Thoughts on Bills' DT's

Simon

Sam Adams- Like everybody else, I've really enjoyed watching The Keg getting upfield since the Bills staff apparently removed the leash. Seeing that enormous man get off the ball and use his paws like a cat is simply mind-boggling. But there's something I thikn we should keep in mind, and that is that we're not going to be playing the pass-happy Rams and Cardinals every week. I missed the Cards game but there were a couple instances in the Rams game where Keg's surreal jump created space where Jackson stung us with a nice pick-up. Like running too many stunts, getting your DT's upfield can create huge lanes that can hurt a defense's effort vs the groundgame. While I don't necessarily want to see him screwed into the ground, I think the Bills should really pay attention to down/distance when considering their use of Adams in a lot of circumstances (i.e. vs. Seattle).

Pat Williams- I've been one of Phat Pat's biggest fans in his tenure here and strongly feel he's been one of the NFL's very best DT's over the last 5 years. This year, with perhaps his only opportunity to score a huge contract, I expected Pat to have his best year ever, which would have been something to see. But I wonder if I'm the only one who is wondering if Phat Pat is finally hearing the call of FatherTime. I'm not saying he's sucked or been subpar, far from it. But I don't see teh same pop in his game that we've become accustomed to over the last 5 years. He continues to draw a lot of doubles like he always has but the instances where he beats them have seemed to steadily decline this season. Did I just expect too much from a 30+ DT in his contract year or are others seeing the same thing as well?

Ron Edwards- Another contract year question. Did Edwards sign an extension in the offseason? I think somebody got me up to date on this earlier in the year but a prematurely addled brain has reared itself again. If he did, then I'm pleased as punch because 1) he's a rapidly improving player whose locked up for another year at a reasonable rate and 2) it shows his performance this year may not be the sole result of his desire for mo' money, mo' money, mo' money. So when does this guy's current contract expire?

Tim Anderson- Is this guy still here on Planet Earth? Has anybody even seen him dressed this year? I'm not running around screaming bust but I haven't seen enough from Bannan or Sape to keep a high 3rdround pick in civvies every week. Hopefully the Bills are just allowing him to develop strength and technique before he earns his reps but I'd like to know if anybody has seen or heard anything about this guy this year.

Ron Edwards signed a 1 year extension before the season worth 1 million.

So is that extension for next year? Does this mean he is still under contract for another season after this one?

We are one more white guy away from having the most dominant group of down field tacklers the league has ever seen.

Yeah, except for the little problem that those "white guys" have been spending a significant amount of time in opposing backfields.

I can only assume that the primary reason for drafting Anderson was to replace Fat Pat. This seems to be TDs MO in that he drafts a player a year b4 he needs to replace a soon to be expensive FA. Obviously SA & PW are top notch. Edwards seems to be able to contribute as well (I think he has like 4 sacks). Bannan is competent, so that's why Anderson is constantly inactive.

Sorta seems like TD subscribed to Levy's old adage that the only good rookie is last years.

This seems to be TDs MO in that he drafts a player a year b4 he needs to replace a soon to be expensive FA.

This is what has me thinking that the possibility of Mike Williams at LT next year is much greater than most people are even willing to consider.

As for Anderson having to wait a year for his snaps, I'm thinking you're on the money.

Cya

Yeah, except for the little problem that those "white guys" have been spending a significant amount of time in opposing backfields.

132951[/snapback]

Kidding aside I really like Kelsey's run support, and Schobel plays well against average OT's. For Schobel to become a complete player he needs to work on his power moves. To often Schobel takes himself out of plays by trying to loop around OT's. Even taking that into account he is still a very good DE against the pass and the run.

good post simon. I too have been wondering about Pat. I think he might be slowing down some, and I think T Anderson was brought in to replace him. I think it's funny that people are writing him off just because he's been inactive. How could a rookie penetrate our DLine rotation? Besides, Krumrie loved the kid, so he's *going* to be good.

Trust it.

RE: Sam, I think Sam is every bit as huge a FA pickup by donahoe as Spikes. There is NO OTHER DT IN THE LEAGUE that's as fast off the ball. And you're right...watching him use his hands is jaw-dropping. He's an incredible player who has two modes:

Good, and Unstoppable.

Most teams figured him a good player not worth his "mercenary" money that he demanded. TD knew better. Krumrie knew better. BAM. If he doesn't go to the probowl this year, something's amiss.

RE: Edwards, he has one of the strongest side punches you'll ever see. If he swings his right arm into the left shoulder of a guard or center, that guy WILL move to his right and give Ron a lane to the QB. He's done it about 6 times, and got penetration every time.

his contract is 650000 this year and 1 mill next. I hope we lock him longer-term

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/playerProfile.asp?ID=30145

Simon, you are correct in that PW hasn't "stood out" as much this season as in past years. At times it almost seems as if in taking the leash off of SA, they have assigned PW as more of the plugger, while SA disrupts the backfield. I'd almost say at times it's like they are running, in a scheme sense, a 3-4, where PW is the Nose Tackle and SA is a Blitzer or 4th Linebacker if you will.

