Marv - worst GM in history of NFL?

sharper802

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That can't be true. There's only been 44 Super Bowls, so...

A frickin mod thinks that the NFL was incepted in 1965 when they played the first Super Bowl? Giants-Colts? Yankee Stadium? Greatest game ever played? Either you are in high school or know zilch about football which puzzles me being that you have posted over 2,000 times. Don't quit your day job...

A frickin mod thinks that the NFL was incepted in 1965 when they played the first Super Bowl? Giants-Colts? Yankee Stadium? Greatest game ever played? Either you are in high school or know zilch about football which puzzles me being that you have posted over 2,000 times. Don't quit your day job...

I am hoping he was joking.

If/when Whitner is traded/released will that cement Marv as the worst GM in NFL history? I know Millen was awful but Marv's decisions wereworse. Not trading down when Denver offered, Tutan Reyes, Bennie Anderson, trading up for McCargo and Poz, grossly overpaying for langston Walker, Robert Royal, Derrick Dockery, and listening to a cancer riddled Bill Walsh about Trent. Fred Jackson. That's his only contribution....

This is a bit extreme. Marv built an just below average team. That makes Marv a pedestrian GM at best. WORST EVER? The team Millen Built went 31-94 which amounts to a 25% winning rate, The team Marv built went 27-37 for 42%. There may be a slight variation based on the time line but in general Marv was not horrible just not good.

You gotta think if you haven't climbed the ladder to GM in 80 years you probably aren't the best guy for the job. Worst ever? NO

Right now I am much more interested in what Buddy Nix will do.

I am hoping he was joking.

More of an inside joke to KRC, as we both get a laugh out of the Sportscenter generation's opinion on the history of the game, which usually starts from Super Bowl I.

A frickin mod thinks that the NFL was incepted in 1965 when they played the first Super Bowl?

Sure. Why not?

Giants-Colts? Yankee Stadium? Greatest game ever played?

Can't say I recall those.

Either you are in high school or know zilch about football which puzzles me being that you have posted over 2,000 times.

Well, I am hoping that I finally get that elusive diploma this year. Oh, and it's 20,000 plus, but who's counting?

Don't quit your day job...

I'll keep studying for my tests while you continue helping the masses as an accountant.

that is very possibly the dumbest statement ever made on this board - and that is really saying something - but it did come from a mod (hehehehehehehe) - maybe it's time to up the voltage

This is probably the least informed response. But, what do I know? I'm still in high school.

What about Mularkey then? He worked wonders with every QB he has ever had except two - Losman and Joey Harrington. Coincidence?

First, Bill Walsh stated it usually take 3-4 years to develop a QB properly. That is of course provided he is with the same team, coaches, system.

You seem to forget Losman had some really good games in 06 and was projected to have a really good 07 but then Steve Fairchild left and Turd Schonert took over and things went downhill.

JP had Mularkey and Jauron as head coaches, Sam Wyche-Turk Schonert- Alex Van pelt as QB coaches-Steve Fairchild-Turk Schonert-Alex Van pelt as offensive coordinators. Talk about being in a bad situation and in a job where you are still learning your craft and your bosses change every year. That alone was not a very conducive environment for learning.

I don't fault JP Losman for his failure, I blame Jauron for not hiring an experienced offensive coordinator once Steve Fairchild left.

Not for nothing but Steve Fairchild was never even an actual offensive coordinator until he came to Buffalo, he was the "assistant" OC at St Louis where Mike Martz called the plays.

You draft a guy with a #1 pick and then surround him with morons to teach him is an absolute formula for failure.

You realize in his two drafts the Bills drafted two Pro Bowlers don't you? Lynch and K Williams have both been named to Pro Bowls

Being "named" to the Pro Bowl and being voted in are two very different things. Neither player deserves the title "Pro Bowl player," for what it's worth.

That said, Marv was not even the worst Bills GM, as others have pointed out.

