This Front Office is looking smarter and Smarter

PNW_Bills_Fan

I am sorry but is hiring Chan !@#$ing Gailey as the coach when Marty Schotenheimer wanted the job is a incompetent move. I mean are we seriously giving kudos to a front office that hired a guy the Kansas City Chiefs fired. Oh but he the KC Chiefs offense fell 7 ranks when he left well you know who else also left KC the same year as Gailey Tony Gonzales who is likely the reason why KC's offense fell from bad to God awful.

Look at Gailey's track record and is there anything since a semi-successful run with Dallas that shows why Gailey will be a success? Miami actually got better right after he left. GA tech got better after he left. Then the one stop where the team was worse after he left it was more likely due to the HOF Tight End who also left with him.

I am sorry but Marty ball should be our HC. We need a guy who is a proven winner not a proven disappointment. While I do like the coordinators and assistants they have brought in the overall hire of Gailey is a bad one. I love for anyone to seriously defend this hire of Gailey as HC when Marty ball wanted the job.

The real question is if the Bills won 9 or 10 games in 2010, would you still hate the Gailey hire? If you said no, then let's wait on the second guessing until something happens.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so Gailey was fired as offensive coordinator from a team whose offense was ranked 24th in the NFL and finished 4-12. As for all the stories of former coaches saying good things about Gailey its a close nit frat that all these former and current NFL coaches live in. If we hired Herman Edwards there would have been good things said about how great of a teacher and motivator he was with the Jets and Chiefs.

Just follow his career once he left the Cowboys. He went to Miami were in 2001 his last season the Fins were ranked 21st when he left the year after in 2002 the Fins improved to a 15th ranking. Then you look at his Georgia Tech tenure where in his last season in 2007 he took them to a 7-5 record while in 2008 they were 9-4 and ranked 22nd and in 2009 they were 11-3 and ranked 12th overall.

If you look at Gailey's GT tenure he only one year where he had 3 7-6 seasons 2 7-5 seasons and one 9-5 season while in the next 2 seasons they managed to improve to 9-4 and 11-3 without Gailey at the helm. Then look at his Chiefs tenure in his only season he managed to take the Chiefs to be ranked 24th offensively while in the next season without him and Tony Gonzalez they were ranked 25th a minor downgrade probably due more to Gonzalez leaving then Gailey.

So after all that failure and mediocrity we hire him as our new Head Coach. What is it about this man resume that is suppose to inspire me that he is a good hire and not a cost cutting or good ole boys network hire? Since his Cowboys run every team he has left has either gotten better (Georgia Tech and the Fins) or has stayed the same (The Chiefs) this is a bad hire any way you spin it.

Man I totally get what you're saying. After the announcement of the Gailey hiring I was in about a 2 hour state of shock. Then I was reading a bunch of articles where people were optimistic (BuffaloRumblings.com), and it actually made me angry people could have any good feeling about this hiring.

I'm not trying to tell you that you should think exactly like me, but maybe I can give you a different point of view to consider. Every NFL coach has a story. They are all very smart men to even be anywhere near the NFL. In saying that just think of all the stories; Dungy couldn't win the big one in Tampa, Gruden brought them to the promise land. Dungy wins one in Indy. Can Dungy's replacement win with his team? An unpopular Levy gets hired as Buffalo's coach, then he builds a 4 time super bowl team. Marty ball has a great regular season record, but can't win the big one. The St. Louis fans are livid an NFL dinosaur and burn out gets hired in Dick Vermeil, it didn't help that he went 5-11 and 4-12 his first two seasons, you know the rest of the story. Can Cowher do it with another organization seemingly of his choosing? Can Shanahan really do anything significant without Elway?

I know Gailey isn't necessarily on any of these coaches level, yet. But its possible man. NFL history is littered with success stories of coaches who rewrote the story of their career. There are also a lot of coaches that have had success, went to another organization and failed. And only a few cases where a coach has had success and then had it again at a different venue.

Give me a coach that hasn't won one yet any day, and I'll bank on the hope there's a fire in the belly to get one given the RIGHT chance. I like Nix, I'm starting to warm up to Gailey. I definitely like the way he carries himself, and I like the staff he's putting together.

Is it possible that we are the next success story with an unproven unpopular coach? I have no idea, just as you really don't know for sure he'll fail. Come on man, get behind this guy. At the very least you'll feel better.

