Jim Kelly and Pat Kelly?

johnk

• I graduated from R.L. Thomas HS in Webster NY.
  • We had a remarkable athlete named Pat Kelly who graduated in the late 70's.
  • Pat Kelly then attended SU and then joined Denver Broncos.
  • Does anybody know anymore about the Kelly's story. Like why was Pat in Webster NY and Jim in East Brady PA.
  • I was just thinking how neat it would have been to have Jim in High School with me and my brother.
  • BTW: Pat died from Cancer in his early 30's.

Thanks for any info.... GO BILLS...

This investigative journey started when I was checking which USFL teams Jim played for. I was using WIKI and it said this....

University of Miami

Kelly wanted to attend Penn State under Joe Paterno, but he was not offered a quarterback scholarship, instead they offered him a scholarship at linebacker. His brother, Pat, already an NFL player, advised Jim to look for a school offering a quarterback scholarship instead. He went to the University of Miami. At Miami he played an important role in helping build the University of Miami into one of the nation's premier collegiate football programs. He finished his career at Miami with 406 completions in 646 attempts for 5,233 yards and 32 TD's. This performance earned Kelly a place in the University of Miami Hall of Fame when he was inducted in 1992.[5]

Then I found this from NFL.COM, the only Pat Kelly listed.

Pat Kelly

Height: 6-6 Weight: 252 Deceased

Born: 10/29/1965 Rochester , NY

College: Syracuse

Experience: 4 Seasons

layer Name NFL Experience Years of Service Career Stats Hall of Fame

Kelly, Pat 4 Years 1988 - 1991 Rec: 4 Yds: 17 Avg: 4.2 TD: 0

Did his brother play in the NFL. Strange that the NFL.COM website would miss his playng data.

• Does anybody know anymore about the Kelly's story. Like why was Pat in Webster NY and Jim in East Brady PA.
  • I was just thinking how neat it would have been to have Jim in High School with me and my brother.

That Pat Kelly is not Jim's brother.

This article puts it to rest...

http://showbiznews.info/2008/03/16/jim-kel...ars-kelly-gang/

While it doesnt mention Pat by name, it mentions Jim had all his brothers with him at this 2008 event for Hunter's Hope. One of his older brothers also played some football at either the college or professional level briefly (although I can't remember which one, it probably was the East Brady Pat Kelly). Bottom line the Rochester Pat Kelly is not the East Brady Pat Kelly.

and for what its worth, Pat Kelly...Jimbo's brother lives/lived in midlothian virginia and was one of the coaches on the monacan hs team, his son played QB there then moved on to University of Richmond..Jimbo's other brother...name escapes me...also lives/lived in the richmond area, as did Jim for a few years

Dan Kelly, I think

IIRC, one of Jim Kelly's brothers (probably Dan Kelly) was said to have played in the NFL, briefly. I remember finding out (though I don't recall how, now) that Jimbo's brother was with the Detroit Lions, as a pre-season free agent, who was cut, before the real thing started...I think this was late 70's. Not sure how I came to know this, but I remember asking around, before the days of the internet... so Jimbo's brother was an NFL'er, the same way people say Dean Cain was a Buffalo Bill.

Very Sad to hear he died so young. I knew Pat in Spry Jr High, but not much after that. he went to RLT and I to HWS

Number one, the Pat Kelly you have bio'ed above is not the brother of Jim Kelly. But you are correct that Jim does have a brother named Pat, and that Pat Kelly did have a brief NFL career as a linebacker. Here is the link with proof of that fact, taken from an old article about the Kelly family back when Jim was a star in the USFL:

"The scene in Jim Kelly's home is noteworthy because in America today the family is about as sacred as beef fat. Oh, we give it plenty of lip service, we like the idea of it, but the Kellys believe in it. They are tighter than the Cleavers. They get together for any reason. Two other brothers would be here, but one's wife is having a baby back in Virginia, where the brothers live. One of them, Pat, played linebacker for the Colts and Detroit Lions."

I cannot understand why Pat Kelly, Jim's brother and the linebacker that played for the Colts and Lions - does not have a "historical players" listing on the NFL.com page, since they seem to list every single player who made a team and played even one game for them, but you were right that Jim does in fact have a brother Pat, who did in fact preceed Jim into the NFL.