Canadian Press Reports George Cortez QB coach

FluffHead

EDIT: the article does not state that he will be QB coach but some guy at Billszone says "his guy" says he will be the QB coach

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianp...xroUhr_WA-l9-4Q

"The move is somewhat surprising given that earlier in the week word was that former Winnipeg head coach Doug Berry and Calgary Stampeders offensive co-ordinator George Cortez were the front-runners for the post.

But a second CFL source said Friday that Cortez instead will be heading to the NFL's Buffalo Bills to join new coach Chan Gailey's staff as an assistant"

"He returned to Calgary in 1997 and spent five years as offensive co-ordinator and quarterbacks coach, when he helped shape the careers of Jeff Garcia, Dave Dickenson and a young Henry Burris."

Wow, Henry Burris? I haven't heard that name in a while....I remember he was really getting a lot of attention as a future phenom in the NFL.

Cortez developed Kyle Bollar and Aron Rodgers at Cal as qb coach.

i like it... boller would have been better if he wasnt thrown right into the fire and didnt have billick as HC. billick really wasn't the qb master everyone (ie the media) made him out to be.

interestingly he was a coach in montreal when Polian and Marv both were...

I think he has more credentials than AVP ever did...

yes sir...

goes to show these guys aren't leaving any stone unturned. And he has a history at least of being an OC and developing pro level QBs so that is a plus... hard to get excited over a QB coach, but its not a bad move.

Some people are going to pick apart every move this staff makes, which is easy to do, because if they're right then they can say "I told you", and if they're wrong, then they will love that the Bills are winning and, I'm guessing, not say much other than to jump on the bandwagon. It's a no lose situation. Sure, it's been so long it's easy to be pessimistic, but, we've got to give this staff a few years, at the least (2), to critique them, and I for one have a feeling we'll all be happy this time next year.

Think about it: Buddy Nix isn't young. He's finally getting the job of his dreams, the one that will define his highest attempts at professionalism in the field he's spent his whole life in. He isn't going to piss this chance away. Precisely because he has this one chance, and only this chance, I believe we'll see his absolute best; and, he's got a good track record. Gailey, also, hasn't been too bad. He hasn't been the best, but, with all the factors - and, if you look at super bowl winning coaches previous history, I'm sure there will be a lengthy list of coaches with less promising careers. No matter, in the end we'll see when the next season is over how much we've improved or devolved, so to speak, but, I think the only thing that could help our Bills is to be supportive until we have reason to be otherwise.

(Yeah, we've been down that road before - but, Nix deserves his chance!)

Hummm helped develop TWO Pro bowl calibre QB's? We have never had that. So we are getting a guy who along with Gailey could develop a top level talent at QB if we got one in here.

I still say trade up in the draft and get the QB you want and let these two have at him.

Sorry...not buying into this. CFL is a step below major CFB and this guy spent the majority of his career there. I have a hard to buying into the concept that this guy is an undiscovered gem after 30 years, not to mention the fact that he left Call 6 years six years ago specifically to go to the NFL and never got a sniff.

Also, I hate to think AVP is standard by which our QB coaches are judged after having guys like Marchibroda, etc in town...so sad.

I think he has more credentials than AVP ever did...

Bingo.

Unlike some folks, I like the Chan Gailey hire. He's the guy Bill Cowher recommended as his successor. That is a pretty heavy positive credential in my mind.

So I have to trust Chan to make good choices.

Thankfully, Chan is an offensive-minded guy.

I am sure he will see the need for QB coaching around here.

And O-Line help.

Meh...we could do worse. I like the fact he helped develop Rodgers.

Rodgers was very less than average at Cal. It was not till he got to the Pack that he learned the throw the ball better than Trent Edwards. He was basically a ure 3 step QB in college.

I dont wanna nack Rodgers, because he is a good QB. I am just saying his college coach make mince meat pie out of filet minion.

Hummm helped develop TWO Pro bowl calibre QB's? We have never had that. So we are getting a guy who along with Gailey could develop a top level talent at QB if we got one in here.

I still say trade up in the draft and get the QB you want and let these two have at him.

My problem with this is that there isn't a QB in the whole draft that is worth taking in round 1, let alone trading

up for.

Sam Bradford is the concensus #1 QB, but he is not big/strong enough to take the pounding he'd receive

behind the Bills' OL.

Clausen is a mirage.

Pike and Lefeavre are projects.

Rodgers was very less than average at Cal. It was not till he got to the Pack that he learned the throw the ball better than Trent Edwards. He was basically a ure 3 step QB in college.

I dont wanna nack Rodgers, because he is a good QB. I am just saying his college coach make mince meat pie out of filet minion.

C'mon, lets not overstate things... Rodgers was a first round NFL pick, he was above average...