"We cant do it all in one year"- Buddy Nix

What position(s) of need will be stop gapped this year?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What position(s) of need will be stop gapped this year?

• LT
    • QB
    • NT
    • LB
    • WR
    • RT

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy has repeatedly stated that we can't fill every hole in just one season so which needs does everyone think will be stop gapped this season?

Unless for some unknown reason we get a stud available in the draft or FA, im thinking QB, WR, RT will all have temporary fills. DT is up there too. I think they will try and get more out of what they have.

Definitely LB and WR. I feel like the Bills will look to veterans to solve their 3-4 LB issues (with guys like Larry Foote, Nick Eason or Joey Porter springing to mind).

Also, the Chris Chambers to Buffalo connection has been repeated many times but I don't see him as being anything more than a stop gap until Hardy or Johnson can develop properly.

I truly think the Bills will go into this offseason (particularly the draft) with the desire to find answers at the tackle positions for the long term.

Buddy should be fired if he is talking or thinking "stop gap" instead of rebuilding.

To begin rebuilding...Offensive Line LT and RT, Defensive Line, DT QB (free agent or Vick in a trade). He does that he might go into the playoffs this year..

stop gap....I'm beginning to think we're doomed before the draft.

Dallas in the 90's started off rebuilding by getting a QB then adding the pieces around him. Amazing how that works out

If a potential Pro Bowl QB falls to your lap, of course you take him. But if not, you don't just settle for your 2nd or 3rd choice of a QB and hope he works (see: Losman, JP)

They'll go either QB or LT with their first round pick. They know they have this draft and next year's draft to address both. It will just depend on who's on the board and if better talent will be available next year.

Personally, I'd like to have the QB of the future on the roster for a year learning the system, vs. having a rookie start and expecting to win.

The Bills aren't going to be good next year. Anyone that expects them to be over .500 is living in a fantasy land.

Buddy has repeatedly stated that we can't fill every hole in just one season so which needs does everyone think will be stop gapped this season?

we have options at RT, WR, and QB, so those would be the first positions that I think would be stopgapped.

Im not convinced we even need wrs, or a RT, bell has so much potential, maybe he wasnt the right fir at left but will fit at right, and typically yr 3 is the make or break yr for WR's so, I think SJ & JH will get every opportunity to shine, and I think chan will find ways to utilize and maximize their talents

Dallas in the 90's started off rebuilding by getting a QB then adding the pieces around him. Amazing how that works out

If Aikman is available to us.

I just don't want us drafting a Brady Quinn, JP Losman/ other 1st round loser when the boat has full on leaks everywhere.

What you conveniently left out was that Dallas had the opportunity to get the premier type of qb which can lead to a playoff and championship team. If you are not in the position to get that caliber of qb then you move on and address other critical needs.

The SB winning Saints got their former second round pick qb, Brees, off the free agent market. Prior to getting him they made a number of other draft selections which didn't include a qb. If the Bills had the opportunity to draft Bradford I would be ecstatic. If this front office believed that Clausen was the type of qb who they could build around and then selected him, I would be very supportive. If none of these two qbs are on the board then they have to move on and address the OL and even DL.

This franchise is in shambles. The OL is deficient. The DL is deficient. The receiving corps is deficient. The qb situation is deficient. The LB corps is deficient. There is inadequate depth on the OL, LB positions etc, etc. Needless to say, this roster needs a major overhaul. It is going to take time.

Troy Aikman would be a good choice. Bradford and Clausen aren't Troy Aikman...hell...they aren't much more than Trent Edwards or JP Losman.

Definitely LB and WR. I feel like the Bills will look to veterans to solve their 3-4 LB issues (with guys like Larry Foote, Nick Eason or Joey Porter springing to mind).

Also, the Chris Chambers to Buffalo connection has been repeated many times but I don't see him as being anything more than a stop gap until Hardy or Johnson can develop properly.

I truly think the Bills will go into this offseason (particularly the draft) with the desire to find answers at the tackle positions for the long term.

I wasn't even thinking about WR and LB, but you are exactly right on, I think. QB unless we get one of the top two. I see an FA as a right tackle, and probably not a high-priced guy, but if Whaley does his job, perhaps not just a place-holder either.

Buddy should be fired if he is talking or thinking "stop gap" instead of rebuilding.

To begin rebuilding...Offensive Line LT and RT, Defensive Line, DT QB (free agent or Vick in a trade). He does that he might go into the playoffs this year..

stop gap....I'm beginning to think we're doomed before the draft.

Right, Buddy shouldn't use the words, but that doesn't mean he's not thinking it. But it's too blunt for PR, and how would the player feel?

But we can say it.

They'll go either QB or LT with their first round pick. They know they have this draft and next year's draft to address both. It will just depend on who's on the board and if better talent will be available next year.

Personally, I'd like to have the QB of the future on the roster for a year learning the system, vs. having a rookie start and expecting to win.

The Bills aren't going to be good next year. Anyone that expects them to be over .500 is living in a fantasy land.

The Bills should have been at least .500 in 2009 and I expect them to be better in 2010. As Nix has said they are not that far away. We would have been at least 8-8 in 2009 if we don't give away the NE* game with McKelvin not gong down when first hit and if we would not have had so many injuries to name just two issues, not to mention the terrible game day coaching. I say the Bills go at least 9-7 in 2010.

Troy Aikman would be a good choice. Bradford and Clausen aren't Troy Aikman...hell...they aren't much more than Trent Edwards or JP Losman.

Yes, they are Troy Aikman. I know it.

Which makes as much sense as saying that they "aren't much more than Trent Edwards or JP Losman." What you've got there is a guess. Don't pretend it's a fact.

What you 've got there is a guess, and not one shared by all the pundits. Far from it. If you look at their stats, actually, you see that Bradford and Clausen had college careers as good as and in some ways superior to Aikman's. Aikman had a 64.4% completion percentage in his senior year, for instance. Both this year's guys are well above that.

No one right now can give anywhere near a decent prediction of how we're gonna do this year until after FA & the draft are over with. So far, I really like Buddy Nix and he's being up front with everyone by saying "we can't do it all in one year." For the last 4 years during the Jauron era, we've been a sub-par team, so obviously the schemes and some of the players aren't working, so Nix and company have no choice but to change things. If that change takes 2-3 years to finally build a powerhouse like how Nix helped built in San Diego, then I'm all for it.

I say the Bills go at least 9-7 in 2010.

Entirely new coaching staff. More holes than swiss cheese to be filled by the draft and FA. New defensive scheme. Who knows what the offensive scheme will be. No clue who the QB or #1 WR will be. Predicting a season result now is silly. You might as well use a random number generator where the two numbers add up to 16.

Right, Buddy shouldn't use the words, but that doesn't mean he's not thinking it. But it's too blunt for PR, and how would the player feel?

But we can say it.

Its not saying it that bothers me...its believing it that is a surefire route to failure.

stop·gap   /ˈstɒpˌgæp/ Show Spelled[stop-gap] Show IPA

–noun

1.something that fills the place of something else that is lacking; temporary substitute; makeshift: Candles are a stopgap when the electricity fails.

If Buddy is looking for "temporary expedients" as opposed to rebuilding we are truly doomed.