Are there any home renovators on the board?

zevo

I have an 8 year old home with a modest sized master bath. I despise the cermaic tile in the master bath. It covers two walls of a shower, the floor and a jucuzzi tub surround. There is probably roughly 125 sq ft of tile. My question is how big or difficult a job would it be to remove the tile and re-tile. is it as simple as taking off the old tile and retiling over or is this going to involve ripping out the drywall and starting over? Does anyone one know what a job like this might cost per sq ft if I hired someone?

I have an 8 year old home with a modest sized master bath. I despise the cermaic tile in the master bath. It covers two walls of a shower, the floor and a jucuzzi tub surround. There is probably roughly 125 sq ft of tile. My question is how big or difficult a job would it be to remove the tile and re-tile. is it as simple as taking off the old tile and retiling over or is this going to involve ripping out the drywall and starting over? Does anyone one know what a job like this might cost per sq ft if I hired someone?

Taking the tile up off the floor is a hard job, but taking the floor up is worse. Get a tile scraper to pull the tile up, and then you'll have to do something to smooth it out (either big-ass industrial sander, or some self-leveling cement, depending on the condition of the floor) before putting new tile down.

The walls...if you have drywall behind the tiles, you need to tear it down to the framing, as the tiling should be done over cement backer board. More likely you have the backer board behind the tiles, in which case it's again just a pain in the ass job of ripping the tile off.

Be glad it's an eight year old house. Mine's 50 years old; I had to tear out a concrete and metal lath wall out of a shower a couple years ago. Talk about pain in the ass jobs, it was almost literally :thumbsup:.

Me and my father tried this to our upper half bath and it was just a royal pain in the :thumbsup:. We really had no experience in flooring, but did put in pergo flooring through the downstairs in the kitchen and dinning room. We figured eh we could do that to. I suggest like the others if you dont have experience have someone else do it. The stress is not worth it.

Zevo- it sounds like a big job and if you haven't done it before I would steer clear, as tiling can be difficult. I am not sure where you live, but here in Rochester you can get the job done for $4-$7 per sq foot plus whatever the materials cost.

Demo tile is easy if you got the right tools. I've removed over 400 hotel bathroom tile floors and some elevator tile floors.

Tile is sharp. It will cut you up so protection is needed Eye, face, hands, arms.

Short handle sludgeHAMMER and whack away. Start were water has soften/loosen the tiles.

Crowbar to chisel out and smooth.

Or use a Hitachi rotary HAMMER.

Or PM me with your contact number.

It is not as hard as some people make it out to be, but if you are not handy, then do the demo yourself and hire someone to put up the new tile. Doing the demo will save you some money, and the fact that you hate the tile that is there makes it kind of fun.

I am not a contractor/ builder, I work for the govment, and I tiled my master and it came out great. You cannot tell that I did it myself. I am handy though and do most of my home improvement projects myself. Also, I don't find doing projects around the house stressful, actually I find them to be the exact opposite.

Have fun!

I'm thinking a project like this should be avoided when you are drunk.

So, with that in mind, I think it is best to get someone else to do it.

:D

Same goes for bicycles. Yet, get somebody who knows what they are doing!

Back in the 1970's my grandmother won a 10 speed bike at a St. Josaphat's Church raffle... She gave it to my older brother... Need I say the parish men assembled that bike for my brother DURING A BILLS GAME!

Like now... Those were some tough years for the Bills... I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall seeing those men assemble it. I know my grandmother did and she had some very "choice" words about those fine church going men! :huh:

That bicycle was never quite right... He was riding crooked for the whole 1970's!

Zevo- it sounds like a big job and if you haven't done it before I would steer clear, as tiling can be difficult. I am not sure where you live, but here in Rochester you can get the job done for $4-$7 per sq foot plus whatever the materials cost.

Im definitely going to hire out. 4 to 7$ per sq foot is right in the ballpark if those estimate ring true.

Whatever you do, don't go with Home Depot. Buy the supplies there, but don't hire them to do the work. They just sub it out and from what I've heard, they do a terrible job at it.

+100000000000 Take it from a contractor and a former Home Depot employee! It's literally rolling the dice with your home and money. They are the worst option, IMO.

+100000000000 Take it from a contractor and a former Home Depot employee! It's literally rolling the dice with your home and money. They are the worst option, IMO.

I offered my help by having Zevo PM me with their contact info. I got no PM, so that's why I said Home Depot. If I got a PM with contact info I might be able to help Zeno out with a contractor up in Amherst.

I offered my help by having Zevo PM me with their contact info. I got no PM, so that's why I said Home Depot. If I got a PM with contact info I might be able to help Zeno out with a contractor up in Amherst.

Hopefully he takes you up Hammered. However limited we know eachother, I think it's safe to say you would do a good job or reference somebody else that would. The big orange dumpster is just awful though. Being in Rochester, I can only speak of what i know about the stores out here.