Bills Now Having Trouble Finding DC

box0life

Hard to believe that they hired Gailey without him having a Defensive Coordinator lined up. I don't see any real good quality DC's available which could be real problem next year. If he is struggling to find a DC, this defense will probably regress next year.

Don't you go into an interview for head coach basically having a coaching staff lined up. How did Gailey win this coaching job without a staff picked out?

Jeff Quinn of the Bulls had a staff basically set within less than a week of being given the job.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to believe that they hired Gailey without him having a Defensive Coordinator lined up. I don't see any real good quality DC's available which could be real problem next year. If he is struggling to find a DC, this defense will probably regress next year.

Don't you go into an interview for head coach basically having a coaching staff lined up. How did Gailey win this coaching job without a staff picked out?

Jeff Quinn of the Bulls had a staff basically set within less than a week of being given the job.

Nolan, Lewis and Pees were all candidates, but signed elsewhere.

Next up, Jim Bates. He and Gailey have a long history together...he will get the job. Which, in the end, would probably be best for us based on the personnel we have and the defensive scheme he likes to run.

Or, it will be Clancy Pendergast whom assembled and coached an Arizona Cardinals defense that played in the Super Bowl.

Either way, we will be fine!

New coaches do not generally have their staffs lined up before they are hired. The only way that they could possibly

do that would be to have lined up other unemployed assistants. They can't legally contact coaches on other staffs and.

even if they could, who would quit a secured job to join the staff of some head coach who didn't have a job at that

point?

And you're point is?

Not a big Fewell Fan here...Not by a LONG, long shot... :death:

My point is that Fewell never led a defense to a Super Bowl...nor, has he had the success and experience that either of those 2 had. I DO like Fewell, I was just pointing out that these 2 guys are not push-overs.

However, I just saw somewhere that Pendergast is staying with the Chiefs as a positional coach.

So, that brings us back to Jim Bates. He has coached some decent defenses and his players all like to play for him. He is a tough, no non-sense teacher of the fundamentals of the game...something Gailey and Nix are looking for.

Plus, he runs a 4-3 base scheme. That means we could work with some of the players we have, and not overhaul the whole roster. Going to a 3-4 and trying to get the personnel for that, would take 2-3, maybe 4, years.

Jim Bates is our best, and safest, bet in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bates_%28...can_football%29

My point is that Fewell never led a defense to a Super Bowl...nor, has he had the success and experience that either of those 2 had. I DO like Fewell, I was just pointing out that these 2 guys are not push-overs.

However, I just saw somewhere that Pendergast is staying with the Chiefs as a positional coach.

So, that brings us back to Jim Bates. He has coached some decent defenses and his players all like to play for him. He is a tough, no non-sense teacher of the fundamentals of the game...something Gailey and Nix are looking for.

Plus, he runs a 4-3 base scheme. That means we could work with some of the players we have, and not overhaul the whole roster. Going to a 3-4 and trying to get the personnel for that, would take 2-3, maybe 4, years.

Jim Bates is our best, and safest, bet in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bates_%28...can_football%29

From the wikipedia link - "He primarily runs a 4-3 scheme, using fast, undersized linebackers"

He just lost 90% of the Bills fans that read that sentence. :death:

No one had a clue that we would hire Gailey. I won't assume I know who they're talking to now either. They'll go through their process and come out with their guy. Even if quality candidates are nabbed from underneath their nose like some of the other candidates have recently.

I am not surprised we haven't signed anyone yet. There is no hurry at this point. Also, with the Senior Bowl starting this week, every coach in the world will be in Mobile. This will give Gailey a chance to meet with potential candidates in person. Id say look till after this weekend for a hire.

Nolan, Lewis and Pees were all candidates, but signed elsewhere.

Next up, Jim Bates. He and Gailey have a long history together...he will get the job. Which, in the end, would probably be best for us based on the personnel we have and the defensive scheme he likes to run.

Or, it will be Clancy Pendergast whom assembled and coached an Arizona Cardinals defense that played in the Super Bowl.

Either way, we will be fine!

You mean the DB coach at Georgia Tech isn't interested in the job?