(LAMP) Just started week 2 of P90X

WVUFootball29

Well, I just started my second week of P90X and man I'll tell you this is one great workout series. I like having a different workout to do every day it helps to keep things fresh and some of the segments like Kenpo are a lot of fun. It is a very tough workout and I think I have bitten off a little more than I should chew starting with this program, but the college athlete is me says you can still do this kind of stuff.

Is anyone else currently doing this program or thinking about doing it? Would like to hear your thoughts and concerns regarding P90

Also, one tool that I have found very useful to the success of any fitness plan is Livestrong.com. here they have a daily food diary that you can use to track what you are putting into your body and create an eating plan to help you achieve the results you want. My SN on livestrong is Sabresfan61, and if anyone else is using it, friend me, would love to share some of my recipes with you as well as find some others to make.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just started my second week of P90X and man I'll tell you this is one great workout series. I like having a different workout to do every day it helps to keep things fresh and some of the segments like Kenpo are a lot of fun. It is a very tough workout and I think I have bitten off a little more than I should chew starting with this program, but the college athlete is me says you can still do this kind of stuff.

Is anyone else currently doing this program or thinking about doing it? Would like to hear your thoughts and concerns regarding P90

Also, one tool that I have found very useful to the success of any fitness plan is Livestrong.com. here they have a daily food diary that you can use to track what you are putting into your body and create an eating plan to help you achieve the results you want. My SN on livestrong is Sabresfan61, and if anyone else is using it, friend me, would love to share some of my recipes with you as well as find some others to make.

I just got mine in yesterday, started it today with disc 1, completed it this morning and i can say I am already feeling sore..... Nothing like making me feel more fat and out of shape than I did before, but I am looking forward to seeing some results

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=84225

I'm using Fitday

Pam the blam :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
I've gone through it before, but haven't been using it lately because I've been moving. Plan on starting a combination of P90X and Insanity in April.

You'll have to let us know about Insanity. I'd like to try it but I want some feedback from someone who's done P90x to see what they think.

Q: Do you need a lot of room to use the P90X, or a lot of equipment?

A decent size living room would do just fine. Alot of the equipment comes with different P90X packages.

- pullup bar that you hang in a doorway

- resistance bands

- workout dvds

The only other thing you will probably want is a few sets of dumbells. You can do all of the movements with bands but you will probably want dumbells. I'm not sure if the company offers dumbells but I got mine seperate.

A decent size living room would do just fine. Alot of the equipment comes with different P90X packages.

- pullup bar that you hang in a doorway

- resistance bands

- workout dvds

The only other thing you will probably want is a few sets of dumbells. You can do all of the movements with bands but you will probably want dumbells. I'm not sure if the company offers dumbells but I got mine seperate.

A chair and yoga blocks are pretty good to have as well.

If you want the most out of the workout, a decent range of dumb bells is a must.

You'll have to let us know about Insanity. I'd like to try it but I want some feedback from someone who's done P90x to see what they think.

I just finished my first week of Insanity, this is my day of rest. I consider myself in decent shape, I've done P90x but never felt I've gotten enough cardio and could stand to lose some winter weight.

If you're motivated and can push yourself, it will kick your ass. The first 4 weeks are "easier" and I've been left gasping for air by the end. I haven't made it through a whole workout without stopping at least a few times. It's amazing how much progress I made in one week though. You do the same DVD on Day 2 and Day 6. Even though I was exhausted from the whole week, I could go a lot longer already the second time around.

You do the same 5 workouts for the first 4 weeks (it mixes up the days), then have a recovery week during week 5. You still workout that week, but apparently they are easier workouts. I'm interested to see what week 6 brings as you start a whole new series but everything starts with the word "Max". I can't imagine doing anything harder then I am already doing.

From reading the forums, a lot of people go through the 9 weeks of Insanity to tone up, then start a combination of P90x and Insanity. Insanity does mix in enough upper and lower body to work those muscles, but it really is cardio focused so no one should expect huge gains from it. I can already see more definition though.

The key is you can't stop when your feeling tired or let up, you really need to push it to your limits so it takes a lot of discipline. If you don't have that, then I can't see it being any better then regular exercise.

One more note, it's high impact so anyone with foot/leg/back issues it probably isn't for you.

I just finished my first week of Insanity, this is my day of rest. I consider myself in decent shape, I've done P90x but never felt I've gotten enough cardio and could stand to lose some winter weight.

