"We cant do it all in one year"- Buddy Nix

What position(s) of need will be stop gapped this year?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What position(s) of need will be stop gapped this year?

• LT
    • QB
    • NT
    • LB
    • WR
    • RT

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not saying it that bothers me...its believing it that is a surefire route to failure.

stop·gap   /ˈstɒpˌgæp/ Show Spelled[stop-gap] Show IPA

–noun

1.something that fills the place of something else that is lacking; temporary substitute; makeshift: Candles are a stopgap when the electricity fails.

If Buddy is looking for "temporary expedients" as opposed to rebuilding we are truly doomed.

He should be looking at both. Available long-term solutions for positions where they can get long-term solutions this year, stop-gap solutions for positions where no one available is a long-term solution.

The Bills should have been at least .500 in 2009 and I expect them to be better in 2010. As Nix has said they are not that far away. We would have been at least 8-8 in 2009 if we don't give away the NE* game with McKelvin not gong down when first hit and if we would not have had so many injuries to name just two issues, not to mention the terrible game day coaching. I say the Bills go at least 9-7 in 2010.

I think you are being overly optimistic about last year's record. Their record was 6-10, the last game a win against an immensely better Colt team which mostly played their backups. If that would have been a meaningful game for the Colts the odds are they would have won. Yes, you are right that the Bills were in a good position to win against NE on the road. But the truth of the matter is that New England, overall, is a better team than we are. So are the Jets. And so are the Fins.

What I saw last year from the Bills, whether they won or lost is a lot of bad football.

You are very correct that the Bills suffered an inordinate amount of injuries last year. But those injuries exposed another major weakness of the Bills, a lack of debth. Can the Bills go at least 9-7 next year? I'm not sure. But as I see it we are presently the worst team in the AFC Eastern Div. and next season we are not going to jump ahead of those teams in the div.

My view is more long term than yours. The Bills need to overhaul the roster, bulk up the OL, DL, LB and get a franchise qb. It is going to take at least three quality drafts and some smart personnel moves. I'm not as concerned about the record as I am steadily upgrading the roster to the point that this franchise can become relevant again.

Dallas in the 90's started off rebuilding by getting a QB then adding the pieces around him. Amazing how that works out

That assumes a franchise QB is available. If not, it is not a time to reach - get either a solid NT or LT witrh the 1st pick then focus heavily on what was not selected and RT in subsequent rounds. Gailey has proven successful with less than stellar QB's.

Buddy should be fired if he is talking or thinking "stop gap" instead of rebuilding.

To begin rebuilding...Offensive Line LT and RT, Defensive Line, DT QB (free agent or Vick in a trade). He does that he might go into the playoffs this year..

stop gap....I'm beginning to think we're doomed before the draft.

Dude, Vick would be a stopgap. I think what the original poster was talking about was which starting positions will they be unable to adequately address in FA and draft. They need a starting WR, NT, DE, OLB, QB, RT, LT, and maybe a few more. With an excellent draft, you might be able to find 3 starters. With only 3 or 4 top tier FAs out there that we might need, and none likely to come here for various reasons, a lot of the FAs signed this year are going to be stopgap players. Maybe we can get a DE to start from FA. So now we have four new starters on the team when we need 7 at least. Those three starting positions will most likely be occupied by "stopgap players" - at least in terms of how we look at them when they're signed.

Buddy should be fired if he is talking or thinking "stop gap" instead of rebuilding.

To begin rebuilding...Offensive Line LT and RT, Defensive Line, DT QB (free agent or Vick in a trade). He does that he might go into the playoffs this year..

stop gap....I'm beginning to think we're doomed before the draft.

We have a young team and alot of talent we don't need to rebuild so much as we need to remodel.

Dallas in the 90's started off rebuilding by getting a QB then adding the pieces around him. Amazing how that works out

OMFG give it a rest dude. Do you really have ANY idea how Dallas' offensive line was ranked the few years prior to 1989? For all you know Dallas could have had a competent to outstanding line. That is of course unless you have PROOF or a LINK that says otherwise.

The campaign for Bradford and the QB first strategy is getting really old. You would think there is only one way and one way only to build a championship team or something.

Dude, Vick would be a stopgap. I think what the original poster was talking about was which starting positions will they be unable to adequately address in FA and draft. They need a starting WR, NT, DE, OLB, QB, RT, LT, and maybe a few more. With an excellent draft, you might be able to find 3 starters. With only 3 or 4 top tier FAs out there that we might need, and none likely to come here for various reasons, a lot of the FAs signed this year are going to be stopgap players. Maybe we can get a DE to start from FA. So now we have four new starters on the team when we need 7 at least. Those three starting positions will most likely be occupied by "stopgap players" - at least in terms of how we look at them when they're signed.

