NFLN's take

Heitz

The move left the league scratching their heads and that Frazier would have taken the job had it been offered to him.

He went on to say the Bills could have hired Gailey when they fired Schonert. Also said they could have given Frazier or Fewell the job and brought Gailey in as OC.

In the first comment it seems to me he's ignoring the regime change that's taken place in Buffalo. Clearly this was Buddy Nix's decision - he was in charge of this hiring, not The Inner Circle as was when we fired Schonert. I bet Gailey wasn't CLOSE to on our radar at the beginning of last season, unless you had asked Buddy Nix who he would consider...

In the second, he assumes that Nix and Ralph feel that a young coach in charge with a high power OC as number 2a is a good idea. Clearly these guys want someone that's coached at a high level in charge. It's not the Next Hot Thing, but it is stable.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out...

If you think buddy has the final say on anything you're kidding yourself.

Why? How do you explain the out of nowhere candidate, Southern coach bring brought in? Pure credentials? Ralphie Boy? Brandon?

They could've hired Gailey when they fired Turk?

And completely changed the offense in the TEN DAYS before the season opener, when Jauron was already desperately trying to do whatever he could to hang onto his job?

Jasno lost me with that one.

And completely changed the offense in the TEN DAYS before the season opener, when Jauron was already desperately trying to do whatever he could to hang onto his job?

Well, they could have done it. Whether it is completely illogical not being considered. :thumbsup:

Why? How do you explain the out of nowhere candidate, Southern coach bring brought in? Pure credentials? Ralphie Boy? Brandon?

I also heard on some radio or tv show that the reason Gailey was brought in was because of Cowher. Cowher said that if he was hired as HC he would bring in Chan Gailey as OC, and he even suggested the Bills look at him for the HC position. Well, the brain trust (read Nix) did just that and Voila!

I wonder if it's true?

I also heard on some radio or tv show that the reason Gailey was brought in was because of Cowher. Cowher said that if he was hired as HC he would bring in Chan Gailey as OC, and he even suggested the Bills look at him for the HC position. Well, the brain trust (read Nix) did just that and Voila!

I wonder if it's true?

Dan Reeves and Bill Cowher both raved about Gailey as a coach...I guess you could do a lot worse than to have those two guys decidedly in your corner...thats a lot of wins between them...

yeah, no kidding...AVP was the only choice they could make in that kind of time frame

So because the league feels they should have hired Frazier, then that means the Bills are wrong??

Maybe DJ didn't want to hire CG. It was up to DJ at that point.

The move left the league scratching their heads and that Frazier would have taken the job had it been offered to him.

He went on to say the Bills could have hired Gailey when they fired Schonert. Also said they could have given Frazier or Fewell the job and brought Gailey in as OC.

In the first comment it seems to me he's ignoring the regime change that's taken place in Buffalo. Clearly this was Buddy Nix's decision - he was in charge of this hiring, not The Inner Circle as was when we fired Schonert. I bet Gailey wasn't CLOSE to on our radar at the beginning of last season, unless you had asked Buddy Nix who he would consider...

In the second, he assumes that Nix and Ralph feel that a young coach in charge with a high power OC as number 2a is a good idea. Clearly these guys want someone that's coached at a high level in charge. It's not the Next Hot Thing, but it is stable.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out...

Why would it be preferable to hire Frazier as HC and CG as OC? I can understand the CG as OC part, but what evidence does anyone have to say Frazier would ever be a good coach? I'd estimate foe every 4 to 5 coordinators hired, one pans out, and maybe another one pans out the second time around.

Gailey indicated that he will not be hiring a true OC. He is going to try to balance playcalling and game management at the same time. A Frazier hiring with Gailey at OC would've been preferable if at all possible.

