Gregg Williams talking like the idiot he is

Rayzer32

Ah so that proves they were out to intentionally cheap shot and injure Favre. Well grego guess what? This is payton manning, the NFL is gonna protect his ass even more than Marcia Brady. And now that you have announced your plans, your guys even get close to manning it is 15 yards and possibly an ejection

It won't change anything, you can't protect the quarterbacks more than they already do.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good ole Greggo telling PFT that they want to hurt Manning and take him out of the game. Way to go Gregg, announce it to the world. Not like it hasn't been obvious the last 2 games you played anyways. Apparently he must not trust his defense that much if he thinks they NEED to take Manning out to win the game. He will be fined I'm thinking. Once a man boobed B word, always a man boobed B word.

Art LINKletter

Well, for starters, Greggo's in the Super Bowl. And all he's doing is admitting that it's going to be really hard to beat the Colts with Manning in the game. Nothing wrong with that. And there's nothing wrong with hitting the QB as hard as you can - legally. There was one hit against Favre that was dirty. Out of how many times he got pummelled? It's not only a good game plan against great QBs, it's the only game plan. I can't believe after all these years, people still have such hatred for an ex-head coach. It's not like the guy came here and set out to have the Bills suck. He faced the same problems with the owner and front office as every other Post-Levy coach did; and he got the same results.

Good ole Greggo telling PFT that they want to hurt Manning and take him out of the game. Way to go Gregg, announce it to the world. Not like it hasn't been obvious the last 2 games you played anyways. Apparently he must not trust his defense that much if he thinks they NEED to take Manning out to win the game. He will be fined I'm thinking. Once a man boobed B word, always a man boobed B word.

Art LINKletter

I was on the fence I love New Orleans and it's people. Polian and the Indy Buffalo connection are high on my list as well. Then Greggo opened his mouth. Just when i was starting to respect him there was the air horn again.

I am all about Indy now!

Art LINKletter

I was on the fence I love New Orleans and it's people. Polian and the Indy Buffalo connection are high on my list as well. Then Greggo opened his mouth. Just when i was starting to respect him there was the air horn again.

I am all about Indy now!

Ah so that proves they were out to intentionally cheap shot and injure Favre. Well grego guess what? This is payton manning, the NFL is gonna protect his ass even more than Marcia Brady. And now that you have announced your plans, your guys even get close to manning it is 15 yards and possibly an ejection

Umm, I've heard plenty of coordinators and coaches say the same thing - "We want to hit the QB so that he doesn't want to play anymore." Hell, isn't that the gameplan against receivers going over the middle too?

Regardless, it sounds like the author is taking things COMPLETELY out of context to make his story and get people to read it. "We want to make sure we hit Manning to throw him off his rhythm, and I'm not going to tell my defenders to worry about penalties because then they won't be playing, they'll be worrying about penalties."

There's nothing to see here - except for the story the author wants you to believe.

I am sure he instructed his defense to hit Favre as much as possible, just like he will tell them to do to Manning, but I seriously doubt he said to try to hurt him. Get real. Maybe if the Bills defense would hit the quarterback a little, they might win a few more games.

How do you not equate "you hope he doesn't get back up and play again" with not trying to injure?

How do you not equate "you hope he doesn't get back up and play again" with not trying to injure?

He didn't say that. Even in the article, he was quoted as saying, "When you put too much of that type of worry on a warrior's mind, he doesn't play all out," Williams said. "If it happens, it happens. And the only thing you'd like for me to say is that if it happens you hope he doesn't get back up and play again."

Almost like the interviewer is trying to goad him into saying that he's trying to injure someone, when all he's saying is, "I'm not telling my guys to let up on the QB for fear of getting a penalty. If you get one, you get one." Sound advice, as you don't want your players playing scared.

1. As a DC facing a premiere QB like Manning, you most certainly would love to say that QB knocked out of the game.

2. As a coach, you should NEVER admit this to the press

Classic Gregg and evidence once again that he simply doesn't get it. That's why he came to Buffalo, inherited a pretty good defense, dismantled it (because he knew better than anyone else how to best assemble a team), rubbed all the veteran players the wrong way -- and was asked to leave after 3 years. Then, goes to Washington, where he effectively plays the bad cop role to Gibbs' "aw shucks" good cop. But once Gibbs is gone, gets passed over for the head coaching job largely because of his inability to get along with others.

And it is stuff like this which makes Williams a fantastic DC -- but a terrible HC.

1. As a DC facing a premiere QB like Manning, you most certainly would love to say that QB knocked out of the game.

Classic Gregg and evidence once again that he simply doesn't get it. That's why he came to Buffalo, inherited a pretty good defense, dismantled it (because he knew better than anyone else how to best assemble a team), rubbed all the veteran players the wrong way -- and was asked to leave after 3 years. Then, goes to Washington, where he effectively plays the bad cop role to Gibbs' "aw shucks" good cop. But once Gibbs is gone, gets passed over for the head coaching job largely because of his inability to get along with others.

And it is stuff like this which makes Williams a fantastic DC -- but a terrible HC.

In his four years with the Skins, 1 year with the Jags, and 1 year with the Saints, his defenses' average ranking has been 15.5 out of 32. He's overrated, and I think it's partly because he sucks up to national media (e.g.., ESPN).

In his four years with the Skins, 1 year with the Jags, and 1 year with the Saints, his defenses' average ranking has been 15.5 out of 32. He's overrated, and I think it's partly because he sucks up to national media (e.g.., ESPN).

his defenses are very predictable. he's gotten bailed out this year because of all the points the saints score. give bills D that same offense and i promise you they at least get to the conference finals

even with the saints having the #1 offense this year greggo still only managed a 20th ranked defense

his defenses are very predictable. he's gotten bailed out this year because of all the points the saints score. give bills D that same offense and i promise you they at least get to the conference finals

even with the saints having the #1 offense this year greggo still only managed a 20th ranked defense

They were 25th this year. Points isn't the best measure because the defense doesn't have control over points entirely. That is, an opponent can score in different ways: vs. the defense, on special teams, or via a turnover. And a team can also take advantage of a turnover and have a drive start in a team's red zone. With regard to yardage, that is the one thing that is entirely in the defense's control.

He's a make the players fit the system not a create a system that fits the players. He thinks being one of the few to understand the 46 defense makes him a great DC and he uses it whether or not he has the players to make it work. I'm glad to hear that Gailey makes systems around his current talent.

I agree that putting this out there (baited or not) is not very wise, but there is a line between wishing injury and hoping someone doesn't want to get back up.

A linebacker I knew at ND, Brandon Hoyte, once absolutely demolished Tennessee QB Erik Ainge and knocked him out for the season. Ainge respected the hit and Hoyte put it very well in a post-game quote:

"You don't just hit people to tackle them," Hoyte said after the game. "You tackle them so they won't get back up. I say that respectfully."

Clean, hard hits that make a guy writhe on the turf and want to call it a day are what football is all about.

I agree that putting this out there (baited or not) is not very wise, but there is a line between wishing injury and hoping someone doesn't want to get back up.

A linebacker I knew at ND, Brandon Hoyte, once absolutely demolished Tennessee QB Erik Ainge and knocked him out for the season. Ainge respected the hit and Hoyte put it very well in a post-game quote:

Clean, hard hits that make a guy writhe on the turf and want to call it a day are what football is all about.

there was nothing clean about one guy holding farve up high and another drilling him in the legs from behind

"This guy's got a great clock in his head," Williams told 104.5 The Zone, via ESPN.com. "The big thing is that he throws the ball so early that we're going to have to do a good job of finding ways to get to him and when we do get to him we're going to have to make sure he gets a couple 'remember me' shots when we get there."

"When you put too much of that type of worry on a warrior's mind, he doesn't play all out," Williams said. "If it happens, it happens. And the only thing you'd like for me to say is that if it happens you hope he doesn't get back up and play again."

It sounds to me like the comment is taken out of context. The "You'd like for me to say" thing makes me wonder. If he said that then he's a reeeeeaaaaalllllll idiot. The Saints defensive players are going to be watched like hawks by the officials. It might also make the Indy D be more aggressive.

Unfortunately, I'm still rooting for N.O.. Williams getting a ring will just be a sad consequence.

That will easily be remedied when a Colt O lineman takes Bobby McCray's knees out, which needs to happen after the shots he put on Warner and Favre. The Saints don't have a prayer in this game. No way there secondary can cover the Colts' receivers. I think the Jets D is far superior to the Saints anyways. The Colts know the Saints will try and blitz. Once they beat it, which they will by the second qtr, the game is theirs.

there was nothing clean about one guy holding farve up high and another drilling him in the legs from behind

And of course after the fact the NFL is saying :D . Just means that Greggo and his defense will be watched even more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/200...tory?id=4868880