Why do Bills fans cling to crappy QB's?

DarthICE

Maybe its because we haven't had a real QB talent here in so long they think a staff should be able to polish a turd. I bring this up because we still have fans, even after all the proof on the field to the contrairy' that think Edwards is going to be the QB we need.

Edwards sucks. NO staff is going to be able to change what he is. Captain checkdown, oft injured, won't throw with anticipation or into tight coverage, ****ty throwing motion....in college and pros! You can't change what he is. Just like Collins, Hobart, JR, Flutie, Bledsoe (really going downhill when we got him), JP and now Edwards....ALL were nothing but BACKUP talent that the 'brain trust' at OBD though was starter quality.

But no matter what the proof, no matter how they failed its always 'the coaching' that is the problem. Well those guys listed went on to other teams and started a short while before teams (much quicker than the Bills) figured out they are nothing but backups at best and put them there. And still we had fans screaming that this guy or that guy just needs more time blah blah blah. NO THEY DONT! You will know in about 30 games or so if a guy has it or not IF that long. But we still have fans that fought like hell for this guy or that for some reason.

I am praying that Nix pulls the trigger and gets us some damn good talent in here to develop so we can put the QB issue (THE most important issue on a team) to rest finally.

Didn't Flutie make the Pro Bowl and lead the team to the playoffs??? :thumbsup: Didn't Bledsoe pass for over 4,000 yards?? :thumbsup:

I know it's the Bills so everyone and everything ever associated with the team sucks, but these guys both played well (at times) while they were here.

Edwards is probably not the answer, I agree with you there. But he did occasionally show signs of promise before being knocked silly at Arizona.

Maybe its because we haven't had a real QB talent here in so long they think a staff should be able to polish a turd. I bring this up because we still have fans, even after all the proof on the field to the contrairy' that think Edwards is going to be the QB we need.

Edwards sucks. NO staff is going to be able to change what he is. Captain checkdown, oft injured, won't throw with anticipation or into tight coverage, ****ty throwing motion....in college and pros! You can't change what he is. Just like Collins, Hobart, JR, Flutie, Bledsoe (really going downhill when we got him), JP and now Edwards....ALL were nothing but BACKUP talent that the 'brain trust' at OBD though was starter quality.

But no matter what the proof, no matter how they failed its always 'the coaching' that is the problem. Well those guys listed went on to other teams and started a short while before teams (much quicker than the Bills) figured out they are nothing but backups at best and put them there. And still we had fans screaming that this guy or that guy just needs more time blah blah blah. NO THEY DONT! You will know in about 30 games or so if a guy has it or not IF that long. But we still have fans that fought like hell for this guy or that for some reason.

I am praying that Nix pulls the trigger and gets us some damn good talent in here to develop so we can put the QB issue (THE most important issue on a team) to rest finally.

Whatever Nix and Gailey decide, is A-OK with me! :thumbsup:

Truth is we had a couple of good ones since Kelly. Unfortunately we haven't had a great like Jim Kelly in 15 years.

I disagree that we should draft one (if that's what your saying). I think the winning curve is small, just like it was with other GM's and coaches. I hate to say it, but Ralph's window is closing. The only option for Nix in my opinion is to get a proven starter in Buffalo, stat (QB). And draft a 3rd or a 4th round project to groom.

I definitely agree that none of the QB's we have had were Pro Bowl quality, or even top end QB's, I think with the exception of Bledsoe/Flutie, you are making a chicken and egg argument.

We as fans, and our organization, are so trigger happy to run a QB out of town and get the next guy in, that we have never developed a QB. We got lucky because the UFL did it for Kelly, but it could be argued that if we had a coach who actually knew how to develop a QB, they wouldn't suck.

Now these guys would still be all limited by their potential (I think they were all starting QB caliber, though it would have been as a middle of the road starter), but we will never really know the full potential as we have never actually developed a QB. Most QB's take a few years of starting, or better yet sitting and learning from the sidelines, but we never give a rookie QB time to sit and learn from the sidelines.

I agree that it is probably time to get Trent out of here, I still think he has the talent and is just screwed up in the head, but I don't think that its so much that we haven't had real QB talent, as we haven't had any coach who knows know how to get anything out of his QB.