I can understand people being upset with the hire as he's not a big name. But for people to beripping the Bill's because they could have hirered Marty Scott, or Frazier instead is amazing. Over the years Marty worked with some pretty talented teams, would always win in the regular season, but fail in the playoffs. CG has done about the same, but with alot less experience. If he'd been kept longer in Dallas maybe he would have won. Marty even when with teams along time never won in playoffs. Regular season, I think with equal talent, they are equal coaches. Frazier may become the next Bill Cowler or the next Dick J, no one knows so why would you want him instead.

Complain for not hiring a big name who's won alot in the past like a Cowler, fine, but to rip them for not hiring Marty, assuming his comments are even true, or Frazier is crazy!

I can understand people being upset with the hire as he's not a big name. But for people to beripping the Bill's because they could have hirered Marty Scott, or Frazier instead is amazing. Over the years Marty worked with some pretty talented teams, would always win in the regular season, but fail in the playoffs. CG has done about the same, but with alot less experience. If he'd been kept longer in Dallas maybe he would have won. Marty even when with teams along time never won in playoffs. Regular season, I think with equal talent, they are equal coaches. Frazier may become the next Bill Cowler or the next Dick J, no one knows so why would you want him instead.

Complain for not hiring a big name who's won alot in the past like a Cowler, fine, but to rip them for not hiring Marty, assuming his comments are even true, or Frazier is crazy!

Well, for me, it's got more to do with hiring someone who has lots of upside, can infuse some energy into the players and fanbase, about trying to do something new.

Gailey is the definition of retread, tired, tried and true mediocrity. His last HC job was 10 years ago. He's bounced around the league since then. So, yeah, he's got lots of experience. But, if he were the guy to turn a franchise around and energize a team, don't you think someone would have seen that by now?

I'm sorry, but there's almost zero chance that this works out good. Sure, we may get lucky. But, wouldn't' it be nice to try and make a little luck by hire a true up and comer? So, now we have a retread HC, that's going to also be his own OC - how many times has that ever really worked out? He's talking about bringing in an unknown DC to teach the players. When did we become a college team, is my question?

For some of us, it's not about hating any hire the Bills make. It's about have zero confidence in this hire suddenly figuring it out after all these years. Well... here's to luck, because we're gonna need it. :thumbsup:

Frazier may become the next Bill Cowler or the next Dick J, no one knows so why would you want him instead.

Dick Jauron had one winning season in four seasons as head coach with the Bears and Lions. He had a track record for being a loser. Frazier has upside that Jauron never had. He has yet to be a head coach in the NFL but most likely will be given that opportunity by a team in the next couple years.

I'd estimate foe every 4 to 5 coordinators hired, one pans out, and maybe another one pans out the second time around.

Your estimation would be very far from accurate. Nine of the twelve teams to make the playoffs this season have head coaches in their first stint as a head coach in the NFL.

I'll grant you a new hire like a may more energize a team, though from what I've read about Frazier, I doubt he would have done that anyway. He sounds somewhat like a young DJ. Maybe Brian Shott could have been that person. He was the only coordinator type that I felt would have been a rather intriguing hire. Him I would have liked more than most of the other names.

Just like Mary Levy who was fired by KC turned around the Bills when surrounded by top notch players CG could do the same IF nix comes through in the player department. Do I think this will likely happen, maybe, would I bet on it no.

Though I will bet on Nix will draft and sign much better players so CG's job will be much easier. And CG is a good enough coach to get to 9-7, maybe 10-6. Good enough to win a Super Bowl, probably not. That makes them respectable so then if they want to hire a different coach, they won't be turned down as the roster isn't bare. As Marv has often been quoted, when he first came to Buffalo who wouldn't have been excited to coach a team with a young Kelly, Smith, and Thomas. So if Nix can improve the roster enough to go .500, the mteam again becomes relevant.

Well, for me, it's got more to do with hiring someone who has lots of upside, can infuse some energy into the players and fanbase, about trying to do something new.

Gailey is the definition of retread, tired, tried and true mediocrity. His last HC job was 10 years ago. He's bounced around the league since then. So, yeah, he's got lots of experience. But, if he were the guy to turn a franchise around and energize a team, don't you think someone would have seen that by now?