If Vick came in he would be our quarter back for two or three years at least. I don't consider that a "stop-gap" or temporary expedient by any means. Buddy maybe "can't do it all" in one year but he can rebuild without relying on stop-gaps. A good draft and good personnel decisions in free agency and trade should bring in two OT's a DT and a DE, a QB (Vick) and a good 3-4 linebacker to go with the stock we have including Maybin (for whatever he may be worth). I don't see it as something that hard to do given the strenght of the offensive and defensive linemen in the draft, the trade potential of Lynch and Whitner and free agency. We'll see...I think stop-gap is a clear loser mentality.

Its not saying it that bothers me...its believing it that is a surefire route to failure.

stop·gap   /ˈstɒpˌgæp/ Show Spelled[stop-gap] Show IPA

–noun

1.something that fills the place of something else that is lacking; temporary substitute; makeshift: Candles are a stopgap when the electricity fails.

If Buddy is looking for "temporary expedients" as opposed to rebuilding we are truly doomed.

Does he really have a choice? The Bills only have so many draft picks, which will only produce so many legit NFL players, while there are only so many free agents, and only so many valuable trade commodities available to Buddy this offseason. It would be nice if there was a way for the Bills to get Bulaga, Dan Williams, Sean Witherspoon, Mcnabb, Charles Brown, Dansby, and Boldin and fill every need with a long term solution or proven impact player but the truth is that it is impossible to accomplish in one offseason.

Fortunately for Dallas, there was a QB worth drafting .

also helped that the Vikings gave them a boatload of picks as ammunition to add those other pieces

If Buddy keeps saying the things he is, the Smithers and his marketeers are going to have some issues selling tickets. This is as close as the organization will admit that they're rebuilding and 2010 isn't going to be fun. Give old Buddy an A for honesty though.

This team could have four first round picks and wouldn't address their desperate needs. It seems like this team perpetually drafts for need every year, whether self-inflicted or not.

The question does not make much sense.

The organization is in disarray, and there are few positions on the team that could not use an upgrade.

I would say that perhaps the biggest spot needing refinement (and even bodies) is on the defensive line. If Schobel, Kelsay, and Ellis are moving to OLB, our LB's will get stronger. But the D-Line will now have atleast 2 holes (DE, NT) to fill.

The offensive line- particularly at the tackle position- are of grave concern.

The Bills should have been at least .500 in 2009 and I expect them to be better in 2010. As Nix has said they are not that far away. We would have been at least 8-8 in 2009 if we don't give away the NE* game with McKelvin not gong down when first hit and if we would not have had so many injuries to name just two issues, not to mention the terrible game day coaching. I say the Bills go at least 9-7 in 2010.

Actually IMO (as always) the Bills lost the NE game because captain checkdown couldn't move the ball 25 yards for a FG try on that last possession.

...probably a discussion for another thread but I'll take any chance I can to spread the bad word about numbn*ts Edwards.

On topic, I actually think as well that the Bills aren't as far off. I said to some buddies after Gailey was hired (which was underwhelming) that if they kept TO (which they didn't), got McNabb (when that was a popular rumour) and signed Joey Porter that they would be a playoff team. Obviously that's not going to happen now, but the secondary was awesome last year, LBs were decimated so that'll have to be fixed but all in all, our D kept opponents off the scoreboard (9 games under 20 pts and we lost 4 of those). Find someone who can move the ball and we may have a playoff team.

Unless for some unknown reason we get a stud available in the draft or FA, im thinking QB, WR, RT will all have temporary fills. DT is up there too. I think they will try and get more out of what they have.

no way we will draft big,big and bigger. mark my words OL/DT/LB and all big ones.

we will adress the receiver and TE in the later rounds!

this draft is taylor made for the bills needs ie:big people its like a dream come true draft for the bills and Nix and Modrak will not screw it up mark my words!

i hope we take linemen in the first 3 or 4 rounds the draft is that strong!

Also, the Chris Chambers to Buffalo connection has been repeated many times but I don't see him as being anything more than a stop gap until Hardy or Johnson can develop properly.

Chris Chambers perhaps might be the most overrated WR in NFL history. The guy makes all the circus ESPN highlight reel catches and then drops the routine balls thrown to him. Had tons of talent, just chose not to maximize his ability and now is on the downside of an average at best career. The dude has had over 70 receptions once and over 1,000 yards once in his career. Where this guy has gotten the reputation of being some all-world receiver that flies under the radar is beyond me.

Entirely new coaching staff. More holes than swiss cheese to be filled by the draft and FA. New defensive scheme. Who knows what the offensive scheme will be. No clue who the QB or #1 WR will be. Predicting a season result now is silly. You might as well use a random number generator where the two numbers add up to 16.

He wasn't saying his prediction was written in stone. It was just a prediction. We know predictions are almost blind this time of year. But everyone makes them. People are already predicting who is going to win the next superbowl. There is nothing wrong with making a prediction. Calm down.

Both Gailey and Nix have histories of successful two-year rebuilding plans with their teams. Of prime consequence this year will be LT and NT. By now, Gailey and his coaching staff have seen enough film to know if any of their QBs have any redeeming value, but a decent rookie QB can be had in round 3. Furthermore, if a strong value ILB or OLB appears, they will likely pounce on the opportunity. Down the draft a ways, they can address DE, WR, and RT.