Its not about liking crappy QBs, but how excited is the average Bills fan about potentially drafting from a pretty bad group of upcoming QBs? Trent Edwards has shown the ability to be more than servicible, but he needs to be protected better, as does any QB. I'd be fine with the Bills addressing other important holes, like OT, LB, and DE and give Trent another chance.

Truth is we had a couple of good ones since Kelly. Unfortunately we haven't had a great like Jim Kelly in 15 years.

It's worth noting that the last QB this franchise really developed was Joe Ferguson. Kelly cut his pro teeth in the USFL and came to Buffalo as a more or less finished product.

Unless and until we have an NFL quality offensive line, we really do not know what we have and it will not make much difference who the QB is.

I am one of the few (at least on this board) who thinks Edwards can be a good QB. Whether that ship has sailed in the eyes of Buddy and Chan, I have no idea.

Nevertheless, let's not fool ourselves. Whether we draft a QB, trade for a QB, sign a free agent QB, or keep what we have, we sure as sh*t better improve our line.

Edwards can NOT be a Good QB. He is what he is, a coward that is oft injured. The guy will not throw with anticipation, will not throw into tight coverage and has a horrible release. He also doesn't have the arm we need. He short hops throws and his deep ball wobbles more often than not. he holds the ball WAY too long then dumps off.

He also is not a leader. We need a leader, someone this team can rally around, Trent isn't that. We need a guy that is a gunslinger with a cannon strapped to his shoulder that can also be taught to read defenses at the NFL level.

Trent just isn't a starting calibre QB in this league. We cut him and he will never start for another team unless their real starter gets hurt.

The only decent QB that could have survived behind that line was Fran Tarkington. Edwards may be David Carr. But could he be Jim Plunkett? Recall that Plunkett got the snot beat out of him in NE before heading on to greener pastures.

It costs us relatively NOTHING to take a look at Edwards next year and he showed some things when the line was together to warrant the look. I seem to remember him looking good in Game 1. So we got THAT going for us...which is nice...

And if Adrian Wilson's helmet was poised to be planted under my chin every week, you bet I'd be checking down too.

Why are you clinging to Clausen/Bradford?

The only decent QB that could have survived behind that line was Fran Tarkington. Edwards may be David Carr. But could he be Jim Plunkett? Recall that Plunkett got the snot beat out of him in NE before heading on to greener pastures.

It costs us relatively NOTHING to take a look at Edwards next year and he showed some things when the line was together to warrant the look. I seem to remember him looking good in Game 1. So we got THAT going for us...which is nice...

And if Adrian Wilson's helmet was poised to be planted under my chin every week, you bet I'd be checking down too.

It sets the franchise back ANOTHER year staying with a ****ty QB. Look the guy SUCKS! time for the last stragglers to finally understand this clown needs to go. If not for Dick Jauron he NEVER would have started in this league.

I swear to God there is something about Bills fans that they must cling to any hope these ****ty QB's they keep putting out there are the next great QB for us. The guy sucks. Sucked in College, sucks in the pros and has no business starting in the NFL. Punt kick his ass and get some real talent in here for a change.

It sets the franchise back ANOTHER year staying with a ****ty QB. Look the guy SUCKS! time for the last stragglers to finally understand this clown needs to go. If not for Dick Jauron he NEVER would have started in this league.

I swear to God there is something about Bills fans that they must cling to any hope these ****ty QB's they keep putting out there are the next great QB for us. The guy sucks. Sucked in College, sucks in the pros and has no business starting in the NFL. Punt kick his ass and get some real talent in here for a change.

He isn't saying start him, he is saying let him compete. I think when you look at the start he had last year (he WAS throwing down field, he WAS throwing with accuracy) before the concussion, he looked like he could be a middle of the road starting QB. I think that the worst thing that we did with our QB situation however, was to come out during the offseason and announce who was going to start for us. All he is saying is it doesn't cost anything to let him compete.

I was very unhappy with the way Edwards played this year.. but he was pretty good before the concussion in AZ. I went to that game and saw it live.. it was a !@#$ed up hit.. Can he shake off the concussions? I don't know.. but I'd be willing to give him one more shot to compete in the pre-season. We haven't had a solid O line in over 10 years! That is the problem and until we get in solid tackles it won't really matter much who the QB is.

Actually Trent probably has one of the best throwing motions in the NFL, he is extremely quick in releasing the ball. I would give him a shot to compete for the starting job this year and see what happens, the dude is smart and quite frankly i would be a coward if i had to sit behind that o-line constantly getting battered. Lets see what he can do under some real coaches in a real offense not the no huddle crap schonert/avp/jauron installed.

Between anyone on this board and Bill Walsh, I'll lean towards Walsh's opinion of Edwards, which was favorable.

Having Edwards on the roster without a replacement only sets us back if they name him the starter tomorrow. If he's the best guy, he plays. If not, cut him. But cutting him now ignores his '09 situation and ignored the fact that, *****y as he may be, he may be the Bills best option for this season.

To say he just sucks because he sucks and he's *****y is really enlightening. Gailey is an offensive coach who made ****tier QB's than Edwards look okay. If he's there in late August, I am sure it's because he will deserve to be there.

I think it has less to do with whether we feel the QBs have been "crappy" and more to do with feeling like we haven't put our QBs in a position to succeed. It's hard to know if our QBs are crappy because they rarely have a good offensive line to play behind, a competent offensive coordinator, and good receivers all at the same time. I'm convinced that we could make Carson Palmer look like David Klingler with the offense we had this past season.

Between anyone on this board and Bill Walsh, I'll lean towards Walsh's opinion of Edwards, which was favorable.

Here is what the great Bill Walsh said about another QB

JIM DRUCKENMILLER, Virginia Tech.

"He has good size, about 6-5, 235, and a strong arm. He has such great potential and athletic ability, a la Drew Bledsoe, that he is a can't-miss.

Although the college program in which he played isn't quite as strong as some of the others, his physical attributes cannot be denied. He moves well for his size. There is certainly no doubt about his arm strength.

He throws extremely well down the field, with a combination of strength and the type of accuracy and touch that helps receivers stay in stride, and when the ball arrives it is relatively easy to catch. He is a take-charge type of guy you want to be your leader at quarterback. In terms of throwing and leadership ability, he has been compared to Jim Kelly, who is one of the most dynamic quarterbacks ever to play the game."

Sound familiar ?

You like Trent, Bill likes Trent, so you agree with Bill.

I'm not sure why folks hung onto jp for so long, but I can understand liking Trent. For the first month of 2008, he was being mentioned as a league MVP by some national media. Then he got his brain scrambled in Arizona, and he hasn't been the same since.

I think they are just as concerned about the QB's on the roster as we are. However, until they can get some new guys in here via the draft or free agency, it would be foolish to treat them as anything but our QB's. For they know at this point, circumstances may force them to start one of those guys for a year while other roster holes are filled. Really, what would you have them say, in public, if asked about any of the QB's on the roster right now? At this point, the only value Trent has to the team is either as a stop gap starter or as trade bait. Going after him in public would wreck both of those.

Here is what the great Bill Walsh said about another QB

JIM DRUCKENMILLER, Virginia Tech.

"He has good size, about 6-5, 235, and a strong arm. He has such great potential and athletic ability, a la Drew Bledsoe, that he is a can't-miss.

Although the college program in which he played isn't quite as strong as some of the others, his physical attributes cannot be denied. He moves well for his size. There is certainly no doubt about his arm strength.

He throws extremely well down the field, with a combination of strength and the type of accuracy and touch that helps receivers stay in stride, and when the ball arrives it is relatively easy to catch. He is a take-charge type of guy you want to be your leader at quarterback. In terms of throwing and leadership ability, he has been compared to Jim Kelly, who is one of the most dynamic quarterbacks ever to play the game."

Sound familiar ?

You like Trent, Bill likes Trent, so you agree with Bill.

With all due respect, Druck only started one NFL game in his entire career. He was a bust from the get-go since he lacked accuracy (completed only 54% in college) and was dumb as a box of rocks. Edwards has already shown glimpses that he can play in this league. He had a winning record in his first two years (12-11). Up until the New Orleans game, he showed some promise. He just wasn't the same from that point on. If he was injured then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt... if not then hopefully Chan and company can fix him. Otherwise, he may make a serviceable backup.