I agree also that at times the quick penetration will create gaps that shouldn't occur in this defense (ie. the SA sideline incident). I'd bet that the coaches were pissed at him for losing inside lane responsibility during that heated moment. He wanted to "show them" that he could rush the passer and play on third down. Funny, I think they both were right . :P

Schobel plays well against average OT's

I think that's been sort of a left-handed compliment for him up until this year. He didn't burst on the scene like some young DE's have but unlike most other DE's he's been getting better and better for 4 years straight now. In the last month we've seen him have very good games against John Ogden, Orlando Pace, Jason Fabini and Leonard Davis. Those are 4 highly regarded LT's and Schobel has given trouble to every one of them.

Cya

I think that's been sort of a left-handed compliment for him up until this year. He didn't burst on the scene like some young DE's have but unlike most other DE's he's been getting better and better for 4 years straight now. In the last month we've seen him have very good games against John Ogden, Orlando Pace, Jason Fabini and Leonard Davis. Those are 4 highly regarded LT's and Schobel has given trouble to every one of them.

Cya

132986[/snapback]

Yep.

his contract is 650000 this year and 1 mill next. I hope we lock him longer-term

That's what I was hunting and this bodes very, very well for the Bills.

Thanx mac

At times it almost seems as if in taking the leash off of SA, they have assigned PW as more of the plugger, while SA disrupts the backfield.

It sort of seems that way to me as well, and if this is an intentional design I'd like to give big props to Phat Pat for doing his job and keeping his mouth shut even though his role as a spaceeater could cost him some real money.

I'd bet that the coaches were pissed at him for losing inside lane responsibility during that heated moment. He wanted to "show them" that he could rush the passer and play on third down. Funny, I think they both were right .

The mutual respect shown in that potentially damaging scenario gets real respect from me. There's a lot of hard-assed staffs (miserable people to play for and frequently unsuccesful) and front-offices that would have been frustrated enough to take the opportunity to show who makes the rules 'round here. Instead the Bills apparently took Sam's opinion seriously and did something to accomodate him. The result of that patience and swallowing of egos has been massively beneficial to all parties and I laud everybody involved with it.

Cya

Cya

132986[/snapback]

And every one of those LT's you mention ALL Bills fans would love to have on this team. Look Schobel is a damn solid DE. There are no 'Greats' anymore. No more reggies or Bruces. Each year he seems to find one aspect of his game and improve.

Yeah God forbid we actually have two white DE's that succeed huh? that just can't happen in the NFL can it? :P:w00t:

Also I agree....where the hell IS Anderson? And Yeah I believe Edwards is under contract for next year. That is good esp when we most likely won't keep Phat Pat.

That is good esp when we most likely won't keep Phat Pat

Considering Pat's quiet year, I'm beginning to wonder if we might actually be able to hang onto him. If the rest of the league watches film and decides he's just aged into nothing more than an effective sponge, we might actually be able to keep him around for another 2-3 years at a reasonable rate. I love this guy's 'tude and toughness and would be thrilled to see him finish his career here and find his way onto the Wall of Fame.

Cya

Cya

132986[/snapback]

I don't think its a left-handed compliment at all. He is a improving good DE, the problem is he just got a contract that demands that he is not just a good DE but that he is a top notch DE. Your saying that he played well against those OT's and I'm not going to refute that statement because at times he has. What he has also done since he became a Bill is disappear for long stretches at a time.

In his fourth season he still has not found a way to beat OT's to the inside and until he does that he won't warrant consistent double teams. Schobel is a very good to great edge pass rusher but until he can come inside and show some power he won't be a top notch player.

I don't know about you but when I don't hear Schobels name called for long periods at a time it does not come as a surprise. He has a couple of monster stat inflating games per year and then is a shadow the rest of the way. Do it with some consistency, do it threw double teams like the elite DE's in this league, he does that and I will jump on the wagon. Until then he is just a good DE.

In all this great football discussion everyone's forgotten Justin Bannan, the guy who's keeping Tim Anderson inactive every week.

I swear I tried to give him a paragraph in the original post, but damned if I could think of anything to say about him. He's just so, so, so.......vanilla. Even his gently rhythmic name is sorta sleep-inducing. :P

I swear I tried to give him a paragraph in the original post, but damned if I could think of anything to say about him. He's just so, so, so.......vanilla.  Even his gently rhythmic name is sorta sleep-inducing. :P

133031[/snapback]

Bruce S,, Talley and (sometimes) Bennett got all the headlines while Hansen just soldiered along -

Good times :w00t:

I think Tim Anderson was drafted by TD as part of his project to build the NFL's first 100% high motor defensive line. We are one more white guy away from having the most dominant group of down field tacklers the league has ever seen.

132946[/snapback]

wonder if TD will try to lure zach thomas from the dolphins. he sounds like an integral part of that defense