If you're motivated and can push yourself, it will kick your ass. The first 4 weeks are "easier" and I've been left gasping for air by the end. I haven't made it through a whole workout without stopping at least a few times. It's amazing how much progress I made in one week though. You do the same DVD on Day 2 and Day 6. Even though I was exhausted from the whole week, I could go a lot longer already the second time around.

You do the same 5 workouts for the first 4 weeks (it mixes up the days), then have a recovery week during week 5. You still workout that week, but apparently they are easier workouts. I'm interested to see what week 6 brings as you start a whole new series but everything starts with the word "Max". I can't imagine doing anything harder then I am already doing.

From reading the forums, a lot of people go through the 9 weeks of Insanity to tone up, then start a combination of P90x and Insanity. Insanity does mix in enough upper and lower body to work those muscles, but it really is cardio focused so no one should expect huge gains from it. I can already see more definition though.

The key is you can't stop when your feeling tired or let up, you really need to push it to your limits so it takes a lot of discipline. If you don't have that, then I can't see it being any better then regular exercise.

One more note, it's high impact so anyone with foot/leg/back issues it probably isn't for you.

Agree with all of this. Insanity really does live up to its name. It's the most intense workout I've ever done. Which is great, but for me, is also a bit of a problem. I enjoy intense workouts, but these are so ridiculous it turned me off after awhile. Day after day of it is just too much. That's why I'm going to mix P90X and Insanity. I'm just going to change out Plyo (the easiest Insanity workout puts Plyo to shame), Kenpo, and Yoga with Insanity workouts, and move Yoga to my "off" day. I think scaling back Insanity to 3 days a week and getting the benefit of the P90X weight workouts is going to be a great program.

I'll update how it works out on the Health and Fitness board. It may be a while though. I'm still debating starting this up in April. I have been off workouts now for going on 3 months, so I think it may be too intense to start with that right away. I may do some light weightlifting and train up for a half marathon first and then start on this. We'll see how I feel and how my knees hold up to running this time around. :devil:

Anyway, back to your original question....If you enjoy Plyo (and that type of intense workout) but are getting board, Insanity is great. If you're thinking about doing the Insanity program, note that you're not going to get the muscle training you do in P90X, but you're cardio will go through the roof. IMO, it's probably as close to "professional athlete" type workout that I can think of.

As for the "Max" Insanity workouts, really they are more of the same type of workouts but longer.

As for the "Max" Insanity workouts, really they are more of the same type of workouts but longer.

Damn, that's going to be rough. After the first Plyo Cardio when he said "We're done with the warm-up" I was like "are you !@#$ing kidding me!? We haven't even started the workout yet!?"

Damn, that's going to be rough. After the first Plyo Cardio when he said "We're done with the warm-up" I was like "are you !@#$ing kidding me!? We haven't even started the workout yet!?"

:devil:

Yep, me too! I like how the perfectly fit group of people start giving up about 3/4 of the way through.

Been doing P90x for a while now. I really like it. It was a big change for me,as I was doing old school,heavy weight,low rep work outs before. P90x amazed me how sore I could get with light weights and isometrics. I mix it up a little now between the P90 and the heavy stuff. I follow each one up with 45 minutes or so of cardio. It works for me. I have my own diet guidelines that I stick to so I've never tried the P90x diet.

Just started week 3 here, but I'm battling sickness so I have not been able to push myself as much as I would like. Still loving this workout and I've seen progress already in my numbers from the first 2 weeks. Between Livestrong.com and P90x I've lost 13lbs in 2 months and hoping to see steady improvement until I'm back at my fighting weight of 170 and 10% BFC or less.

Been doing P90x for a while now. I really like it. It was a big change for me,as I was doing old school,heavy weight,low rep work outs before. P90x amazed me how sore I could get with light weights and isometrics. I mix it up a little now between the P90 and the heavy stuff. I follow each one up with 45 minutes or so of cardio. It works for me. I have my own diet guidelines that I stick to so I've never tried the P90x diet.

Since I got P90X from a friend for cheap, I don't feel as guilty for not following the entire program. I'm sticking to Ab Ripper X, Core and Yoga + 4 days of weight lifting.

I like the workouts but I enjoy going to the gym, since i live alone, i need to step out as a way of unwinding from the school and work schedule.

In terms of strength, I've reached personal highs in the gym and i barely have a gut and I've been able to complete a full workout but not at the pace of Tony.

In terms of diet, i'm feeling the difference, since I was a sugar junky well on my way to diabetes, just moderating and cutting out simple carbs has made a huge difference.

Definitely worth it if someone sticks through it.