Top 5 Rock Guitar Solos Of All Time

truth on hold

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric Clapton; While my guitar gently weeps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfNMrnTlK-w

This is a phenomenal version of that song;

McCartney and Clapton

Great song that survives multiple remakes intact.

How about this version:

This George Harrison version is one of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7qpfGVUd8c

Knopfler - "Sultans" is one of those songs that I think has lost luster from overplay/familiarity - but then you hear it again and listen close and get blown away all over again. Used to love this band - some great solos on "Tunnel of Love", "Telegraph Road", "Once Upon a Time in the West" - God, now I want to pull out all my old Dire Straits CDs (LPs?) :wallbash: (was always amazed the restraint Knopfler showed playing - you knew if he wanted he could go completely off the wall - but sometimes knowing when to be subtle can have such a stronger impact)

Knopfler is my favorite. You may not be aware, but he has several post Dire Straits solo albums. He may be a better songwriter than guitarist. Check out the solo stuff if you haven't. It has a little bit of everything (rock, country - even a CD of duets with Emmylou Harris -, Bluegrass, story-telling, ballads, Blues and more.). There is always guitar and it is as restrained as you remember. Check out "Boom Like That", "Song for Sonny Liston", So Far From the Clyde", I'm the Fool (later covered by Randy Travis), "Heart Full of Holes", "In the Sky", "Silvertown Blues", "Sands of Nevada", and "5:15 AM"if you have to limit yourself. Don't limit yourself.

But for the guitar solo thread, I'll go with the solo on

He's touring the US in the spring and I'll get to see him for the first time. In case you can't tell from the post, I'm pretty psyched.

EDIT: "I'm the Fool" was not covered by Randy Travis. It was a song called "Are We in Trouble now?".

Knopfler is my favorite. You may not be aware, but he has several post Dire Straits solo albums. He may be a better songwriter than guitarist. Check out the solo stuff if you haven't. It has a little bit of everything (rock, country - even a CD of duets with Emmylou Harris -, Bluegrass, story-telling, ballads, Blues and more.). There is always guitar and it is as restrained as you remember. Check out "Boom Like That", "Song for Sonny Liston", So Far From the Clyde", I'm the Fool (later covered by Randy Travis), "Heart Full of Holes", "In the Sky", "Silvertown Blues", "Sands of Nevada", and "5:15 AM"if you have to limit yourself. Don't limit yourself.

But for the guitar solo thread, I'll go with the solo on

He's touring the US in the spring and I'll get to see him for the first time. In case you can't tell from the post, I'm pretty psyched.

I almost posted Telegraph Road, too. It is Dire Strait's finest, IMO.

Loved Knopfler's work with Emmylou (she's fabulous) and like his playing style. But he really isn't a flashy soloist most of the time. As you note, he tends to be restrained.

Here are some clips.....

Randy Rhoads w/ Ozzie - Suicide Solution (Live) Solo Break at 4:45

Eddie Van Halen - Eruption (Live) Dude can eat a hoagie, get a bj from Valerie Bertonelli, and play this at the same time.

Stanley Jordan - Somewhere Over the Rainbow - If you never heard this guy play, you may drop a deuce in your pants. He does Stairway to Heaven et al, but this is pretty amazing stuff. Find his 20 minute version of Bolero if you want a show.

Stanley Jordan

Paul Bollenbeck - Back Home Again In Indiana - Solo starts at 6:00 but the entire song is ripping w/ Joey DeFrancesco on Organ. I have no idea who the kid in the video is, but God bless him.

This guy is jazz, but damn good and has on-line youtube tutorial.

Here are some clips.....

Randy Rhoads w/ Ozzie - Suicide Solution (Live) Solo Break at 4:45

Eddie Van Halen - Eruption (Live) Dude can eat a hoagie, get a bj from Valerie Bertonelli, and play this at the same time.

Whenever someone mentions Eddie Van Halen as a great guitar soloist......I want to get back into my car and drive through that stop sign again (if I were Clip Smith).