Peter King Chimes in on Gailey Hire ...

CosmicBills

I don't think there's a conspiracy. But TD was with ESPN before he came to Buffalo and likely had some friends there. After he got fired, guys like Mort took shots at the Bill's as I think TD took a beatign here with fans etc. Likely the Bills got a bit ticked at Mort takign shots at them, so they took these guys off their Christmas card list; i.e. didn't make their job easy, give them great easy access to team, etc. So then the media took it up another level and Bills responded in kind. Things have just escalated. Same thing at WGR. The dope said some things the Bills didn't feel were fair, so they hit the ignore button when he'd call. So then the Dope took it up a notch.

why do you believe all the sports media conspires against the Bills?

And ironically it just "appears" they are an absolute train wreck of an organization, and the only defense of the organization comes from itself and its loyal fans who lap up everything they spin out there

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see this posted anywhere, forgive me if I missed it.

King isn't a fan of the hire (shocker!) ...

The only thing that concerns me, because I don't know much about Chan, is this quote:

"The Cowboy incumbents hate Gailey's more conservative offense that he installed post-Switzer in 1998. If it was too conservative then, what is it with the widespread spread offenses 12 years later?"

King is way off base. Gailey adjusts offenses to the players he has. Using Kordell STewart as "slash" in Pittsburgh was not conservative, in fact it was the start of today's "wildcat" craze.

The only thing that concerns me, because I don't know much about Chan, is this quote:

"The Cowboy incumbents hate Gailey's more conservative offense that he installed post-Switzer in 1998. If it was too conservative then, what is it with the widespread spread offenses 12 years later?"

Well, you left out quite a bit. King finished with some good points to ponder:

4. Now for something positive. Gailey deserved better than getting fired after inheriting a 6-10 team and leading an aging, set-in their-ways, rich cast of players (including some me-first guys like Emmitt Smith and Deion Sanders) to two straight playoff appearances and an 18-16 record.

Early this season, when the vultures were circling around Wade Phillips in Dallas, owner Jerry Jones said what he regretted most in his first two decades as owner was not giving Gailey more than two years. "I believe more than ever that continuity is important,'' Jones said in October, "and I'm not going to make that mistake again.''

Gailey went 10-6 in his first year, including a club-record 8-0 mark against the then-five-team NFC East, before losing in the wild-card game to Arizona. Dallas went 8-8 and made the wild-card game again the next year, losing to Minnesota. Now, Troy Aikman thought Gailey was prehistoric and should have compromised to leave some of the Ernie Zampese/Norv Turner offense in place, but Gailey's offensive broom swept clean. So before you say he failed in Dallas, I'd caution you use another word. He didn't fail. He took a team in decline and staved it off for as long as he could.

Last point: I can guarantee you one of the things that the Bills loved was Gailey's attitude about how you can win without stars in the NFL. In fact, that's the kind of team he prefers. More than once in his career, he's told coaches he worked with: "You can win the World Series without Babe Ruth.'' In Buffalo, he's going to get that chance.

anyone who criticizes the Bills is attacked. Yet the majority of people in the media are really disagreeing with most of the Bills' moves. I also doubt there is any media conspiracy against Wilson, the Bills, or the City of Buffalo.

Are you Kidding me? DO you watch many Bills games, Watch the Refs. Announcers, ESPN.. What a Joke the Bills have never gotten any love from anyone except for all of the Band Wagon Jumpers in the 90'sssss

So, as you see it, the job of the refs is to give the Bills love? That may be part what you find to be the problem.

And as for the announcers, you don't suppose that they are just calling a bad team bad, do you?

I'm sure the Ralph cares as much about your opinion as I do. Thanks for making me appear to defend Ralph, as much as I think of the guy. :thumbsup:

Actually I think he cares less about his opinion than you do and would not even reply to a letter or a bulletin board posted outside his business if posted by him.

Bowe - 80 catches for 1022 yards and 7 TDs.

Gonzalez - 96 catches for 1058 yards and 10 TDs.

Johnson averaged 4.5 yards per rush

Charles averaged 5.3 yards per rush

The NFL thought so much of Tyler Thigpen that he was signed for ONE game this season (Miami). His 18 TDs in 11 games have been exceeded only TWICE by BILLS QBs since 2003 (Bledsoe had 20 in 16 games in 2003 and Losman had 19 in 16 games in 2006). Tyler friggin' Thigpen. You have to go back to 2002 to find 2 Buffalo receivers who caught over 80 passes with 1000 yards each. Yeah, Gailey sucked.

No one knows if Gailey would have been the solution in KC. That team was/is a disaster and giving a coordinator one season to try and turn something around in the NFL is ludicrous, especially when you're starting QB at the beginning of the season is a journeyman (Damon Huard) and he loses the job to a rookie from Coastal Carolina. Add to that the 31st ranked defense in the NFL...

So yeah, Gailey got fired by Todd Hailey. Coaches get fired. ALL OF THEM. Your chances of that happening increase greatly when a new regime takes over. The Chiefs weren't any better last season and most would argue they took a step back despite making significant changes.

kc OFFENSIVE STATS 2008

Yards per game: 314.6 (#22 in NFL)[99]

Total yards in season: 4,719 (#22 in NFL)[99]

Points per game: 19.0 (#25 in NFL)[99]

Points in season: 285 (#25 in NFL)[99]

Quarterback rating:

Tyler Thigpen (11 starts) – 75.8[100]

Rushing yards in season: 1,779 (#11 in NFL)[99]

Rushing yards per game: 118.6 (#11 in NFL)[99]

Passing yards in season: 2,940 (#19 in NFL)[99]

Passing yards per game: 196.0 (#19 in NFL)[99

Remember the chiefs opened up 1 and 10. They weren't exactly on everyone's radar that last part of the season and even then their performance was, simply put, BAD. And CG was the co-ordinator. He hung out for three preseason games got a good once over by the new coach...and got fired...again. Maybe he'll be a good coach and in his experience at Dallas and at the college level seemed to be pretty good (although Dallas was a LONG time ago.) Hope he does well..just noting that there is nothing in the recent evidence to support the assumption he will. CG = DJ

who do you believe or consider better qualified to speak about Galieys qualities. King or dan reeves and cowher.

both coaches raved how great an offensive mind he has and his uncanny ability to adjust to players and situations. who are you going to listen to?

king does not know jack sh-t!