Now I know why you Southern Californians

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surf nazis? What are they, the Pendleton Peckerwoods?

:D

From Wiki:

However, local surfers have been known to be violent when it comes to protecting their surf break from tourists or outside surfers.[1] Some locals have been known to form loose gangs that surf in a certain break or beach and fiercely protect their "territory" from outsiders. These surfers are often referred to as "surf punks" or "surf nazis."

You have to live here for awhile before you're no longer considered a tourist.

My dad used to ski a lot, but he's got a bad back and can't. When I was a kid, he'd get us out onto the slopes at 6 AM to get the free hour and we would ski until the sun went down. Those are LONG days, no doubt but when you're a kid, it's a lot of fun. I want to take my daughter skiing, probably will next year.

But, when I move to So Cal, I think I'll take up surfing.

Do both, you can ski in the local mountains of So Cal. I've seen cars from time to time parked at the beach with snow on the roof. Meaning they skiied in the morning and drove to the beach in the afternoon.

Do both, you can ski in the local mountains of So Cal. I've seen cars from time to time parked at the beach with snow on the roof. Meaning they skiied in the morning and drove to the beach in the afternoon.

I did that once just to say that I had. Didn't go surfing but skied in the morning and at the beach in shorts in the late afternoon. But I will tell you skiing the local soCal mountains really sucks. 90% of the people cruise in from LA and have never seen snow up close let alone skied on it but they strap the boards on their feet and sail down the hill. I've never feared for my life more on a pair of skis.

I did that once just to say that I had. Didn't go surfing but skied in the morning and at the beach in shorts in the late afternoon. But I will tell you skiing the local soCal mountains really sucks. 90% of the people cruise in from LA and have never seen snow up close let alone skied on it but they strap the boards on their feet and sail down the hill. I've never feared for my life more on a pair of skis.

I was talking to one of my brother's neighbors and she said she wanted to move to Vermont for the "seasons."

I told her if he likes the seasons, she can come shovel my driveway anytime she wants.

I was talking to one of my brother's neighbors and she said she wanted to move to Vermont for the "seasons."

I told her if he likes the seasons, she can come shovel my driveway anytime she wants.

And people B word about CA not having seasons. I call bull ****. In the fall there are several varieties of trees out here that change wonderful colors. And they keep their colors for weeks not hours like back east. The seasonal change out here is subtle but it's there.

And people B word about CA not having seasons. I call bull ****. In the fall there are several varieties of trees out here that change wonderful colors. And they keep their colors for weeks not hours like back east. The seasonal change out here is subtle but it's there.

Are these the seasons of California, Fire storm season, followed by mud slide season, Smog season season, earthquake season, followed by watch the ocean remove the cliff house drops in to ocean season?

No, I know so.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was PSIA Certified... Then I got a job with the Corps, moved to the midwest and got married. I was ready to go into the profession. :wallbash:

Actually... Early on with the Corps... I planned on being furloughed during the winter and entering the profession... Never panned out... They took me off seasonal that first winter. So I wouldn't mind if they ever closed down in the winter now.

I'd give your old man a run for his money.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was PSIA Certified... Then I got a job with the Corps, moved to the midwest and got married. I was ready to go into the profession. :wallbash:

Actually... Early on with the Corps... I planned on being furloughed during the winter and entering the profession... Never panned out... They took me off seasonal that first winter. So I wouldn't mind if they ever closed down in the winter now.

I'd give your old man a run for his money.

And you'd lose. My dad was PSIA certified for more than 25 years. Taugh for more than 35 years. I raced at the age of 10 and raced every year at an event in Tahoe so I'm a pretty damn good skier myself but my dad is the best technical skier I've ever seen.

And you'd lose. My dad was PSIA certified for more than 25 years. Taugh for more than 35 years. I raced at the age of 10 and raced every year at an event in Tahoe so I'm a pretty damn good skier myself but my dad is the best technical skier I've ever seen.

He's got to have some old school traits that show! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Even know he progressed with a lengthy certification through the years.

Not 25 years for me... But the same for me in WNY... I raced all through my teen years also.

The one thing that amazes me is how the shaped skis really had an impact on the sport... Trickled up through the sport... Highly unusal since most sports the tech trickles down. And how short they are now. I still got my old Olins Comp SLs... 205 cm... Just imagine the looks you'd get with those wood core beasts today!

I know we may disagree on a lot... But it would be fun to someday meet skiing... Even if it is at HV!!! You could berate me on the lift. :D

I got my son skiing at 2... He is 11 now... And for a life-long mid-western, he is pretty good. I got him going on this... Anywhere on the mountain:

SkiBar

I highly recommend it for the wee ones... Especially the harness to lift them quickly on the chair.

He was independent at almost 4 and got ME lost in a blizzard at HV! I was freaking out thinking how I was gonna explain this to my wife... And there he was waiting for ME at the Yodeler Quad! :wallbash:

He's got to have some old school traits that show! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Even know he progressed with a lengthy certification through the years.

Not 25 years for me... But the same for me in WNY... I raced all through my teen years also.

The one thing that amazes me is how the shaped skis really had an impact on the sport... Trickled up through the sport... Highly unusal since most sports the tech trickles down. And how short they are now. I still got my old Olins Comp SLs... 205 cm... Just imagine the looks you'd get with those wood core beasts today!

I know we may disagree on a lot... But it would be fun to someday meet skiing... Even if it is at HV!!! You could berate me on the lift. :D

I got my son skiing at 2... He is 11 now... And for a life-long mid-western, he is pretty good. I got him going on this... Anywhere on the mountain:

SkiBar

I highly recommend it for the wee ones... Especially the harness to lift them quickly on the chair.

He was independent at almost 4 and got ME lost in a blizzard at HV! I was freaking out thinking how I was gonna explain this to my wife... And there he was waiting for ME at the Yodeler Quad! :wallbash:

No actually I'm the one with the old school traits that he still schools me on everytime we ski. The guy is !@#$ing amazing. Go to Holiday Valley and ask anyone there (ski school, ski patrol, lift operators, season pass holders, etc) about Dick Young they'll tell you. I'd love to ski with you sometime and you'll see just how off my rocker I am. :D