Who do we bring in as a Defensive Coordinatior?

The Tomcat

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arguably the dumbest thing Donohoe did was to gut all three phases of the team at once. The Bills still haven't recovered from that. To convert the Bills defense to the 34 or even 43 would mean gutting the defensive roster as this team is built for the Tampa Two. So I wouldn't expect to see more than minor changes on the defensive side this year while Nix and Gailey focus heavily on the offense. If Edwards is salvageable (and he might be), if Brohm is as good as Mike McCarthy privately claims, then Gailey's background suggests he will get the most out of them. If they truly are no good, he will bring in a good-enough veteran for a year or two while grooming the QB(s) the Bills will draft to replace Edwards and Brohm. Next year will be the soonest the defense gets its "home improvement makeover."

Arguably the dumbest thing Donohoe did was to gut all three phases of the team at once. The Bills still haven't recovered from that. To convert the Bills defense to the 34 or even 43 would mean gutting the defensive roster as this team is built for the Tampa Two. So I wouldn't expect to see more than minor changes on the defensive side this year while Nix and Gailey focus heavily on the offense. If Edwards is salvageable (and he might be), if Brohm is as good as Mike McCarthy privately claims, then Gailey's background suggests he will get the most out of them. If they truly are no good, he will bring in a good-enough veteran for a year or two while grooming the QB(s) the Bills will draft to replace Edwards and Brohm. Next year will be the soonest the defense gets its "home improvement makeover."

You can run a tampa-2 from both a 4-3 and a 3-4. "Tampa-2" simply means two deep zone as your base D. Nothing would have to be "gutted" to make the conversion to a 3-4, but we don't have enough quality linebackers or monster NT to make a 3-4 work right now. The fact that we run "tampa-2" has nothing to do with it.

Bates was let go from Tampa and that is what turned the team around to win 3 straight. His defense was AWFUL here in Tampa. He was very much of the "I don't care if it is a square peg, I'm putting it in this round hole." In other words he has his defense and doesn't care if the players are designed for it. It was 4-3

Says Bates in Tampa. Wouldn't Bills have to get permission to discuss position with someone for a lateral move? How about finding out what potential DC's are available or what lower level D coach would make a good DC.

Jim Bates was DEMOTED back in november by Raheem Morris. He was totally released today.

here is an UPDATED 2010 top defensive coordinator list:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/0...ve-coordinators

Whomever the new DC is, he will have full reign over the D. I think this is very attractive for a DC'r.

So who is out there? Ted Cotrell would be nice.

The Dolphins snagged Mike Nolan for their DC- He would have been nice.

Walt Corey. (Ralph knows him) :thumbsup:

I don't have a name but hopefully he wants to run a defense like the Jets. In the 5 or 6 games of 2008 we blitzed like crazy and it worked. Anyone remember Mitchell getting that game sealing pick against the Chargers because Rivers was under so much pressure. We blitzed the peejeebers out of Seattle and poor Matt Hasselback couldn't do anything. Trent gets most of the credit for that winning streak, but I give a lot of credit to that attacking blitzing defense. Also remember the crazy blitzing stuff they did for 3 1/2 quarters against Dallas. P

Put some serious heat on the QBs and it will rain picks in our backfield with Byrd and Wilson and McKelvin and Flowers etc. back there.

Anyway, that's what I want.

here some names who are avail:

Jim Bates (Tampa)

Rob Ryan (Cle) Rex's brother

Dean Pees (N.E.) interviewed with denver

Rod Marinelli (Chi) D line coach....former head coach Det

Paul Pasqualoni (Mia)

Bob Sutton (Jets) L.B. coach

Keith Butler (Pit) L.B. coach

Al Groh ( georgia tech)

Will Muschamp (texas)

here some names who are avail:

Jim Bates (Tampa)

Rob Ryan (Cle) Rex's brother

Dean Pees (N.E.) interviewed with denver

Rod Marinelli (Chi) D line coach....former head coach Det

Paul Pasqualoni (Mia)

Bob Sutton (Jets) L.B. coach

Keith Butler (Pit) L.B. coach

Al Groh ( georgia tech)

Will Muschamp (texas)

Will Muschamp is coach in waiting at U. Texas. I doubt he'd give that up to come be a DC in Buffalo

This may be a reach, but former Buffalo rival, Bryan Cox did very well at DL coach for Cleveland. I think he has the leadership skills to be a future head coach. I wouldn't mind giving him a try

I loved to hate that guy. Back when Miami week ment something

Bob Sutton would be my #1 choice. Has been the jets lb coach since 2000, and worked under herm/mangini/rex ryan. Has been around a lot of different schemes, and probably has picked up tidbits about each, While coaching some steady-above average lb play with gang green over the past 9 years. He's more than ready to be a dc.