Interesting doings at OLB for the Bills

The fairly consistent chatter that Gailey would be open to switching to a 3-4 D (it has not been his or the Bills past habit so the highlighting of this openess may simply be the usual blogger stoker rumor but the talk has been persistent enough I think it is probably real.

If so the current Bills depth chart which shows Chris Draft and Bryan Scott as the OLB starters clearly needs two new players if this switch is going to make the team imposing. Draft and Scott played better than expected last year but it is hard to see them sticking around as more than very reliable back-ups at OLB.

This would mean the Bills are gonna be in the market for 2 OLBs and really heightens the possibility that our #9 choice may be an OLB. Maybe Graham from MI will still be around.

We have a chunk of FA money even running a cap to cash system and taking a run after UFA Dansby from AZ seems like a nit unreasonable possibility.

My guess would be though that part of what the Bills have in mind though is actually given a full pre-season to practice and teach him that the Bills are gonna switch Maybin to OLB. True many fans are already declaring his career a bust after he disappointed big time his rookie year. This attitude strikes me as simply premature given his holdout and how this likely retarded teaching him a new position.

The Bills coaches has no confidence in him playing DE likely due to his relatively small size for a starting DE and the LB coaches has no confidence in him since they never got or were given the chance to teach him. The end result was that he was not well used. I am disappointed in Maybin as well though as a very good player simply forces the braintrust to put him the field with his play. Maybin did not do this.

However, it still seems premature to simply disregard him given that the Bills braintrust already has proven they were not very successful at football. I think much of the anitpathy expressed on TSW about Maybin actually stems from folks being really cheesed at the FO in general. Far from a guarantee that Maybin succeeds but he deserves a shot.

Another possibility is that Poluszny returns to the OLB position which he played a lot of in college. He has the speed to do this and the pro cover skills which actually made him a not unreasonable choice for the deep coverage responsibilities of the MLB in our Cover 2.

For this move to remotely make sense though we would need a stud MLB. Thus, we would need to go MLB in FA (maybe Brackett from Indy though I do not think he is stud enough. Perhaps McClain drops to us at #9 and this is a viable option.

The hiring of Griff Smith by Gailey interests me as rather than wait until his DC hire for him to put together his squad of position coaches, Gailey already clearly sees a need by this team of special attention at OLB. If we go 3-4 I think it increases the probability we go OLB or maybe MLB in this draft.

Guest dog14787

Georgia's Techs 6'-4", 270 lbs. DE Derrick Morgan finished the 2009 campaign with 55 tackles, 18.5 tackles-for-loss and 12.5 sacks.

The Kids a gamer ...

Rolando McClain = Cornelius Bennett....

draft him now

and for those suggesting Schobel plays a true outside LB, you are out of your mind. he would simply be a rush end effectively and a DE on 1st and 2nd down. he is not covering anybody except maybe on the odd RB on a zone blitz. maybin could easily transition to OLB in a 3-4 with majority of the emphasis on rushing the passer from a variety of surprise locations.

and tebow could easily take a snap under center...as a former high school QB, those of you who comment on the shortcomings of Tebow regarding "under center" and "reading coverages" are totally off base. he is 6'3" 235, smart, athletic...he could easily LEARN to take snaps under center....he could easily LEARN to read coverages....THE QUESTION IS CAN HE QUICKEN THE RELEASE. IF HE CAN, AND KEEP SOME ZIP AND ACCURACY, HE IS JIM KELLY....IF NOT, HE IS AN OLB IN A 3-4 OR TIGHT END....MY GUESS IS THEY SHORTEN THE RELEASE AND HE IS A PRO BOWL QB ULTIMATELY.

link? and.....by the way....that is some quality "talent" in that avatar of yours

Agree with the talent. is that a girl you know or just some random internet pic? If you have names I would love to tap into the google search for more images of her. lol

MCCLAIN TO ME IS MORE LIKE URLACHER ,,,,, NOT BENNETT..

MAYBIN AND POZ TO OLB...... MCCLAIN I S THE GUY FOR MLB..SCHOBEL A PASS RUSHER AT OLB ON 2ND AND 3 AND LONG..

FA ,,,,,, SEYMORE AND KAMPMAN ,,,,, WHY CHANGE TO 3-4

Not all scouts are high on Rolando McClain. Sporting News War Room isn't sure he is even a 1st round pick.

Georgia's Techs 6'-4", 270 lbs. DE Derrick Morgan finished the 2009 campaign with 55 tackles, 18.5 tackles-for-loss and 12.5 sacks.

The Kids a gamer ...

Morgan got manhandled by Bulaga when they played IOWA. Dunno if that means everything, but it does mean something.

Not all scouts are high on Rolando McClain. Sporting News War Room isn't sure he is even a 1st round pick.

I wrote about that in another post, no one really responded. The game or two of him I saw this year he was pretty good and really recognized plays well, but he was also heavy footed. In years past he was way way worse, so I feel he is improving, which makes sense as he is 6'4'', 260lbs, and 21 years old. I bet as he grows into his frame athletically and he will be very dominant, but I wouldnt be surprised to see him fall just like Maleuga. At this time last year a lot of the board wanted him at 11, and he ended up a 2nd rounder. I think he is worth more than that.

Morgan got manhandled by Bulaga when they played IOWA. Dunno if that means everything, but it does mean something.

Thats my first choice at 9. Okung is gone and Beluga is the best run blocker of all the Ts. Hopefully we can trade back, get some additional picks, then draft Beluga and trade back into rd one for Iupati. I would give Nix an HJ if he got that done.

and for those suggesting Schobel plays a true outside LB, you are out of your mind. he would simply be a rush end effectively and a DE on 1st and 2nd down. he is not covering anybody except maybe on the odd RB on a zone blitz. maybin could easily transition to OLB in a 3-4 with majority of the emphasis on rushing the passer from a variety of surprise locations.

and tebow could easily take a snap under center...as a former high school QB, those of you who comment on the shortcomings of Tebow regarding "under center" and "reading coverages" are totally off base. he is 6'3" 235, smart, athletic...he could easily LEARN to take snaps under center....he could easily LEARN to read coverages....THE QUESTION IS CAN HE QUICKEN THE RELEASE. IF HE CAN, AND KEEP SOME ZIP AND ACCURACY, HE IS JIM KELLY....IF NOT, HE IS AN OLB IN A 3-4 OR TIGHT END....MY GUESS IS THEY SHORTEN THE RELEASE AND HE IS A PRO BOWL QB ULTIMATELY.

This has not actually been the experience with Schobel who actually proved to be such a good athlete that the oddest usage of him in pass coverage in the zone blitz was not simply him covering the odd RB, but he even from time to time took the responsibility of covering the odd WR in the short and even the middle zone.

The problem with Schobel have actually been ones of an inability of the coaches to control him (the FO likely was not pleased when he pulled a Jason Peters even before Peters did and sat out all the voluntary practices and demanded a new contract even though he had several well paid years left on it- The FO caved but seemed to swear they would never do that again and Peters ran out of townas the Bills held tough to get exactly the deal he wanted).

He also talked the post Jerry Gray coaches to let him keep the weight off he shed to run the zone blitz and he continued to be used often in pass coverage despite big Bills problems with the run.

A switch to the 3-4 might be just what Schobel wants and may end the retirement talk if he gets to shed weight like he wants and play OLB.

As far as Tebow I doubt that a small but noisy portion of Bills fan and I am quite sure the media will not give Tebow the time that even Tebow rooters like yourself acknowledge he will need to do things like shorten his release. If Tebow comes here and folks routinely throw the specter of Jim Kelly around that this is who he is the expectation that he will win immediately will come with it. Unless Tebow hits the ground running (and passing quickly he also will get run out of town.

This is particularly true when the real measure folks will use is putting up Ws. If we spend the 1st rounder we would likely need to spend to get Tebow then this means we do not get either one of the two talented OLBs we need to run the 3-4 (do you really want to go into next season with either Scott or Draft as either of your OLB starters (or maybe both) if they do not use their first round pick to strengthen the LBs.

I agree with you that likely Tebow will be very good one day. However, I think it is a better strategy to wait and get him in the next go round after the city with sky high expectations gets disappointed when like a normal player he needs time to develop into an NFL QB. It happened to Farve, to Steve Young and most recently to Drew Brees.

How high do you think expectations on Tebow will be and unless he lucks into a situation like RoboQB in Pitts where he joined an SB ready team my sense is he ends up making a stop before he delivers an SB. No one is mistaking Lee Evans for Hines Ward or Whitner for Polamalu and the Bills are a long ways away from allowing a Tebow to develop and not get savaged by the local media and a few loud and noisy fans.