Should Gailey retain Van Pelt

RMBills

Given Chan Gailey has stated he was going to be the OC as well as head coach, should he bring back AVP as offensive assistant/QB coach? I think Alex was tossed into a tough situation after Turk was fired and working for Jauron couldn't have been easy. He seemed to do better under Fewell. Bringing him back to work under Gailey, especially given his knowlege of the personell could free Gailey up to focus on getting a qualified DC.

Thoughts?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Given Chan Gailey has stated he was going to be the OC as well as head coach, should he bring back AVP as offensive assistant/QB coach?

Thoughts?

Unless Gailey has a college coach in mind already, that is a logical choice. This offense was not Alex's and maybe Alex learns enough to be groomed to be a true OC in the future. There were some good offensive outputs by Alex's play calling this past year.

I also think Lester will be back and maybe Sanders. I wish April was still around also.

GO BILLS, draft well please!!!!!!!

i'd be fine with avp as well.

what was he going to do when the bills offered him the oc job last year?

tell them no- i dont want to move up and gain any knowledge. no, i dont believe in the head coach. no i'll just stay the qb coach and make you guys search for a new oc AFTER THE REGULAR SEASON STARTS.

sounds to me like avp was backed into a corner.

No. Time to get all new coaching in here

I agree. Nothing against AVP, and I realize he was thrust into a difficult position last season. But, lets' face it, he has been a QB coach on the Bills staff for a few years now, and, to put it bluntly, our QB's have all pretty much sucked. Losman and Edwards never got better, and, in the case of Edwards, he actually regressed badly. What was AVP's role in that? I am not sure why there is such a love affair amongst the fan base, with this guy. He wasn't a particularly good QB for the Bills, all I can figure is that he is the only link to the Kelly era Bills (albeit the declining years)...

Given Chan Gailey has stated he was going to be the OC as well as head coach, should he bring back AVP as offensive assistant/QB coach? I think Alex was tossed into a tough situation after Turk was fired and working for Jauron couldn't have been easy. He seemed to do better under Fewell. Bringing him back to work under Gailey, especially given his knowlege of the personell could free Gailey up to focus on getting a qualified DC.

Thoughts?

If they bring back AVP, then what good would that "house cleaning" of the Bills organization do? Might as well bring back Modrak and Guy.... :blink:

Oh wait, they didn't clean house, they just cleaned up the yard...

All kidding aside, i really think AVP is a smart guy. It's so hard to tell how bad his hands were tied because of DJ, injuries, and weak QB play. I would like to see him get an interview for the position, but I just don't know if he's ready for OC yet.