Incredible QB story discussing Brohm and others

F UNC

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't accept the premise that nobody could make any room for Brohm. 1st off, any team that would be putting a claim in on him would be viewing him as a 3rd stringer, he wouldn't need to be ready for action in 2010 for a long time anyway. Much like the bunch of QB 6th rounders in the 2009 draft that were kept as 3rd stringers on the opening day rosters. A lot of the teams had some really weak guys as their 3rd stringers, yet nobody tried to steal Brohm & end up being a smarter guy than the rest. Clearly the preseason tapes on Brohm, which all 31 other teams had, didn't have GMs jumping up & down. Here are some of the 3rd stringers that teams kept over putting a claim in for Brohm: Atl-Wilson, Cin- J. Palmer, Ariz-St Pierre, Stl-Null, Sea-Teel, SF-Davis, Indy-Painter, Balt-Beck (another 2nd round bust), Den-Brandstater, and the Bills, who kept Trent's buddy Gibran Hamdan until Trent was benched. Surely, if Brohm was viewed in the same light by NFL decision makers as his supporters here, there would have been multiple waiver claims to put Brohm on the roster over at least some of the guys I've mentioned in this paragraph. Most of those guys weren't any more ready to take an NFL snap than Brohm, and considering Brohm had a full season of experience on an NFL team & 2 camps, he was probably a lot more ready than most of the rookies listed.

Alot of these QBs went through training camp and know there system. Beck at Balt. was in Cameron offensive sytem in Miami. Miami brought in Bill Parcells who drafted Chad Henne who fit there system better. Henne looked pretty good as a starter for them this year. And the reason we kept Gibran Hamdan is the same reason we brought him back after Edwards was put on dl. He knows our system. I'm not going to judge Brohm on one start. You can't. And Just because Green Bay cut him doesn't mean he was going to be a bust. Why did Green Bay draft Brohm in the first place? They had Aaron Rodgers as a backup to Farve for two years. They saw him in practice and in preseason in two years in a row, yet they still drafted two qbs the following year. Alot of times you don't know what kind of QB you got untill he starts couple games.

Alot of these QBs went through training camp and know there system. Beck at Balt. was in Cameron offensive sytem in Miami. Miami brought in Bill Parcells who drafted Chad Henne who fit there system better. Henne looked pretty good as a starter for them this year. And the reason we kept Gibran Hamdan is the same reason we brought him back after Edwards was put on dl. He knows our system. I'm not going to judge Brohm on one start. You can't. And Just because Green Bay cut him doesn't mean he was going to be a bust. Why did Green Bay draft Brohm in the first place? They had Aaron Rodgers as a backup to Farve for two years. They saw him in practice and in preseason in two years in a row, yet they still drafted two qbs the following year. Alot of times you don't know what kind of QB you got untill he starts couple games.

They drafted 2 QBs for the same reason the Bills drafted 6 or 7 QBs in 5 years from 1979-1983*. When the stockpiling attempt was made in the 2008 draft, the Packers weren't bringing Favre back & needed some backups to groom in case of an injury to Rodgers and/or grooming a QB to get value in a future trade, like teams with an established starter have done in the past. The Packers have historically been a team that stockpiles QBs. During the Wolf years they drafted & traded Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks, and Matt Hasselbeck who all went on to start immediately after the Packers traded them.

*The Bills had a mentality during the Chuck Knox years (and the year after he left when they really needed a QB of the future) to keep drafting QB in early rounds until they found the right mix of starter and backups. While stockpiling drafted QBs, Knox also brought in veterans like Bill Munson & Matt Robinson as his primary backups.

1979: 5th round Dan Manucci (116), 10th QB/K Dave Marler (253)

1980: 2nd Gene Bradley (37), 8th Todd Krueger (202)

1982: 2nd Matt Kofler (48), 8th Luc Tousignant (218)

1983: 1st Jim Kelly (14)

They drafted 2 QBs for the same reason the Bills drafted 6 or 7 QBs in 5 years from 1979-1983*. When the stockpiling attempt was made in the 2008 draft, the Packers weren't bringing Favre back & needed some backups to groom in case of an injury to Rodgers and/or grooming a QB to get value in a future trade, like teams with an established starter have done in the past. The Packers have historically been a team that stockpiles QBs. During the Wolf years they drafted & traded Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks, and Matt Hasselbeck who all went on to start immediately after the Packers traded them.

*The Bills had a mentality during the Chuck Knox years (and the year after he left when they really needed a QB of the future) to keep drafting QB in early rounds until they found the right mix of starter and backups. While stockpiling drafted QBs, Knox also brought in veterans like Bill Munson & Matt Robinson as his primary backups.

1979: 5th round Dan Manucci (116), 10th QB/K Dave Marler (253)

1980: 2nd Gene Bradley (37), 8th Todd Krueger (202)

1982: 2nd Matt Kofler (48), 8th Luc Tousignant (218)

1983: 1st Jim Kelly (14)

Rodgers wasn't astablished starter yet when they drafted Brohm. Mark Brunell, Brooks And Hasselback were all drafted in the 4th or later. I don't think your drafting a qb in the second round to trade later.

