(LAMP) Just started week 2 of P90X

WVUFootball29

Just finished week 4 of P90X this morning. I was pretty much in the same boat as el Tigre, mostly heavier weights for a while on and off.....so far I've only lost 8 lbs but I've put on a real good amount of new muscle. I already had perfect pullup and pushup along with lots of dumbells so I've been able to get the full benefit IMO. Even though I said I've only lost 8 lbs I've taken off almost 4 inches on my waist, so the muscle to fat ratio has been going good. Kinda let myself go for a little while there........

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished week 4 of P90X this morning. I was pretty much in the same boat as el Tigre, mostly heavier weights for a while on and off.....so far I've only lost 8 lbs but I've put on a real good amount of new muscle. I already had perfect pullup and pushup along with lots of dumbells so I've been able to get the full benefit IMO. Even though I said I've only lost 8 lbs I've taken off almost 4 inches on my waist, so the muscle to fat ratio has been going good. Kinda let myself go for a little while there........

I'm 2 months into the program, just starting the recovery week 8, and the workouts just don't get any easier. I haven't been following a strict diet though, although trying to watch what I eat, probably why I have only lost 7 pounds so far. But I have definitely got stronger and starting to see some definition. I started playing basketball again and I am quicker and jumping higher than I had in years, mostly due to the Plyometrics routine. It will probably be more like the P180X before I get to where I want to be, but I know if I continue with this program I will get there...

I'm 2 months into the program, just starting the recovery week 8, and the workouts just don't get any easier. I haven't been following a strict diet though, although trying to watch what I eat, probably why I have only lost 7 pounds so far. But I have definitely got stronger and starting to see some definition. I started playing basketball again and I am quicker and jumping higher than I had in years, mostly due to the Plyometrics routine. It will probably be more like the P180X before I get to where I want to be, but I know if I continue with this program I will get there...

Let me ask you something, and anyone doing it as well. I am only finishing up week 2, and I am finding it hard not to feel like a failure because I am only really able to maybe add one more rep on an exercise. I feel frustrated, but I don't push too hard because I don't want to injure myself..... Anyone really feel any self doubt about their own fitness abilities while doing this program? Is this normal? Other than that I love the program but the Yoga X makes me feel pathetic

Let me ask you something, and anyone doing it as well. I am only finishing up week 2, and I am finding it hard not to feel like a failure because I am only really able to maybe add one more rep on an exercise. I feel frustrated, but I don't push too hard because I don't want to injure myself..... Anyone really feel any self doubt about their own fitness abilities while doing this program? Is this normal? Other than that I love the program but the Yoga X makes me feel pathetic

You are not alone. I didn't even count the first week, because I barely made it through some of the video's. Yoga is an absolute killer, may be the hardest video in the series. I actually substitute Cardio X for Yoga at times, but that's more of a time thing, since the Yoga is an hour and a half. But it's important to track your progress, trust me, you will continue to increase reps and weight. The recovery week really helps. The week after recovery I felt stronger and actually did more reps, so the program is set up for success. Most of the challenge is mental, because if you continue with the program, they physical side will come along eventually. But it varies for everyone as to when you really start to see progress. Stick with it!

A decent size living room would do just fine. Alot of the equipment comes with different P90X packages.

- pullup bar that you hang in a doorway

- resistance bands

- workout dvds

The only other thing you will probably want is a few sets of dumbells. You can do all of the movements with bands but you will probably want dumbells. I'm not sure if the company offers dumbells but I got mine seperate.

Does it come with a hot chick to stare at while I am pretending to work out?

Kidding aside, I go to the gym 4 days a week and ride the bike for 3 and my brother who is in the USAF begged me to work out with this stuff for a week so he burned me a set. I still have not tried it but I am hearing great things. I do similar exercises int he gym but P90 is designed to keep you moving and the heart rate going, which is an obvious goal.

He told me about another workout the Special Ops guys do called CrossFit, said I was very difficult, described it as P90X times 2. Its wicked expensive though and requires classes and trainers. Geared towards endurance and strength.

Kidding aside, I go to the gym 4 days a week and ride the bike for 3 and my brother who is in the USAF begged me to work out with this stuff for a week so he burned me a set. I still have not tried it but I am hearing great things. I do similar exercises int he gym but P90 is designed to keep you moving and the heart rate going, which is an obvious goal.

He told me about another workout the Special Ops guys do called CrossFit, said I was very difficult, described it as P90X times 2. Its wicked expensive though and requires classes and trainers. Geared towards endurance and strength.

CrossFit is god stuff. You don't have to have a trainer for it, though it's better to have someone pushing you.

This website isn't put together very well, but there's a ton of info and workouts on there.

You are not alone. I didn't even count the first week, because I barely made it through some of the video's. Yoga is an absolute killer, may be the hardest video in the series. I actually substitute Cardio X for Yoga at times, but that's more of a time thing, since the Yoga is an hour and a half. But it's important to track your progress, trust me, you will continue to increase reps and weight. The recovery week really helps. The week after recovery I felt stronger and actually did more reps, so the program is set up for success. Most of the challenge is mental, because if you continue with the program, they physical side will come along eventually. But it varies for everyone as to when you really start to see progress. Stick with it!