I'm sorry, but there's almost zero chance that this works out good. Sure, we may get lucky. But, wouldn't' it be nice to try and make a little luck by hire a true up and comer? So, now we have a retread HC, that's going to also be his own OC - how many times has that ever really worked out? He's talking about bringing in an unknown DC to teach the players. When did we become a college team, is my question?

For some of us, it's not about hating any hire the Bills make. It's about have zero confidence in this hire suddenly figuring it out after all these years. Well... here's to luck, because we're gonna need it. :w00t:

I'll grant you a new hire like a may more energize a team, though from what I've read about Frazier, I doubt he would have done that anyway. He sounds somewhat like a young DJ. Maybe Brian Shott could have been that person. He was the only coordinator type that I felt would have been a rather intriguing hire. Him I would have liked more than most of the other names.

Just like Mary Levy who was fired by KC turned around the Bills when surrounded by top notch players CG could do the same IF nix comes through in the player department. Do I think this will likely happen, maybe, would I bet on it no.

Though I will bet on Nix will draft and sign much better players so CG's job will be much easier. And CG is a good enough coach to get to 9-7, maybe 10-6. Good enough to win a Super Bowl, probably not. That makes them respectable so then if they want to hire a different coach, they won't be turned down as the roster isn't bare. As Marv has often been quoted, when he first came to Buffalo who wouldn't have been excited to coach a team with a young Kelly, Smith, and Thomas. So if Nix can improve the roster enough to go .500, the mteam again becomes relevant.

So that's our bar now? We want to get to 8-8? I'm sorry, no offense, but that would suck. You overhaul the coaching staff, bring in a new GM and shoot for 8-8 ; when we we're a year removed for 7-9 for 3 years.

I really don't put an more value on a NFL "reporter's" opinion than anyone on an internet board. Time will tell and I'll jsut trust Nix at this point.

Amen! They had no clue. :w00t::w00t:

This reminds me when San Diego hired Norv Turner after they fired Marty Schotzky. Same media coverage and opinion of both teams.

The only reason Frazier has any upside is becasue he has no downside as he hasn't doen anything as a HC. Agreed, he likely will become a HC soon, and five years later he could look like Bill Cowler or DJ. Until then no one knows, that's my point, upside is worthless if it doesn't work out.

As far as my estimate goes, making the playoffs certainly would be a huge improvment for the Bills. But first lets see how many of these 9 make the playoffs the next two years again or so. Many of these new coaches look great one year, then two years later they were fired. Why? How many first year coaches made it last year; one Miami, whom didn't make it this year, 2007 Washington made it was the first or second year for that Zorn? We see how that worked out. The fact that 9 of 12 teams in playoff are first year coaches further indicates that many of these new guys from prior years had no continual success. Not saying these new guys won't be good, but I am pretty certain within three years. of the 12 , a third will be fired, and within five years half.

Dick Jauron had one winning season in four seasons as head coach with the Bears and Lions. He had a track record for being a loser. Frazier has upside that Jauron never had. He has yet to be a head coach in the NFL but most likely will be given that opportunity by a team in the next couple years.

Your estimation would be very far from accurate. Nine of the twelve teams to make the playoffs this season have head coaches in their first stint as a head coach in the NFL.

Three lines above what you bolded I also stated 9-7 or 10-6, so read the whole thing. And yes, to finish at .500 OR HIGHER lets say for three years in a row, would be a good first step. In football one or two wins better than prior is alot when you only play 16 games. We also have been a somewhat lucky 709 too, I mean if Indy needed that last game for home field, would we have won it? In the past ten years we've hit .500 one time I believe? Then when you get to that step, you then set the bar higher. Maybe it can be turned around faster, depends on the job Nix does. But first you need to make the team relavent again.

So that's our bar now? We want to get to 8-8? I'm sorry, no offense, but that would suck. You overhaul the coaching staff, bring in a new GM and shoot for 8-8 ; when we we're a year removed for 7-9 for 3 years.