Please Buddy RE: Modrak

abqmarko

I'm actually cool with Modrak. I suspect that many of the misses that have occurred over the years (especially the first round blunders) were NOT his fault.

Get outta here with this. All of a sudden ole' Modrak should stay? Because people somehow believe the past 10 years all the picks he wanted went on deaf ears? Guy was dealing with the same "inner circle". He could easily come out and say next week that the "inner circle" didn't take his suggestions because they were too expensive or whatever. BOTH of them need to go. PERIOD. Modrak isn't the only well respected scout in the world people. See Buddy Nix. I don't get the logic of folks thinking Guy was wheeling and dealing on his own without reporting to the inner circle and Modrak was somehow tied down by them. They need to change the energy up in that building and Modrak should be out the door too.

The difference is he is the HEAD Scout, and has been the HEAD scout for TEN straight losing years. He should be compiling info and working hand in hand with Buddy in Buffalo, not via conference calls. If we had a great, or even competitive team, maybe I'd listen to you. But the ten years of drafting crap we've been through is ridiculous. If the guy wont move then he has no commitment to the team anyway. Plus Western NY isnt exactely thriving financially, I'd rather see the money he makes spent in Western NY and not Jacksonville FL.

Who cares where he lives? Whatever questions there are about the Bills, and there are many, it's not even a question whether Modrak's address affects our won-lost record.

Fire him or not (look at his recommendations, rather than at who we drafted. If his recommendations were bad, fire him. If his recommendations were good, keep him) but nobody cares where he lives.

The difference is he is the HEAD Scout, and has been the HEAD scout for TEN straight losing years. He should be compiling info and working hand in hand with Buddy in Buffalo, not via conference calls. If we had a great, or even competitive team, maybe I'd listen to you. But the ten years of drafting crap we've been through is ridiculous. If the guy wont move then he has no commitment to the team anyway. Plus Western NY isnt exactely thriving financially, I'd rather see the money he makes spent in Western NY and not Jacksonville FL.

some of the worst rationalization to try and support a flawed concept i have ever read - laughable actually

I'm sure Modrak has told Nix about all the times he's been ignored by Wilson/etc. Nix probably has a good handle on what Modrak brings to the table.

PTR

Sorry I didn't put my thoughts into the post very well. I meant to say IF Nix is going to fire Modrak, I don't know if it will be now or after the draft.

I agree with you that with Nix being around last year he should have a good handle on Modrak's contributions. Nix may need Modrak through this draft, I have to think that it would be difficult to replace that position in time to fully prepare for the draft since Modrak wasn't shown the door with Guy.

But like I said, I think they may work well together because Buddy will come over the top of Modrak's rankings and move some players around on their board because of his beliefs. It will be nice to have that check on the scouting department.

Modrak won't be fired until after the draft.

Ditto, Modrak should be on a shorter leash under Nix. The draft is coming up in a few short months, his information complied will be crucial to this draft, after that maybe he gets the pink slip.

Buddy will now put his stamp on draft choices, but hopefully he will have the final say as i feel..

I understand the sentiment that the Blls have been bad for a very long time and therefore it must be Tom Modrak's fault.

However, I've been a draft fanatic for 20+ years and that has allowed me to gain the perspective that:

1. it isn''t always the scouts problem.

2. the team's needs often dictate reaching for players

3. the coaches, who haven't scouted the players often get final say

4. THE DRAFT IS A CRAPSHOOT ANYWAY. Many many picks that look great on draft day go in the

crapper.

Modrak's draft record is actually pretty good. Now, they haven't addressed the OL until last year. Do you

think that is because Modrak didn't scout any OLmen? They didn't hit on JP Losman - do you think no other

team would have taken him at about the same spot? And, do you think that his flameout had nothing to do with the

coaching he received and the talent (or lack of) around him?

Just my opinion, but Modrak has a pretty decent record drafoting and you can't blame him for all of the choices.

