Taylor Mays...

Mays is a freak athlete but this is why the combine sucks. People drool over meaningless stats like 40 times and overlook the four years of game film. Mays could develop into a player but as a rookie based off his career at USC, elite QBs would be drooling to face him. It takes a lot more than measureables to be a great safety in the NFL.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone who has said Mays is better than Berry should resign as Bills fans. You make us all look stupid. Stop with all this talk. Berry is already a superstar without playing a snap. Mays is a combine freak that doesn't produce big plays on the field. Sure he's big and fast. But he's not football smart. No comparison between the 2.

Your an idiot from buffalo! I am from the kingdom of south buffalo I live in riverside ca, now and see every single usc game and they have the junior nfl of defenses research how many of pete caroll's players r in the league u may **** in your pants taylor mays can play free or strong in a 3-4 or 4-3 that forty time solidified him as a top twenty five pick! I would trade up in the first round if we could and have him and the byrd man im just sayin !

All you need to see his college production on the field. Forty times are for Al Davis and the other poor drafters.

Don't get greedy dude, you already have the Byrdman back there and just about every other area on this team ASIDE FROM THE SECONDARY needs major help.

Exactly! :lol:

Yeah, but he runs real fast and jumps real high in shorts. He's gotta be a good football player.

GO BILLS!!!

Exactly! Forty times Schmorty times.

If Mays runs a 4.34 forty in a straight line big deal. How does he cut? What are his ball skills? How much field awareness does he have? Is he football smart? Does he work hard? Does he get along with teammates? To me, the answers to those questions far outweigh any forty times.

he will be great on special teams, which is about the only time a football player runs in a straight line... in other drills where not that eye popping, his fluidness with hip rotation and change of direction as well as back pedaling are not above the other top prospects. Getting a big body moving that fast to lay the wood on someone is great, theres nothing I like to see more, however he needs to cover the Wes Welkers in this league who have better footabll speed then him. If he is in the 3rd at the absolute earliest I may consider him depending what is on the board but there are better players to be had.

he will be great on special teams, which is about the only time a football player runs in a straight line... in other drills where not that eye popping, his fluidness with hip rotation and change of direction as well as back pedaling are not above the other top prospects. Getting a big body moving that fast to lay the wood on someone is great, theres nothing I like to see more, however he needs to cover the Wes Welkers in this league who have better footabll speed then him. If he is in the 3rd at the absolute earliest I may consider him depending what is on the board but there are better players to be had.

If a guy runs a 4.25 forty and the guy covering him runs a 4.5 forty the difference is .5 seconds after an 80 yard straight line.

Taylor Mays is STILL a man amongst boys. Dude has a 41' vert and ran the 40 in 4.24 (unofficial), 4.43 (officially).

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/02/not-record...l-sets-db-pace/

I would much rather have him than Eric Berry. Mays is the second coming of Sean Taylor. He could be a serious force in the defensive backfield with Jairus Byrd. I would love to have Byrd - Mays, as our safeties for the next 10 years.

Not to mention...the kid can seriously lay the wood on opposing receivers...and I would LOVE to have somebody that would take Randy Moss' head off as he came across the middle. :lol:

I will NOT be surprised if he goes before Eric Berry.

:lol::lol:

You cant be serious? Most scouts have Mays as only the 3rd or 4th best S on the board. No way in hell he goes ahead of Berry who many consider to be in the top 2 or 3 of players in this draft.

Al Davis is that you?

I'm not a fan of Mays; he may have great size and a fantastic 40 time, but ball skills are nowhere to be found. I've seen a lot of him, and his game consists of roaming the defensive backfield looking for kill shots. That's about it. Kind of like Roy Williams, minus the horse-collar tackles.

Taylor Mays is STILL a man amongst boys. Dude has a 41' vert and ran the 40 in 4.24 (unofficial), 4.43 (officially).

I would much rather have him than Eric Berry. Mays is the second coming of Sean Taylor. He could be a serious force in the defensive backfield with Jairus Byrd. I would love to have Byrd - Mays, as our safeties for the next 10 years.

Not to mention...the kid can seriously lay the wood on opposing receivers...and I would LOVE to have somebody that would take Randy Moss' head off as he came across the middle. <_<

No more Safetys. Address QB and the Lines first.

Your an idiot from buffalo! I am from the kingdom of south buffalo I live in riverside ca, now and see every single usc game and they have the junior nfl of defenses research how many of pete caroll's players r in the league u may **** in your pants taylor mays can play free or strong in a 3-4 or 4-3 that forty time solidified him as a top twenty five pick! I would trade up in the first round if we could and have him and the byrd man im just sayin !

The fact that you -- clearly not a very intelligent person -- are high on Mays further validates my argument that Mays will amount to little in the pros. Thanks for that.

BTW, average age of a TBD'er must be down to about 14 by now.

Actually, I am 27. Nice try a-hole.

Id rather have G Wilson at SS.

Mays makes his money from his workout numbers, not his play on the field. Would you even know who he was if he wasnt 235 and ran a 4.4? He to so average as a football player. Eric Berry is way better thats for sure, but so is Earl Thomas. I agree he may be more of a LB conversion in a Tampa two than a safety.

PS I am pissed his 40 was not in the 4.3s, I wanted Oakland to take him.

Yes, actually I have known who he was since his freshman year. Berry on the other hand just became a hit this season. You people don't understand the difference between the 2?

Eric Berry is like Jairus Byrd...playmakers. Taylor Mays would be the STRONG safety that takes on RB's, TE's and helps in the run game. Byrd is the ballhawk that roams the field to make plays.