HOW DARE YOU TALK S**T ABOUT FLUTIE! HE WAS THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED TO THE BILLS AFTER KELLY AND MICHELIN MAN DECIDES TO BENCH HIM AND PUT IN THAT BRAIN DEAD ASSHAT ROB JOHNSON

HOW DARE YOU TALK S**T ABOUT FLUTIE! HE WAS THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED TO THE BILLS AFTER KELLY AND MICHELIN MAN DECIDES TO BENCH HIM AND PUT IN THAT BRAIN DEAD ASSHAT ROB JOHNSON

Flutie was a gimick QB. He got figured out his first go around in the NFL and had to leave. We bring him back, teams figure him out. He goes to SD, gets figured out there and made the backup that he always was. Flutie was nothing more than a gimick QB that was a solid backup, but once teams figured him out, he was done.

Guest dog14787

I'll make a couple of predictions,

I predict JP Losman will restart his NFL career and eventually carry a team to the playoffs.

I predict Trent Edwards will carry his team to the playoffs one day.

I predict 90% of the folks that seemed to know it all when it comes to JP Losman and Trent Edwards will never admit how wrong they were when both of them succeed in the NFL.

Time will tell...

GO SABRES!!! ( I predict Tyler Myers is going to be a pretty good hockey player one day) :D

i agree with the edwards sucking part.

flutie was the bomb. i loved watching bills football with him under center. at least it was exciting.

With all due respect, Druck only started one NFL game in his entire career. He was a bust from the get-go since he lacked accuracy (completed only 54% in college) and was dumb as a box of rocks. Edwards has already shown glimpses that he can play in this league. He had a winning record in his first two years (12-11). Up until the New Orleans game, he showed some promise. He just wasn't the same from that point on. If he was injured then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt... if not then hopefully Chan and company can fix him. Otherwise, he may make a serviceable backup.

My point is that just because Bill Walsh says that a player has potential doesn't mean anything by itself. Posters believe because Bill says so, then it must be true. I was not comparing the two QBs at all.

I'll make a couple of predictions,

I predict JP Losman will restart his NFL career and eventually carry a team to the playoffs.

I predict Trent Edwards will carry his team to the playoffs one day.

I predict 90% of the folks that seemed to know it all when it comes to JP Losman and Trent Edwards will never admit how wrong they were when both of them succeed in the NFL.

Time will tell...

jp was a goofy qb. made too many costly mistakes. had a nice long ball.

i was all aboard the trent train till i started seeing and reading the facts. we need a gun slinger or a risk taker. trent is neither. so long trent.

by the way if your predictions come true. that would prove their talent. how could we argue talent/results?

but since they havent done that....

You can have all the rest but Flutie (If given the team ) and the chance instead of after leading the team to the brink of the play offs and getting pulled the last game for that SO CALLED QB Rob J O Johnson !!! Flutie was an always will be a winner that guy had heart & i think it would've been a different out come if not for that brilliant decision , but i agree with the rest .

you mean the average @ best QB talent in this draft?

it will set the franchise back 5 years if they chase the overhyped Clausen or Bradford.

Perhaps it is because new QB's usually arrive with such promise and start to show some flashes of greatness and then rapidly regress from the hits they are forced to endure behind poor offensive lines.

Anyone rememeber that JP Losman threw 2-83 yd TD bombs to Lee Evans against the Texans in 2006, he went 26-38 340 yards and 3 TD's. Then after they see that performance the fans expect that every game.

The Bills haven't had an offensive coordinator even close to the level of Ted Marchibroda since he quit to be the HC for the Colts. You know, the guy who set up the old Redskin "counter trey" running game and taught Jim Kelly to call his own plays.

Its not about liking crappy QBs, but how excited is the average Bills fan about potentially drafting from a pretty bad group of upcoming QBs? Trent Edwards has shown the ability to be more than servicible, but he needs to be protected better, as does any QB. I'd be fine with the Bills addressing other important holes, like OT, LB, and DE and give Trent another chance.

Exactly! It is perhaps some degree of false hope in Trent. But if Trent is truly a failure then you can kiss the playoffs good-bye for another 2-3 years. I would rather get a few pieces in FA and draft LT/OLB 's that can start right away allowing Trent one more year. Yes Sanchez and Flacco made it to the playoffs but with riduculously great defenses. Buffalo doesn't have nearly the caliber of defense. None of the QB's in this draft except Clausen look NFL ready. Is there a back-up QB out there that can lead right away - Kolb, Garcia, Troy Smith - that can be had for a mid round draft pick. Probably not good enough or in the case of Kolb won't be available for a reasonable price.

