Jim Kelly and Pat Kelly?

johnk

I cannot understand why Pat Kelly, Jim's brother and the linebacker that played for the Colts and Lions - does not have a "historical players" listing on the NFL.com page, since they seem to list every single player who made a team and played even one game for them, but you were right that Jim does in fact have a brother Pat, who did in fact preceed Jim into the NFL.

Well, Dean Cain is not listed either, but I can not recall if he had played in a pre-season game, or got cut before he could. It also doesn't list my neighbor who claims to have played for the Jets, but I've never seen proof of it. He does have the "old NFL player" shuffle walk though and seems to be the right age to have played for them in the 60's. So maybe they don't list someone unless they played in a regular season game.

Well, Dean Cain is not listed either, but I can not recall if he had played in a pre-season game, or got cut before he could. It also doesn't list my neighbor who claims to have played for the Jets, but I've never seen proof of it. He does have the "old NFL player" shuffle walk though and seems to be the right age to have played for them in the 60's. So maybe they don't list someone unless they played in a regular season game.

As I understand it, unless a player actually makes an NFL roster, he is not considered an NFL player. There are guys, even today who fall into this category. Take, for instance, Cullen Harper, former Clemson QB. He is often referred to as a former NFL QB, having played for the Buffalo Bills. As a card collector, I know, there is even an autographed trading card out there of him, issued by Upper Deck, in a Bill uniform (practice gear)...he was merely braught in for a tryout by the Bills, but never made the squad. Like Cain, you will never see him officially listed in the annals of Bills history, as a former Buffalo Bill. I suspect that Jimbo's brother had tryouts with a the Lions and Colts, but never made the final cuts, so he is not listed as an NFL player.

Incidentally, my sisters old finance, from the early 1970's had a tryout with the Bills, during OJ's time, and made it through to the last cuts. He was an offensive guard. He suffered injuries in college (UB) and again in Bills training camp. I remember watching him practice with the Bills, standing yards away from OJ. To me, he was a Buffalo Bill...he got cut, and, now he doesn't exist as part of Bill history (or my sisters history!)...