Being "named" to the Pro Bowl and being voted in are two very different things. Neither player deserves the title "Pro Bowl player," for what it's worth.

Unfortunately, it isn't worth what it once was. Considering how many players get voted in, then cancel out for a variety of reasons, only to have replacement guys come in, many of whom will follow suit and cancel out, then you get the third choices and so on, the Pro Bowl has become a shell of what it once was.

More of an inside joke to KRC, as we both get a laugh out of the Sportscenter generation's opinion on the history of the game, which usually starts from Super Bowl I.

Sure. Why not?

Can't say I recall those.

Well, I am hoping that I finally get that elusive diploma this year. Oh, and it's 20,000 plus, but who's counting?

I'll keep studying for my tests while you continue helping the masses as an accountant.

This is probably the least informed response. But, what do I know? I'm still in high school.

I hope I didn't come off like a jerk (I know I did actually), but dude, it's just kind of weird that you're a obviously a very casual football fan yet you have dedicated a good chunk of your life to posting on a football talk board. I know a ridiculous amount about football and you literally have over 40 times more posts than me. For instance, I kind of like the show Frasier. It's OK, I know a little about it; if it's on, I might watch a re-run here and there, but I don't make 20,000 posts on a Frasier website.

If/when Whitner is traded/released will that cement Marv as the worst GM in NFL history? I know Millen was awful but Marv's decisions wereworse. Not trading down when Denver offered, Tutan Reyes, Bennie Anderson, trading up for McCargo and Poz, grossly overpaying for langston Walker, Robert Royal, Derrick Dockery, and listening to a cancer riddled Bill Walsh about Trent. Fred Jackson. That's his only contribution....

MATT MILLEN 31-84 record overall with the Lions...look at who they drafted when he was there..... This guy has to be one of the worst (if not the worst) GM's in the history of the NFL.

MATT MILLEN 31-84 record overall with the Lions...look at who they drafted when he was there..... This guy has to be one of the worst (if not the worst) GM's in the history of the NFL.

For some reason I feel like his record should be worse than that ya know?

Marv !@#$ed up on 2 1st round picks mainly Whitner and McCargo with McCargo being a late 1st round pick. Millen messed up top ten after top ten picks while in Detroit missed consistently on free agents. I mean he drafted Charles Rodgers and Joey Harrington both in the top 5 and both were busts, he also drafted Mike Williams in the top 10 another wiff. The Millen era had such a prolonged resume of failure that its not even close to what Marv 2.0 did.

Yes Marv's one year was a disaster BUT we got Freddie that's something and he didn't miss on 3 top 10 picks with two of them being top 5 picks.

And Poz, Kyle Williams, Kieth Ellison was well worth the pick we gave for him, several of them contribute. Whitner still might end up being an excellent safety. Lynch is a pro bowl RB and coaching and an improper system has been responsible for Trent.

You could have 100,000 post and that doesn't mean you know what your talking about. It actually seems like some of the guys with fewer post actually know more about football than the idiots that like to run their mouths. Alot of post means that you could not shut down an arguement with undisputable facts.

Unfortunately, it isn't worth what it once was. Considering how many players get voted in, then cancel out for a variety of reasons, only to have replacement guys come in, many of whom will follow suit and cancel out, then you get the third choices and so on, the Pro Bowl has become a shell of what it once was.

I would just add the caveat that once the starters and/or backups declare themselves out, the alternates are selected by the coaches and not by the order of fan/player voting. In a way being selected by the coaches to play in the game better validates a player's credentials to be there as it has nothing to do with the popularity vote of the fans and players. It's the popularity vote aspect of the Pro Bowl process that makes it less than it once was.

GO BILLS!!!

You could have 100,000 post and that doesn't mean you know what your talking about. It actually seems like some of the guys with fewer post actually know more about football than the idiots that like to run their mouths. Alot of post means that you could not shut down an arguement with undisputable facts.

What argument would you be referring to? An inside joke made to someone else was misconstrued.