Eric Berry reminds me of Michael Huff. Taylor Mays reminds me of Sean Taylor.

Oh and by the way...show me where I said I would take him with the 9th pick?????

Eric Berry reminds me of Michael Huff. Taylor Mays reminds me of Sean Taylor.

There are two thing that are obvious from your post. The first is that you never saw Sean Taylor play a college game because he was as good as any Safety to ever to play at that college level. I believe he had 9 or 10 picks his JR year and was a consensus all american, Big East POY and the Thorpe award winner. He made enormous plays in every Canes game that he played in. He stood out as the best player on a defense that turned out 6 1st round picks. There is no comparison other than size/speed which means sh*t.

Secondly, you must not have watched Taylor Mays either. He has always been overrated. He has zero instincts. Zero ball skills. He misses a ton of tackles. He is a trainwreck in coverage. Go back and look at my posts from the beggining of the season about this guy, I called it before the season started BECAUSE I"VE WATCHED HIM PLAY BEFORE THIS SEASON! He NEVER made a big play in a big game, not once. He was always trying to kill someone and this year teams threw at him all year long. We have 4 safties on this team, including Lil D, who are much better footaball players.

BTW, Eric Berry has done nothing but be completely dominant from day one at UT in the SEC.

There are two thing that are obvious from your post. The first is that you never saw Sean Taylor play a college game because he was as good as any Safety to ever to play at that college level. I believe he had 9 or 10 picks his JR year and was a consensus all american, Big East POY and the Thorpe award winner. He made enormous plays in every Canes game that he played in. He stood out as the best player on a defense that turned out 6 1st round picks. There is no comparison other than size/speed which means sh*t.

Secondly, you must not have watched Taylor Mays either. He has always been overrated. He has zero instincts. Zero ball skills. He misses a ton of tackles. He is a trainwreck in coverage. Go back and look at my posts from the beggining of the season about this guy, I called it before the season started BECAUSE I"VE WATCHED HIM PLAY BEFORE THIS SEASON! He NEVER made a big play in a big game, not once. He was always trying to kill someone and this year teams threw at him all year long. We have 4 safties on this team, including Lil D, who are much better footaball players.

BTW, Eric Berry has done nothing but be completely dominant from day one at UT in the SEC.

^^^What he said^^^

+1

Actually I have been a 'Canes fan for quite some time...although I stopped following them a couple years ago when they dropped Larry Coker. Sean Taylor was 1 of my favorite players.

No, I have not seen much of Mays, other than what is on TV. But, why has the kid been such a hot item for the last 2-3 years? He was a projected 1st rounder last year as well.

My point is...we don't need an Eric Berry type player...we have that in Jairus Byrd.

We need a Steve Atwater/Ronnie Lott type player...and that is Taylor Mays.

USC churns out stars like crazy every year...how many have Tennessee developed over the last 10 years? Compare that to USC...I would take a Pete Carroll coached kid over a Phillip Fulmer/Lane Kiffin coached kid ANY DAY!

A better comparison would be Roy Williams. That being said, Mays never came close to what RW did at OU. Roy Williams was a great college player.

Mays was a "hot prospect" last year but all you ever heard about the guy was that he was a freak athletically. You never heard that he was all over the field making plays.

Not to mention...the kid can seriously lay the wood on opposing receivers...and I would LOVE to have somebody that would take Randy Moss' head off as he came across the middle. <_<

Last year at this time I sang the praises of Mr. Mays. When Byrd started to blossum I, like yourself, thought a Mays/Byrd defensive backfield would be one that could be a force for years. So yes I am a believer that Mays would be an excellent pick up, but a stud up front on the either line might be more important.

He will need every bit of that speed. Every wrong step will take him further out of the play so if ever there was a time to reference "catchup speed," this it it. If it weren't for that elite speed, the closest he'd get to the ball was the bench. He takes poor angles, false steps, and generally doesn't have the football IQ to take advantage of his physical tools. Instead of making him elite, they mask his glaring weaknesses. Someone will think they can teach him though.

Actually I have been a 'Canes fan for quite some time...although I stopped following them a couple years ago when they dropped Larry Coker. Sean Taylor was 1 of my favorite players.

No, I have not seen much of Mays, other than what is on TV. But, why has the kid been such a hot item for the last 2-3 years? He was a projected 1st rounder last year as well.

My point is...we don't need an Eric Berry type player...we have that in Jairus Byrd.

USC churns out stars like crazy every year...how many have Tennessee developed over the last 10 years? Compare that to USC...I would take a Pete Carroll coached kid over a Phillip Fulmer/Lane Kiffin coached kid ANY DAY!

Hmmm...you just said you dont watch him play, only his highlights. Well, you could make a highlight real of just about any player to make him look good by highlighting a couple plays all the while ignoring all the dozens of plays he blew it on. Basing your entire point on some highlights is pretty a pretty weak reason to vault him over the 2nd best player in this entire draft. Mays will be a good pick for someone as the 3rd S to come off the board, but any GM who chose him over Berry should immediately lose their job.

Second, all the scouts, you know the people who make a living watching these guys play, studying tape, etc. all have Mays ranked about 3 or some even as low as 4 amongst the other safeties in the draft. Yet, somehow you want us to draft him ahead of what scouts and GM's feel is a top 3 players period in this draft?

Third, you want to take Mays over Berry because Mays comes from USC and Berry comes from Tenn? Its hard to choose because all these points are pretty dumb, but that might be the dumbest argument you have made about Mays.

I ask again, Al Davis is that you?