PFT Post Reminds of Disasterous Tripplett Decision

Underappreciated in the pantheon of boneheaded moves over the past few years was the decision to pick Larry Tripplett over Ryan Pickett in 2006 offseason. How many fans believed a 285 lber made sense at DT? Why did our pro personnel dept?

Pickett and Ngata in the middle would have gone a long way to masking all of the other absurd personnel decisions that were made over the past few years.

Also, a reminder that good players are available every offseason and it might not take as long as some expect to reshape this woeful roster.

See:

Thompson's offseason agenda starts with Pickett

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...s-with-pickett/

Underappreciated in the pantheon of boneheaded moves over the past few years was the decision to pick Larry Tripplett over Ryan Pickett in 2006 offseason. How many fans believed a 285 lber made sense at DT? Why did our pro personnel dept?

Pickett and Ngata in the middle would have gone a long way to masking all of the other absurd personnel decisions that were made over the past few years.

Also, a reminder that good players are available every offseason and it might not take as long as some expect to reshape this woeful roster.

See:

Thompson's offseason agenda starts with Pickett

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...s-with-pickett/

Don't quote me on this, but I think Pickett is more of a 2-gap guy and Tripplett is a definite 3-gap. I don't think 280 lbs is out of the range for a 3-gap guy.

But, yes, Tripplett was not a productive pickup.

Let's ignore the fact that buffalo tried to get Pickett, but he turned down our offer and chose green bay instead.

Exactly. So at least Pickett was going because of the better weather and good looking women. And I don't think Tripplett got huge $.

People love to hard on Marv but he did try to fill his needs in FA and concentrate on other positions in the draft. Unfortunately, that led to Tripplett over Ngata and Fowler over Mangold.

Let's ignore the fact that buffalo tried to get Pickett, but he turned down our offer and chose green bay instead.

Look guys, I love the fealty to the talking points of the front office, but the fact was that Pickett liked Kollar (surprisingly) and actually wanted to come to the Bills if we matched the Packers' offer. Marv/Guy/Whomever chose not to because Tripplett was also available. My guess is that it was because Tripplett better fit the scheme (for Dick Jauron) and cost about $1 M less per year (for Overdorf/Littmann).

Free-agent nose tackle Ryan Pickett flew out of Green Bay on Monday afternoon knowing how much the Packers want him but without signing a contract. Pickett was headed for Buffalo and a meeting with the Bills, whose new defensive line coach, Bill Kollar, served as Pickett's position coach throughout his five-year career in St. Louis. The Rams reportedly have a strong offer on the table for Pickett.

-- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, March 14, 2006

People love to hard on Marv but he did try to fill his needs in FA and concentrate on other positions in the draft. Unfortunately, that led to Tripplett over Ngata and Fowler over Mangold.

Criticism of both Marv's strategy and his tactics is justified. Strategically, he focused his best draft day resources on the wrong positions. With three first round picks, on a rebuilding team, he took 1 SS, 1 RB, and only one lineman of any kind (the McCargo bust). That's a bad strategy, worsened by the fact that Marv's first round picks were generally reaches.

As far as tactics go: none of the players he took in the first round are currently starters. Both his drafts combined yielded just two current starters: Brad Butler and Kyle Williams. Of those two, the former should probably be upgraded once the team gets a spare draft pick. The scary thing is that, as bad as Marv's drafts were, his free agent signings were even worse. Literally every free agent signing he made turned out to be a mistake. Peerless Price, Larry Triplett, Mike Gandy, Robert Royal, Tuten Reyes, Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker, Melvin Fowler, and probably a few other mistakes I'm forgetting. There's nothing positive on that list to offset its (many) negatives! :thumbsup:

just like they "tried" to a high profile GM

just didn't "try" very hard to close the deal (or even start the process)

nobody spins the fan base better than Russ Brandon

Criticism of both Marv's strategy and his tactics is justified. Strategically, he focused his best draft day resources on the wrong positions. With three first round picks, on a rebuilding team, he took 1 SS, 1 RB, and only one lineman of any kind (the McCargo bust). That's a bad strategy, worsened by the fact that Marv's first round picks were generally reaches.

As far as tactics go: none of the players he took in the first round are currently starters. Both his drafts combined yielded just two current starters: Brad Butler and Kyle Williams. Of those two, the former should probably be upgraded once the team gets a spare draft pick. The scary thing is that, as bad as Marv's drafts were, his free agent signings were even worse. Literally every free agent signing he made turned out to be a mistake. Peerless Price, Larry Triplett, Mike Gandy, Robert Royal, Tuten Reyes, Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker, Melvin Fowler, and probably a few other mistakes I'm forgetting. There's nothing positive on that list to offset its (many) negatives! :devil:

Marv wasn't a good GM. I think he was hoping to slide into the Head Coaching job, but took the GM job and well, sucked!

It's in the past (though the consequences still effect the team). I just want to see some improvement, because just about ANY fan could have made decisions as good (or as bad) as the last couple regimes.

In the Basement: Cleveland, Detroit and Buffalo

I can literally do as good a job as any of the GM's of these teams without anything but the "knowledge" :thumbsup: I have acquired as a high school athlete, and a fan watching on TV.

yet another bone heading signing and for a pretty penny as well. These are the Ralph is so cheap signing people choose to forget when they want to write the Ralph is cheap comments. He pays his players even with the rest of the league he just wouldnt let a football guy make decisions- until now

Look guys, I love the fealty to the talking points of the front office, but the fact was that Pickett liked Kollar (surprisingly) and actually wanted to come to the Bills if we matched the Packers' offer. Marv/Guy/Whomever chose not to because Tripplett was also available. My guess is that it was because Tripplett better fit the scheme (for Dick Jauron) and cost about $1 M less per year (for Overdorf/Littmann).

Free-agent nose tackle Ryan Pickett flew out of Green Bay on Monday afternoon knowing how much the Packers want him but without signing a contract. Pickett was headed for Buffalo and a meeting with the Bills, whose new defensive line coach, Bill Kollar, served as Pickett's position coach throughout his five-year career in St. Louis. The Rams reportedly have a strong offer on the table for Pickett.

-- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, March 14, 2006

If I recall, we offered Pickett more money and he turned us down.

If I recall, we offered Pickett more money and he turned us down.

Funny how that always seems to happen. Almost makes one wonder if we offered LESS money but suggested otherwise after the fact in an attempt to keep the fan base happy.

Weird that he came to Buffalo for a workout after Green Bay if he intended to sign there anyway, isn't it? Refuse to sign a contract with Green Bay, go to Buffalo where you're offered more money, and then return to Green Bay to sign their offer?

And no one is picking northern Wisconsin over WNY on lifestyle grounds either.

Funny how that always seems to happen. Almost makes one wonder if we offered LESS money but suggested otherwise after the fact in an attempt to keep the fan base happy.

Could be.

Heard the same thing about Pat Williams when he became a free agent. Donahoe offered him more (or same), and he still went to the Vikes.

Weird that he came to Buffalo for a workout after Green Bay if he intended to sign there anyway, isn't it? Refuse to sign a contract with Green Bay, go to Buffalo where you're offered more money, and then return to Green Bay to sign their offer?

And no one is picking northern Wisconsin over WNY on lifestyle grounds either.

Its not always about money, maybe he liked the scheme/defence that the Packers planned to use him in better then what the Bills had plan to use him.

Marv wasn't a good GM. I think he was hoping to slide into the Head Coaching job, but took the GM job and well, sucked!

It's in the past (though the consequences still effect the team). I just want to see some improvement, because just about ANY fan could have made decisions as good (or as bad) as the last couple regimes.

In the Basement: Cleveland, Detroit and Buffalo

I can literally do as good a job as any of the GM's of these teams without anything but the "knowledge" :unsure: I have acquired as a high school athlete, and a fan watching on TV.

Buffalo has not been at the same level as Cleveland and Detroit in the Basement. Buffalo has been a mediocre team, middle of the pact (lower middle). With DJ they typically finished 7-9 and around the middle 1/3 of the league. Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland, Oakland, etc have been finishing in the bottom 5 many times over the last decade

Could be.

Heard the same thing about Pat Williams when he became a free agent. Donahoe offered him more (or same), and he still went to the Vikes.

Not Williams. He desperately wanted to stay in Buffalo and offered us a home-town discount.

Pickett, I don't know about, but no, Williams was just a horrible decision by Donahoe.