I wasn't criticizing anyone, just referring to the title of the post-as if they are doing so much already that they are looking smarter and smarter every day. I was just giving my opinion also, that as gunshy as this fanbase should be by now, we should let them prove something before we bury them in accolades.

Oh I understand what you're saying. I just think that its reasonable to have the opinion that they are doing some smart things, even though none of it has any merit yet. Just kind of early observations.

OK so Gailey was fired as offensive coordinator from a team whose offense was ranked 24th in the NFL and finished 4-12. As for all the stories of former coaches saying good things about Gailey its a close nit frat that all these former and current NFL coaches live in. If we hired Herman Edwards there would have been good things said about how great of a teacher and motivator he was with the Jets and Chiefs.

Just follow his career once he left the Cowboys. He went to Miami were in 2001 his last season the Fins were ranked 21st when he left the year after in 2002 the Fins improved to a 15th ranking. Then you look at his Georgia Tech tenure where in his last season in 2007 he took them to a 7-5 record while in 2008 they were 9-4 and ranked 22nd and in 2009 they were 11-3 and ranked 12th overall.

The Dols were ranked 21st in yards in 2001 and 15th in 2002, but they were ranked 8th in points in 2001 and 12th in 2002. And in 2002, they traded for Ricky Williams.

Didn't you say the same thing about Martz?

And who else was looking to hire Gailey?

Martz has been getting hired and only sat out last season, so I never said anything about him not getting hired. Marty has been out of football, for whatever reason(s), for 3 years now, and it doesn't look like he's coming back.

As for who else was looking to hire Gailey, there have only been 3 head coaching changes. The Redskins targeted and got Shanahan and likewise with the Seahawks and Carroll. And the Bills were likelyin contact with Gailey about their coaching vacancy for awhile. And reportedly 2 teams were looking to hire Gailey as a HC last year, but didn't think he brought enough of a "wow" factor.

Whether this proves to be a good hire remains to be seen.

The real question is if the Bills won 9 or 10 games in 2010, would you still hate the Gailey hire? If you said no, then let's wait on the second guessing until something happens.

The real questions are:

When DJ was 5-1 in '08, weren't many saying the same things, i.e. how great he was and how it was a solid move to renew his contract so as to avoid a bidding war for his services in the off season? The second guessers were right on back then.

And, even more important:

How many of you would have been this excited about this coaching staff (Gailey, Modkins, Edwards) if it was announced on the day after the season ended?

I am sorry but is hiring Chan !@#$ing Gailey as the coach when Marty Schotenheimer wanted the job is a incompetent move. I mean are we seriously giving kudos to a front office that hired a guy the Kansas City Chiefs fired. Oh but he the KC Chiefs offense fell 7 ranks when he left well you know who else also left KC the same year as Gailey Tony Gonzales who is likely the reason why KC's offense fell from bad to God awful.

Look at Gailey's track record and is there anything since a semi-successful run with Dallas that shows why Gailey will be a success? Miami actually got better right after he left. GA tech got better after he left. Then the one stop where the team was worse after he left it was more likely due to the HOF Tight End who also left with him.

I am sorry but Marty ball should be our HC. We need a guy who is a proven winner not a proven disappointment. While I do like the coordinators and assistants they have brought in the overall hire of Gailey is a bad one. I love for anyone to seriously defend this hire of Gailey as HC when Marty ball wanted the job.

Marty Shottenheimer is so old he can't even get out of his own way. Sorry, but I respectfully and totally disagree with your rant. Football people recognize what kind of coach Chan Gailey is and he is a good one. He met all the criteria that Nix was looking for. He has head coaching experience in the NFL, leading his team to the playoffs both years. He is a creative offensive mind, he has coached on both sides of the ball and he has brought in what appears to be a very competent staff. Listen to Marty Shottenheimer on Sirius NFL radio. The guy can barely get a sentence out. He clearly would not have been the answer. Sorry you didn't get your wish, but in my humble opinion, it is for the best.

If you look at Gailey's GT tenure he only one year where he had 3 7-6 seasons 2 7-5 seasons and one 9-5 season while in the next 2 seasons they managed to improve to 9-4 and 11-3 without Gailey at the helm. Then look at his Chiefs tenure in his only season he managed to take the Chiefs to be ranked 24th offensively while in the next season without him and Tony Gonzalez they were ranked 25th a minor downgrade probably due more to Gonzalez leaving then Gailey.