Given the reality that there are always a lot of draft busts, I think he's done fine.

If this is true (how can we know?), then hopefully Modrak stays and his input is given consideration in the future.

I was reported in a recent news article. First Buddy said he did not favor one years wonders (reference to Maybin, and also said that Modrak was pushing for Cushing.

We need to have Nix stand up and be accountable for the draft, just like Donahoe was, and Butler before that, and Polian before that. There is no one to blame since Donohoe left because no one was fully responsible for running the football side of the business at OBD.

The facts are that the Bills have been losers the last 10 years-the two consistent employees are Modrak and Guy-half of the equation is already gone in GUY the other half is Modrak. I guess you must have some insde information that Modraks has been doing a great job and that he recommended all the guys we missed on picking and didnt have anything to do with the bad picks. Lets see if Buddy fires Modrak tomorrow and see what you say. And if you have anything that supports your statement that his "superiors ignored his recommendations" lets hear it.

Wilson says Modrak wanted Cutler: http://www.wgr550.com/Jauron-is--safe-/3545456

http://audio.wgr550.com/m/audio/21707187/t...-simon-show.htm

Can't find it on the Buffalo News site anymore, but in the 1/11 Live Chat with Allen Wilson, Wilson said Modrak had wanted Cushing over Maybin.

These have been discussed extensively on these boards.

Nucci said this:

Nix will not fire Modrak. Modrak is the person who brought Nix back to Buffalo last year.

Then you two replied:

????????

Where did you get this nonsense from?

That's not what I heard. :rolleyes:

PostyLinky

So your link is to another poster's opinion, 4BILLSINTHEBURGH? Wow! That's quite an authority.

I'll tell you what. Let's have a little bet. $10 to the Ball Burglars. If I can provide a link to a story from a legitimate newspaper or website proving that Modrak brought in Nix, you pay the $10. If I can't, I'll pay the $10. The Burglars are a great charity, so this way charity wins either way. I'll bet each of you $10 to the Ball Burglars. If you don't like the Ball Burglars, we could make it the United Way or the American Cancer Society.

What do you say? Put up or shut up, 4BILLSINTHEBURGH and RED.

Get outta here with this. All of a sudden ole' Modrak should stay? Because people somehow believe the past 10 years all the picks he wanted went on deaf ears? Guy was dealing with the same "inner circle". He could easily come out and say next week that the "inner circle" didn't take his suggestions because they were too expensive or whatever. BOTH of them need to go. PERIOD. Modrak isn't the only well respected scout in the world people. See Buddy Nix. I don't get the logic of folks thinking Guy was wheeling and dealing on his own without reporting to the inner circle and Modrak was somehow tied down by them. They need to change the energy up in that building and Modrak should be out the door too.

Guy already has said this, a week or two ago. And in fact, Ralph Wilson has backed Modrak up on wanting Cutler the year we took Whitner.

But the point isn't whether they said this. The point is whether they are effective at their job.

They need to change the energy? Really? Get some crystals. Put up some pyramids. Lava lamps. Whatever. And after you have finished changing the energy, look back at the records. It is undoubtedly on paper exactly what recommendations Modrak made. If he has made great recommendations, then keep him, because he's excellent at his job. If he has made crappy recommendations, fire him because he is bad at his job.

It's as simple as that. And Nix knows it. So if Modrak stays, as I think he will, it will mean that he in fact was overruled by the inner circle.

I'd like to see Nix and Modrak (The grumpy boys) stick together at this point. I have to assume that Buddy saw enough over the last year to be able to assess Modrak, although I don't know if he would can him now or after the draft.

He's not going to fire Modrak. Modrak is his friend, campaigned for him to get the Bills scouting job and therefore is partially responsible for Buddy's success in being given a high ranking position within the organization. There is virtually no chance Buddy would dump Modrak, unless he gets a call from Wilson about it.