Peter King Chimes in on Gailey Hire ...

CosmicBills

Gailey's "conservative" offense:

In Pittsburgh was 7th and 11th in points, with Tomczak and Kordell at QB. The season after he left, they were 28th.

In Dallas was 9th and 11th in points. The season before he took over, 22nd. The season after he left, 23rd.

In Miami they were 16th and 11th in points with Jay friggin' Fiedler at QB and Oronde Gadsden as their number 1 WR.

Buffalo's HIGHEST ranking in points in the last SIX seasons is TWENTY THIRD.

:blink:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yup. Base offense stunk, so he put Thigpen in the spread. Glad somebody finally mentioned that.

Must be King missed that memo.

I remember them putting up about 500 yards on our "defense" in Kansas City. The biggest reason we won that game was turnovers - which was pretty much the only way we even slowed them down. I remember thinking: "Who the hell is Tyler Thigpen?"

Looks like the subjects and predicates are all in order. How is it not in English? Lets see if I can make it simpler for you.

Essentially his offense even in the late 90's were too conservative. The reference to Barry Switzer was to the coach prior to Gailey. Since he was head coach the league has moved more and more to spread wide open offenses.

From the statement comes the possible conclusion that maybe Gailey's conservative philosophy would be even more out of place in today's NFL. Which, come to think of it, might be the reason that NO ONE ELSE HAS HIRED HIM as a head coach in the last eleven years.

I'll gladly take the throwback offense if it comes with them real sharp throwback unis. :blink:

WOW...I stand corrected. We were so much wiser than all of those teams since 1999 that ailed to hire him as head coach. Wait a second...didn't we hire Greggo, Mularkey, and Jauron over him? Didn't most everyone else who had an opening pass on him? Didn't he get freakin FIRED at Kansas City? This is the most misunderstood guy in the history of the NFL. Good thing we have two sharp top of their game guys like Ralph and Buddy with nearly 165 years experience between them to recognize the best of all coaching candidates.

Didn't he get freakin FIRED at Kansas City?

any argument you make is undermined when you include stuff like this. if you don't know why he was fired in KC then you probably have no idea about anything else you have written about him.

Gailey's "conservative" offense:

In Pittsburgh was 7th and 11th in points, with Tomczak and Kordell at QB. The season after he left, they were 28th.

In Dallas was 9th and 11th in points. The season before he took over, 22nd. The season after he left, 23rd.

In Miami they were 16th and 11th in points with Jay friggin' Fiedler at QB and Oronde Gadsden as their number 1 WR.

Buffalo's HIGHEST ranking in points in the last SIX seasons is TWENTY THIRD.

You mentioned points and yardage rankings for every team except Miami. To fill it in, they were 26th and 21st in yardage (out of 31 teams) the two years he was there. In 2000, the year they finished 26th, the D led the league in INTs, which may have inflated the point totals.

Mike Mularkey's Steelers offense finished 3rd and 5th in the NFL, and 6th in offense his first year in Atlanta. The Bills really should have looked at him.

Cam Cameron was an offensive genius in San Diego, and helped turn around Baltimore's offense with the young Joe Flaco at QB. The Bills really should have looked at him.

Kevin Gilbride has had tremendous success in the NFL for many teams, including a highly productive year in Buffalo with Drew Bledsoe at the helm, and a Super bowl winning offense in New York just two years ago. The Bills really should have looked at him.

Mike Mularkey's Steelers offense finished 3rd and 5th in the NFL, and 6th in offense his first year in Atlanta. The Bills really should have looked at him.

Cam Cameron was an offensive genius in San Diego, and helped turn around Baltimore's offense with the young Joe Flaco at QB. The Bills really should have looked at him.

Kevin Gilbride has had tremendous success in the NFL for many teams, including a highly productive year in Buffalo with Drew Bledsoe at the helm, and a Super bowl winning offense in New York just two years ago. The Bills really should have looked at him.

Yep, I agree, you can make anybody look good with enough resume fluff and a few parlor tricks...

I didn't see this posted anywhere, forgive me if I missed it.

King isn't a fan of the hire (shocker!) ...

The only thing that concerns me, because I don't know much about Chan, is this quote:

"The Cowboy incumbents hate Gailey's more conservative offense that he installed post-Switzer in 1998. If it was too conservative then, what is it with the widespread spread offenses 12 years later?"

he wasnt working with much at the time either. aikman was mobile as a statue, irvin and smith were slowing down and the line wasn't getting away with murder anymore. it was a transitional period for the cowboys no matter who coached them

any argument you make is undermined when you include stuff like this. if you don't know why he was fired in KC then you probably have no idea about anything else you have written about him.

Are you saying he didn't get freaking fired in Kansas City? Look at the record. He was a head coach at Dallas ..got fired and nobody has hired him as a head coach in the decade that followed. You all are making such a big thing about his work at Kansas City (I missed their superbowl play that year and Tyler Thigpen going to the pro-bowl.) I wish him success, but I'm not seeing him as any great find, nor do I see him as the guy who can turn the team around. I had pretty much the same reservations about DJ but held my fire for a few years to see what he could do. I am not in the mood to hail this appointment. If CG goes out and takes us to the playoffs I'll jump right onto his bandwagon..but I don't have a lot of hope for that happening.

the wrap on Gailey over the years is that he adjusts the offense to make it capable of doing what it can do to win games. If the pieces stink, he goes conservative. If they're good, he opens it up. If you can run, you run. If you can only pass, you mainly just pass.

Are you saying we might have a coach that evaluates the strengths and weaknesses of his players then develops a scheme/gameplan that emphasizes the strengths and avoids the weaknesses? Wow. Maybe there is hope?

he wasnt working with much at the time either. aikman was mobile as a statue, irvin and smith were slowing down and the line wasn't getting away with murder anymore. it was a transitional period for the cowboys no matter who coached them

indeed. it was Aikman's last two seasons in the league and he was on concussion...what... 15? made the playoffs both seasons though.

Gailey's offense has done well everywhere he's been. He's gotten production out of garbage (see the Jay Fiedler and Lamar Smith Miami teams, and the Tyler Thigpen Chiefs last year) and has excelled when given good talent - see late 80s Broncos and 90s Steelers.

Herm Edwards brought Gailey in as offensive coordinator last season, after Gailey was let go as head coach of Georgia Tech. With the Chiefs in 2008, Gailey took an offense that had been miserable in 2007 and made it slightly less anemic -- K.C. went from 31st in points scored in '07 to 26th overall in '08.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/08/31/todd-ha...ve-coordinator/

I'm not seeing a lot of appreciation for the guy. Maybe he can make our offense "slightly less anemic" SDS..is there something about that firing I'm not seeing?

Look at the record. He was a head coach at Dallas ..got fired and nobody has hired him as a head coach in the decade that followed.

except Georgia Tech

also Schefter tweeted yesterday: "Two teams said they considered hiring Chan Gailey last year, but questioned "sizzle" factor with fans. Great coach, but not popular w/ fans."

You mentioned points and yardage rankings for every team except Miami. To fill it in, they were 26th and 21st in yardage (out of 31 teams) the two years he was there. In 2000, the year they finished 26th, the D led the league in INTs, which may have inflated the point totals.

I didn't mention yardage rankings at all, not that it matters. The fact is, Gailey's offenses have been productive despite what are OBVIOUS shortcomings in talent - especially at the QB position.

In Miami, his "star" was "I don't want to play football, I want to smoke pot" Ricky Williams. That team was certainly led by their defense (it seems in this day and age every team has one side that is superior to the other. Well, except the BILLS who are mediocre on both sides of the ball). That doesn't change anything, really.

I don't know if Gailey is a good HC or not but I do know he's been a very good OC in the NFL pretty much everywhere he's been. I also remember thinking that Jerry Jones firing him was ridiculous.