So after all that failure and mediocrity we hire him as our new Head Coach. What is it about this man resume that is suppose to inspire me that he is a good hire and not a cost cutting or good ole boys network hire? Since his Cowboys run every team he has left has either gotten better (Georgia Tech and the Fins) or has stayed the same (The Chiefs) this is a bad hire any way you spin it.

You have to look at all the facts. Look at the QBs he has had and the production he has got from them as opposed to the production others have got and Jerry Jones wished he had never fired Chan and for that guy to admit that he was wrong thats saying something.

So, you can continue to cry in your beer - or get on board with the new regime.

I prefer choice C ... neither. There is absolutely no reason based on Chans record anywhere to get excited about him being the HC. There is also no reason to get excited about Buddy based on the limited moves he has made so far. But there is also no reason to assume that the good ole boy connection is going to blow the draft, FA, or generally suck ass for the next 3-4 years either.

I don't particularly like the Gailey or Nix hires, but I understand them. Given the current circumstances with the Bills, I believe there were the "best available" guys they could get. I don't feel the need to "cry in my beer" about how much we will suck this season. Nor do I feel the need to "get on board with the new regime". I prefer to be ambivalent and hope for the best.

The best move Gailey & Co. have done so far is cutting all the special teams "aces". This tells me they're committed to actually developing players, instead of wasting roster spots to have one of the top special teams units in the NFL. The win/loss records of the top 3 special teams units tells me how important it really is.

Things may be actually changing over there. I still throw the Missouri flag at them.

The guy left the league coming off of a 14-2 season. Gailey on the other hand was fired by a team coming off a 4-12 season.

Dude, he was fired not based on performance but because Todd Haley wanted to run the offense his way. This was obviously a case of differing philosophies. The previous year, Chan Gailey did quite well considering the tools he was given.

Actually.....I think you are spinning it know what I mean?

Man I totally get what you're saying. After the announcement of the Gailey hiring I was in about a 2 hour state of shock. Then I was reading a bunch of articles where people were optimistic (BuffaloRumblings.com), and it actually made me angry people could have any good feeling about this hiring.

I'm not trying to tell you that you should think exactly like me, but maybe I can give you a different point of view to consider. Every NFL coach has a story. They are all very smart men to even be anywhere near the NFL. In saying that just think of all the stories; Dungy couldn't win the big one in Tampa, Gruden brought them to the promise land. Dungy wins one in Indy. Can Dungy's replacement win with his team? An unpopular Levy gets hired as Buffalo's coach, then he builds a 4 time super bowl team. Marty ball has a great regular season record, but can't win the big one. The St. Louis fans are livid an NFL dinosaur and burn out gets hired in Dick Vermeil, it didn't help that he went 5-11 and 4-12 his first two seasons, you know the rest of the story. Can Cowher do it with another organization seemingly of his choosing? Can Shanahan really do anything significant without Elway?

I know Gailey isn't necessarily on any of these coaches level, yet. But its possible man. NFL history is littered with success stories of coaches who rewrote the story of their career. There are also a lot of coaches that have had success, went to another organization and failed. And only a few cases where a coach has had success and then had it again at a different venue.

Give me a coach that hasn't won one yet any day, and I'll bank on the hope there's a fire in the belly to get one given the RIGHT chance. I like Nix, I'm starting to warm up to Gailey. I definitely like the way he carries himself, and I like the staff he's putting together.

Is it possible that we are the next success story with an unproven unpopular coach? I have no idea, just as you really don't know for sure he'll fail. Come on man, get behind this guy. At the very least you'll feel better.

Great post, I completely agree!

I think the point of your post that is buried underneath alot of words trying to convince yourself that Gailey is the guy, is a good one in that "Anything Can Happen." I am also behind this guy and his staff, I just am not going to throw accolades his way or put his name on the wall at the stadium until they actually accomplish something. It has been a long decade of losing, so some of us aren't willing to just forget the past and act Ralph got it right this time, when only time will tell.

I think the point of your post that is buried underneath alot of words trying to convince yourself that Gailey is the guy, is a good one in that "Anything Can Happen." I am also behind this guy and his staff, I just am not going to throw accolades his way or put his name on the wall at the stadium until they actually accomplish something. It has been a long decade of losing, so some of us aren't willing to just forget the past and act Ralph got it right this time, when only time will tell.

Let me clarify a couple of things since we are having good dialogue. I'm not trying to convince myself Gailey is the guy, just simply saying its possible he could be. I felt the same way about Jauron. After the initial shock wore off, I thought heck why can't he be good? Just because I don't hate this coaches (and I'm not implying you do), doesn't mean I'm ignorant when they don't produce. It's just possible to hire someone and end up with a Sean Payton for instance.

I think you'll agree that I'm certainly not throwing accolades at Gailey, although I understand the origin of this post kind of did because he said "we're looking smarter and smarter".

But here's my whole point. The poster says we're looking smarter and smarter, I'm saying its possible Gailey could be the guy because history shows this is how good coaches manifest. Don't take me wrong as being a smart a$$, but you misconstrue that as ready "to put his name on the wall at the stadium". Now I know your being sarcastic because no one really said that, but what's the bigger extreme? Believing in Gailey or the idea he has very little chance at succeeding?

You said "its been a long decade of losing, so some of us aren't willing to forget the past". Dude that's all we have. Here's the fundamental difference between believing Gailey could be the guy and buying into it and I'm behind Gailey but I'm frustrated because nothings been right in a decade. You will be frustrated until it happens and I'm only frustrated when it doesn't. In the middle I'm a lot less stressed out. Just thought I'd try to get you to see that point of view.

Something bad happened in San Diego. Marty was fired after a 14-2 season. Nix was there and he saw it, whatever it was. Nix is still friends with Marty but but he chose not to hire him.

But you probably no more about this than Buddy.

Something bad happened in San Diego. Marty was fired after a 14-2 season. Nix was there and he saw it, whatever it was. Nix is still friends with Marty but but he chose not to hire him.

But you probably no more about this than Buddy.

What happened in San Diego between Marty and A.J. Smith is not too complicated. Both of these characters are too very strong willed and head strong individuals. A.J. Smith disliked Marty so much that he wouldn't even take his calls. When Marty tried to work out a detente with A.J. he wouldn't even make a cold peace with Marty. It got so bad that the owner, Spanos, tried to intervene with no success. The relationship between the HC and GM was so poisonous that one of them had to go.

A.J. Smith tried to defend his position by blaming Marty for his team's playoff losses because of his conservative offensive philosophy. Marty responded that in his last year he wasn't even calling the plays.

Nix maintained a good relationship with Marty throughout the internal conflict. Buddy saw close hand that Smith is not the easiest person to deal with. Smith has a very pugnacious personality. He is not the type to forget or let go after a dispute has been settled. In some respects Marty and Smith are both cut from the same cloth.

Oh, quit the crying.

It's over with, and your apparent certainty that Marty wanted to come out of retirement is shaky at best.

All reports...ALL except the one you must be quoting from (which is nothing but pure whispering and rumor-mongering), said that he was happy in retirement and had no desire to return to coaching.

Leave the gossiping to the women, dude.

The real questions are:

When DJ was 5-1 in '08, weren't many saying the same things, i.e. how great he was and how it was a solid move to renew his contract so as to avoid a bidding war for his services in the off season? The second guessers were right on back then.

Did anyone claim that Jauron was "great" after the 5-1 start? I'd say at best people were saying "finally, the team is winning." And giving him an extension didn't look like the wrong thing to do, since most didn't expect the team, or more precisely, Trent, to fall apart so badly. But keeping him didn't prevent the Bills from hiring any "name" coaches last off-season. And I doubt Rex Ryan would have made people excited.

And, even more important:

How many of you would have been this excited about this coaching staff (Gailey, Modkins, Edwards) if it was announced on the day after the season ended?

Obviously if the Bills had named Gailey HC without pursuing guys like Shanahan and Cowher, this wouldn't have sat well with anyone. Given that they pursued those 2, heavily, and got a recommendation from Cowher to hire Gailey, it makes it less unsettling. And while hiring a name like the other 2 would have created buzz, it wouldn't have guaranteed anything. Cowher doesn't seem ready to return to coaching, having turned down multiple jobs the past few years, and Shanahan hasn't taken the Broncos to the playoffs his last 3 seasons there.