This article reminds me of a football prospectus's guide on what is needed to look at in order to draft a QB out of college. You have to look at 3 things

1- Games Started - you have to look at what how many games a QB has started (And how many he could have) preferably you want 25 plus games (about 2 and a half college seasons) with no serious injuries (Not missing more then a game or two during his playing time). Although 30 or more starts is the preferred standard (3 full seasons of starts).

2- Accuracy - Use the Parcels standard of 60% or better completion percentage if a QB can't complete 60% of his passes in college he isn't going to be able to do it in the pros. In his best season you hope for an above 65% percentage and you hope accuracy maintains or gets better as he goes along.

3- Ability to make throws - If there is any question to the strength of a QB's arm then you might just want to pass on him. Its not that the guy needs to have a cannon just that he needs to be able to make all of the NFL throws.

No doubt impressive regardless of where one plays...but he plays in the MAC.

All of these QB's also played in the MAC.......couple of real nice careers (and a prospect) in here for some of them don't ya think?

Big Ben

Daunte Culpepper (Central Florida was in the MAC)

Chad Pennington

Byron Leftwich

Charlie Batch

Charlie Frye

Bruce Gradkowski

Nate Davis

Out of those QBs you listed, one has had a great career so far (Ben), and two others have had solid careers (Culpepper/Chad)..the rest are pretty much garbage.

To be fair however, the Big 12 is NOTORIOUS for not producing good NFL QBs.

To be fair, I'd put Culppepper at a better career than solid. He was a beast for a good 4-5 year span until injuries took their toll.

Out of those QBs you listed, one has had a great career so far (Ben), and two others have had solid careers (Culpepper/Chad)..the rest are pretty much garbage.

To be fair however, the Big 12 is NOTORIOUS for not producing good NFL QBs.

Out of those I listed, all are active. That's #1. Not bad for "playing in the MAC". #2 One is having a great career, another is a former NFL MVP and also had a very good career. One has lead multiple teams to the playoffs. One was average who has had a couple of very memorable games. Three are backups but have started games, and Davis actually surprised some in the Niners camp last year.

Again, not bad for just "playing in the MAC". Especially when someone who likes the ACC has the audacity to speak negatively about any other conference. The MAC knows where it stands. The ACC having any kind of say in the BCS is a pure joke. Most overrated garbage football conference ever.

All of these QB's also played in the MAC.......couple of real nice careers (and a prospect) in here for some of them don't ya think?

Big Ben

Daunte Culpepper (Central Florida was in the MAC)

Chad Pennington

Byron Leftwich

Charlie Batch

Charlie Frye

Bruce Gradkowski

Nate Davis

I think this proves that it's not only the qb but also the supporting cast. Big Ben is great because of the system and surrounding teammates. Take away a good line and RB and he's mediocre (see this past year). He also has an incredible will to win. That cannot be taught. It's natural and inherent. Daunte Culpepper became nothing after Moss left. Chad is definitely a system QB. So if Chan Gailey is as good as he thinks, he'll be able to develop a system that will work for whichever QB the Bills have.

The stats already posted about 1st RD qb's being starters is enough to scare me away from all the ?? that this years group have. The Bills need a sure fire starter this year at #1. Not another PROJECT!

Out of those I listed, all are active. That's #1. Not bad for "playing in the MAC". #2 One is having a great career, another is a former NFL MVP and also had a very good career. One has lead multiple teams to the playoffs. One was average who has had a couple of very memorable games. Three are backups but have started games, and Davis actually surprised some in the Niners camp last year.

Again, not bad for just "playing in the MAC". Especially when someone who likes the ACC has the audacity to speak negatively about any other conference. The MAC knows where it stands. The ACC having any kind of say in the BCS is a pure joke. Most overrated garbage football conference ever.

Who's talking about the ACC? Please spare me on the heralded careers of Frye, Batch, Gradkowski, Nate Davis, and Leftwich.

And again, you're reacting as if said it was a major factor. It's just a consideration, much like anything else about a player. No reason to go insane over it dude. Talk about an inferiority complex... <_<

I think this proves that it's not only the qb but also the supporting cast. Big Ben is great because of the system and surrounding teammates. Take away a good line and RB and he's mediocre (see this past year). He also has an incredible will to win. That cannot be taught. It's natural and inherent. Daunte Culpepper became nothing after Moss left. Chad is definitely a system QB. So if Chan Gailey is as good as he thinks, he'll be able to develop a system that will work for whichever QB the Bills have.

The stats already posted about 1st RD qb's being starters is enough to scare me away from all the ?? that this years group have. The Bills need a sure fire starter this year at #1. Not another PROJECT!

A good line?? How is it possible that you could make such an error? That line sucks. The Steelers offense is completely Big Ben. He's tough, smart and ballsy.

I agree. The line sucked this year. Thus his mediocre and banged up year.

That line sucks every year---including 2008. They gave up at least 46 sacks a year 4 years in a row!

Mediocre year??? He had a great year, despite the pressure he was under.