Guest dog14787
jp was a goofy qb. made too many costly mistakes. had a nice long ball.

i was all aboard the trent train till i started seeing and reading the facts. we need a gun slinger or a risk taker. trent is neither. so long trent.

by the way if your predictions come true. that would prove their talent. how could we argue talent/results?

but since they havent done that....

The sacks and injuries Trent Edwards suffers while trying to keep plays alive, if not a risk what would you call it? Better to throw the ball into double coverage or before the pass pattern has time to develop and throw an interception? So TE checks it down and tries to keep the ball moving , but that's not good enough for anyone.

Its a fact, QB's have regressed behind the Bills coaching staffs and General Management or lack there of over the last few years. The Bills have ranked close to last in almost every important offensive category.

We have two choices, continue with poor management and keep burning through QB's and sending them down the road as the scapegoat or bring in proper management and start winning football games. Good coaching and upper management could take Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Brohm, even JP Losman and get there perspective team to the playoffs in my opinion.

So lets not kid ourselves here, good QB's are important for success in the national Football league, but without proper management and Coaching its not happening...

Its a fact, QB's have regressed behind the Bills coaching staffs and General Management or lack there of over the last few years. The Bills have ranked close to last in almost every important offensive category.

We have two choices, continue with poor management and keep burning through QB's and sending them down the road as the scapegoat or bring in proper management and start winning football games, its as simple as that in my opinion. Good coaching could take Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Brohm, even JP friggin Losman and get there perspective team to the playoffs.

So lets not kid ourselves here, good QB are important for success in the national Football league, but without proper management and Coaching staff its not happening...

How have they regressed? We haven't taken one worth a damn since Kelly. You can't regress if you suck in the first place. Try to understand this, Edwards was NOT good in College. You guys act like he was a heisman trophy contender or national champion. The guy SUCKED in College. Come on folks...

Guest dog14787
How have they regressed? We haven't taken one worth a damn since Kelly. You can't regress if you suck in the first place. Try to understand this, Edwards was NOT good in College. You guys act like he was a heisman trophy contender or national champion. The guy SUCKED in College. Come on folks...

Jim Kelly couldn't do squat behind our current O-line and he sure had allot better coaching and General Management.

If you didn't actually visibly see the regression in Losman and Edwards than we see things differently.

i dont watch college football. 1 or 2 bowl games at most. i watch a bunch of nfl games. (all teams)

HOWEVER, i asked a coworker about trents college years. he was not impressed by him in college.

so im with you darthice, if he sucked in college, how could we expect him to shine in an elite league??

that doesnt mean a player cant develop, but trent sure hasnt.

The sacks and injuries Trent Edwards suffers while trying to keep plays alive, if not a risk what would you call it? Better to throw the ball into double coverage or before the pass pattern has time to develop and throw an interception? So TE checks it down and tries to keep the ball moving , but that's not good enough for anyone.

We have two choices, continue with poor management and keep burning through QB's and sending them down the road as the scapegoat or bring in proper management and start winning football games. Good coaching and upper management could take Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Brohm, even JP Losman and get there perspective team to the playoffs in my opinion.

So lets not kid ourselves here, good QB's are important for success in the national Football league, but without proper management and Coaching its not happening...

YES a gun slinger does this all the time. its called talent. by the way, he gets critized a lot for missing the open receivers. u have defenders on the other side. unless a cb falls, there will always be some coverage...

no defending the undefendable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe5gIxBVrXM

^We knew exactly what he'd be when we drafted him...a project with a lot of upside and some questions about durability. What have we done? We've thrown him to the wolves and given him a poor offensive line. In other words, we set him up to fail.

With good offensive coaching and REAL investment in the offensive line (i.e. not letting a pro-bowl LT go) I still think Trent can be a good QB in time.

Both JP Losman and Trent Edwards have shown flashes- but that fizzled out due to having no blocking up front and a defense that isn't good enough. The defense factor won't effect veterans very much- notice Bledsoe in his second year after we got him- but when you are developing a young QB, that can be a major added pressure. If we find a QB of the future, I don't want him on the field for a year or two- we need to stabilize the offensive line before we waste another high pick.