NFL Rumor - Detroit Lions Shopping Second Overall Pick.

Steely Dan

I'm sure Buddy Nix will pass on this. Link

Jason La Canfora reported this morning that the Lions have been actively shopping their first-round pick, the second overall in the draft, in an attempt to pick up an extra three or four later selections.

Even though the league is most likely entering an uncapped year, the standard rookie salary pool will continue to be in place for the 2010 NFL Draft. That said- even under the current system, a player drafted in the top two overall is never exactly a bargain. And the Lions already had to dole out big contracts to two first-round picks last year. But given all the other financial volatility surrounding the upcoming season, barring a team with an obvious need for a defensive tackle, it may be more difficult than in past years to find another franchise willing to give Detroit what it wants for that selection.

This is a deal that is one player away from contending should make, JMO

With Nix and Gailey calling the shots now, it is much more likely the Bills will trade down to try to get more picks to fill more holes, especially with the switch to the 3-4. I think Nix will feel confident that he can find good players in all the rounds. The point is Nix has everything to gain by having many draft picks where he can show his mettle in picking great players and everything to lose by putting all of his eggs in a basket for one potentially awesome player. If that potentially awesome player didn't pan out big time he would look like an idiot as a GM. If he gets several good players and the team clearly improves he will be given credit for starting to turn things around.

If the Bills scouts have a franchise label on either Bradford or Clausen & St. Louis didn't take their guy, be bold & trade up & get him. We'll never win without a QB. Get the OTs in free agency or a combo of other rounds & free agency.

Or they could trade up to get the nt that is so needed in the 3-4. The two tackles at the top are supposed to be great, and McCoy may be better than Suh.

There is no conceivable scenario (at least to me) that would justify the Bills giving up at least their 2nd and probably 3rd

picks this year to move up and take ANY player in this draft. Go back a couple of years and change Suh's name for

Glenn Dorsey and you'll get an idea. Dorsey was touted as a dominant DT and he has done nothing for a bad KC

team in 2 years.

None of these guys are sure things and the Bills have so many holes that they can't afford to give up picks.

If I were the Lions, I would want to trade down. They need a lot more than 1 player...as for us...we are in a similar situation...

Moving up 7 spots isn't going to do a whole lot for us...except take away other draft picks...

PASS!

I'm with the poster above. The only way I trade up is if Nix has a franchise grade on one of the two QBs.

You can't handicap your whole draft for one great player when you have so many holes. Trading down to gather picks would be the smartest option. Not even a argument. Only way you do it is if you have a surefire Peyton Manning at the top. THAT'S IT.

Ahh, yes, but isn't that the big challenge? Manning was considered less a surefire selection than Ryan Leaf. How'd that turn out?

As much as we need a stud NT to effectively implement a 3-4, we NEED more than that. Gailey doesn't impress me as a Ditka type who's willing to trade away a full draft season for one unproven player. I'm of the belief we stand pat or trade down a bit for an extra, early pick.

I'm sure Buddy Nix will pass on this. Link

Jason La Canfora reported this morning that the Lions have been actively shopping their first-round pick, the second overall in the draft, in an attempt to pick up an extra three or four later selections.

Even though the league is most likely entering an uncapped year, the standard rookie salary pool will continue to be in place for the 2010 NFL Draft. That said- even under the current system, a player drafted in the top two overall is never exactly a bargain. And the Lions already had to dole out big contracts to two first-round picks last year. But given all the other financial volatility surrounding the upcoming season, barring a team with an obvious need for a defensive tackle, it may be more difficult than in past years to find another franchise willing to give Detroit what it wants for that selection.

This is a deal that is one player away from contending should make, JMO

I believe that teams should be able to pick what pick they want. If the worst team wants the 5th pick, the 2nd worst can take the 1st and so on. I think the salaries paid to the top picks really hinders a team.

I believe that teams should be able to pick what pick they want. If the worst team wants the 5th pick, the 2nd worst can take the 1st and so on. I think the salaries paid to the top picks really hinders a team.

They can do that if they want. Once you are on the clock, if you don't make a pick, then the next team in line can pick ahead of you.