Thanks for the info, I am trying to write down the # of reps as they recommend in the set, but I just feel like my body should be able to do more and when I can't it's frustrating... but I have no intentions to quit, I am hooked by the rush I get once done with working out for the day

Thanks for the info, I am trying to write down the # of reps as they recommend in the set, but I just feel like my body should be able to do more and when I can't it's frustrating... but I have no intentions to quit, I am hooked by the rush I get once done with working out for the day

Have you checked out the message boards on Beachbody.com? This is the P90X forum.

The threads are a little different. Some are just quick questions or discussions, but a lot of them are more like groups. One thread can be hundreds or thousands of posts of one group of people (early morning workouts, military, single x'ers, etc...).

It's a GREAT place to look around and get involved while doing P90X. They have every question you can think of and always a bunch of people having the same experiences that you are. It's they type of place that can't ask a question, no matter how stupid you think it is, that hasn't been asked at least a dozen times before. Everyone's also very upbeat and can get you motivated to keep going.

• 6 months later...

I just picked up P90x from a friend that used it. I've heard nothing but good things about it from people who followed the fitness and nutrition plans. I'm looking forward to trying to get back in shape and I think the schedule, nutrition plan, and discipline will really help me.

Anybody finish it and have any suggestions/tips? Any good success stories?

Enjoy.

I've been doing Crossfit since May and it's fantastic. I've lost ~15 lbs. but have put on some in muscle. I don't go to a special Crossfit gym (or "box") or have a trainer– I use the workouts as dictated by the website and just do them at my regular gym. The only problem is that sometimes the workouts are just unrealistic to do in a regular gym, or my gym just doesn't have the proper equipment (eg, rings and kettlebells), so when that happens, I'll either substitute something else for that portion of the day's workout or just find another workout altogether (there are a ton of workouts in the archives and you can always find something similar to the day's workout). Faustus is right though in that you only get out of crossfit what you put in, so having a trainer or a partner is better if it makes you work harder. Anyway, I definitely recommend crossfit, and know nothing about P90X. Sorry for the mini-hijack.

Damn, that's going to be rough. After the first Plyo Cardio when he said "We're done with the warm-up" I was like "are you !@#$ing kidding me!? We haven't even started the workout yet!?"

Bwaaaahhh! I thought the workout was over! And the first few times I went through each workout, I was fixated on the damn timing bar on the bottom of the screen. I almost threw my waterbottle through the TV the first time he added sets to one of the circuits.

I saw great results going through it. I was in decent shape ahead of time and still managed to drop 15 lbs and honestly say I didn't follow the plan to a T or even use the nutrition guide. I also saw a noticeable increase in speed & stamina on the ice (still play in 3 hockey leagues). I'll pull out a DVD and do one of the workouts a few times a week now as it's way better IMO than anything you could get plyo/cardio wise in a gym.

I just picked up P90x from a friend that used it. I've heard nothing but good things about it from people who followed the fitness and nutrition plans. I'm looking forward to trying to get back in shape and I think the schedule, nutrition plan, and discipline will really help me.

Anybody finish it and have any suggestions/tips? Any good success stories?

Enjoy.

I dropped 20 lbs on p90x and I probably could have lost even more if I pushed harder and didnt miss some workouts. Best advice i can give is towards the eating. its best to cook in bulk and use gladware to store individual meals. makes for less work in the kitchen and burnout from cooking.

Andrew do you have a link for this crossfit? need something to try while taking a break from p90

I dropped 20 lbs on p90x and I probably could have lost even more if I pushed harder and didnt miss some workouts. Best advice i can give is towards the eating. its best to cook in bulk and use gladware to store individual meals. makes for less work in the kitchen and burnout from cooking.

Andrew do you have a link for this crossfit? need something to try while taking a break from p90

Sure: Crossfit

• 3 months later...

I recommend the bowflex seletech dumbells because you can change weights very quickly and are worth the investment. Some of the more generic versions aren't bad either. Otherwise, just the resistance bands and maybe a yoga mat are all you really need. High ceilings are a plus because you will be jumping and doing overhead lifts

Well, I just started my second week of P90X and man I'll tell you this is one great workout series. I like having a different workout to do every day it helps to keep things fresh and some of the segments like Kenpo are a lot of fun. It is a very tough workout and I think I have bitten off a little more than I should chew starting with this program, but the college athlete is me says you can still do this kind of stuff.

Is anyone else currently doing this program or thinking about doing it? Would like to hear your thoughts and concerns regarding P90

Also, one tool that I have found very useful to the success of any fitness plan is Livestrong.com. here they have a daily food diary that you can use to track what you are putting into your body and create an eating plan to help you achieve the results you want. My SN on livestrong is Sabresfan61, and if anyone else is using it, friend me, would love to share some of my recipes with you as well as find some others to make.

3 of my co-workers do P90X and they swear by it. 2 are in their 30's and the other is in his early 50's. They are pretty dedicated to fitness.

As far as chow goes, I have some decent recipes that I got out of the ABS Diet cookbook. Send me a PM if you are interested; I don't know if there are any copyright issues with posting them in an open forum.

All joking aside, I really need to get back in shape - desk job for the past 3 1/2 years has led to packing on 15 extra lbs . . . :oops: