Toyota Suspends Sales

Hope nobody drives none of these models.

Toyota probably wishes there was a robust American/domestic car market now... Then they could fly under the radar again (like their sludge bucket engines the last 12 years).

Rice burners fall victim

Sucks not having a whipping boy around!

The sales suspension includes the 2007-2010 Camry and Tundra; the 2009-2010 RAV4, Corolla and Matrix; the 2005-2010 Avalon; the 2010 Highlander; and the 2008-2010 Sequoia.

Shares in the carmaker fell 2% on Japan's Nikkei index after the announcement.

Suspending sales of eight popular models is a big risk for the world's biggest carmaker, analysts said.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you notice that with one exception they're built in the U.S.

Doesn't matter, good as being built outside the US... What are you saying? It is American labor that is making the problem? :thumbsup: Anyway, probably all down south and non-union... So they are as good as being built in a foreign country.

So double whammy on your part... :doh:

Toyota still gotta play the US whipping boy angle: US parts suppliers. They know no shame.

This will suck in the short term for Toyota. Hurting their sales but at least they are taking action to address this potentially serious problem. It should be noted that this wasn't ordered by the NTSB. Could you see Detroit doing this?

Doesn't matter, good as being built outside the US... What are you saying? It is American labor that is making the problem? :thumbsup: Anyway, probably all down south and non-union... So they are as good as being built in a foreign country.

So double whammy on your part... :doh:

Toyota still gotta play the US whipping boy angle: US parts suppliers. They know no shame.

Who was the engineer that designed whatever they figure out is wrong? Japanese or American? I'm guessing Japanese.

Who was the engineer that designed whatever they figure out is wrong? Japanese or American? I'm guessing Japanese.

That is what I am thinking... Just busting humps... I always contended without a big domestic market, foreign makers would start to have to be accountable more (increased sales, increased problems)... Just that they can't fly under the radar or have a whipping boy to hit. Still, you see Toyota blaming the US part suppliers. Maybe they should have organized under increased UAW pressure... Then they could have blamed them.

Oh... And you will start seeing more and more foreign makers cars being pushed to the limit more with high milelage.

Companies like Toyota always seemed to have swept their problems under the rug.. Not so much now.

This will suck in the short term for Toyota. Hurting their sales but at least they are taking action to address this potentially serious problem. It should be noted that this wasn't ordered by the NTSB. Could you see Detroit doing this?

Possibly. And it should be noted most recalls are NOT ordered by the NTSB.

As for Toyota taking action, they have no choice. They have been trying to bury this problem for a while, and it keeps popping up to bite them in the ass.

Ya. True. If one has a sludge bucket engiine from 1999, then they are SOL. They have to take action, people are dieing. If people weren't dieing, it would sure to be buried under positive PR.

Possibly. And it should be noted most recalls are NOT ordered by the NTSB.

As for Toyota taking action, they have no choice. They have been trying to bury this problem for a while, and it keeps popping up to bite them in the ass.

That used to be their SOP. Not no more I guess.

Watch, they will start to blame driver error or something:

My 1998 Rodeo (Isuzu) had acceleration problems, they recalled (reluctantly) the pedal and put a new one on. I noticed part of the problem originally was the pedal was to close to the brake and if one toe-heeled, while depressing the brake at a stop, your foot could hit the gas pedal... I learned real quickly not to toe-heel in that ride! Must have been my fat American foot. My wife never had that problem, even with the OEM pedal. :thumbsup:

yep i happen to own an 09 Corolla..... not really happy at the moment :thumbsup:

I haven't read too much more... What do they expect you to do?

On a more serious note... There are some evasive driving tips I suppose one can do... The scary part is with all the computers... I think I heard one say they had a hard time shutting a vehicle down or something (jamming the gearshift) while in a situation.

Good luck and be safe!

Ya. True. If one has a sludge bucket engiine from 1999, then they are SOL. They have to take action, people are dieing. If people weren't dieing, it would sure to be buried under positive PR.

The Toyota oil sludge settlement... Toyota fought it for years, blaming owners. It was several model years, not just MY99. Something like 4 million vehicles affected, if memory serves.

IIRC, the problem came about because Toyota engineers narrowed block and head cooling passages to raise transient combustion chamber temperatures in the interest of more complete fuel/air charge burn. That raised the overall cylinder head temperature over time, and they failed to account for the fact that there is always some motor oil pooling in the nooks and crannies in the top surfaces of a head. So it got fried and turned into clots, which eventually circulated.

They made a fundamental mistake - you address head drainage/cooling when you raise head temps. That's pretty much Motor Design 101 stuff...

Re this sticking throttle problem: Will CBS's "60 Minutes" have a feature, like they did with the Audi 5000 years ago (unintended acceleration - turned out to be operator error, but CBS saw fit to jury rig an Audi for their show), or the GM pick-up gas tank problem (they put pyrotechnic devices that would explode when they staged a crash, to insure that the truck went up in flames)?

Nah. :thumbsup:

Edited by stuckincincy

The Toyota oil sludge settlement... Toyota fought it for years, blaming owners. It was several model years, not just MY99. Something like 4 million vehicles affected, if memory serves.

I have a '99 Camry, and I never heard about the engine issue until I received a letter in the mail from Toyota saying that they were extending the engine warranty to 200,000 miles. Works for me.

I'm at ~140,000 and haven't had an issue with the car yet *knock on wood*

Hope nobody drives none of these models.

Toyota probably wishes there was a robust American/domestic car market now... Then they could fly under the radar again (like their sludge bucket engines the last 12 years).

Rice burners fall victim

Sucks not having a whipping boy around!

The sales suspension includes the 2007-2010 Camry and Tundra; the 2009-2010 RAV4, Corolla and Matrix; the 2005-2010 Avalon; the 2010 Highlander; and the 2008-2010 Sequoia.

Shares in the carmaker fell 2% on Japan's Nikkei index after the announcement.

Suspending sales of eight popular models is a big risk for the world's biggest carmaker, analysts said.

I always though the RAV4 had problems with the accellerator pedal. I've never seen anyone driving one even approach doing the speed limit.

I always though the RAV4 had problems with the accellerator pedal. I've never seen anyone driving one even approach doing the speed limit.

The accelerator on my 2008 RAV4 V6 Sport works just fine. One might even call it "peppy".

IIRC, the problem came about because Toyota engineers narrowed block and head cooling passages to raise transient combustion chamber temperatures in the interest of more complete fuel/air charge burn. That raised the overall cylinder head temperature over time, and they failed to account for the fact that there is always some motor oil pooling in the nooks and crannies in the top surfaces of a head. So it got fried and turned into clots, which eventually circulated.

They made a fundamental mistake - you address head drainage/cooling when you raise head temps. That's pretty much Motor Design 101 stuff...

Re this sticking throttle problem: Will CBS's "60 Minutes" have a feature, like they did with the Audi 5000 years ago (unintended acceleration - turned out to be operator error, but CBS saw fit to jury rig an Audi for their show), or the GM pick-up gas tank problem (they put pyrotechnic devices that would explode when they staged a crash, to insure that the truck went up in flames)?

Nah. :thumbsup:

IIRC, I thought NBC got busted with the GM gas tank brooha.

That used to be their SOP. Not no more I guess.

Watch, they will start to blame driver error or something:

Actually, they already tried that. Then they tried blaming the floor mats. Take out the floor mats, problem still happens.

:beer:

My 1998 Rodeo (Isuzu) had acceleration problems, they recalled (reluctantly) the pedal and put a new one on. I noticed part of the problem originally was the pedal was to close to the brake and if one toe-heeled, while depressing the brake at a stop, your foot could hit the gas pedal... I learned real quickly not to toe-heel in that ride! Must have been my fat American foot. My wife never had that problem, even with the OEM pedal. :thumbsup: