Pittsburgh newspaper article gives some insight on Grimm

I know some will dismiss anyone who's first name isn't Bill but I think we could do a lot worse than this guy. He seems like an anti Dick Jauron meaning he's not afraid to put a foot in the ass of the team. He's not going to be Mr. Players coach. He's an O lineman which makes me think our practices and training camps aren't going to be easy street like with DJ. I want a good tough team and I think he can at least bring the tough element. The good part also depends on Nix and the direction he goes with players. I don't think we're doomed if we hire Grimm. We get a guy that commands the kind of respect he does around the league we may have a shot at some good coordinators. It seems like he may have the leadership thing down from some of the quotes I've read. Plus he's won where he's been, we need a winner.

Here's a blog post from almost exactly 2 years ago when the Redskins were looking a coach on Grimm's qualifications. Some more interesting stuff here as well:

The case for Russ Grimm

It may all be anecdotal evidence of how he will do, but the comments of others who have worked with him and/or know him are VERY telling. I'm liking Grimm more and more. Hope he gives Buffalo a good interview and makes Buddy & Russ take notice.

The article may have won me over, I was in the camp that argued against Grimm due to Arizona's line being subpar at times and running game being non-existant but I also consider what he is working with, mainly Mike Gandy. If Grimm wants to come to Buffalo, I wouldn't hate it.

Russ Grimm has been an interesting prospect for coach for me as I've been tracking all the various names and ideas floated around by the media, various pundits, and our very own message board. Since the "panic" button was officially pushed once Jauron was fired (which was one off-season overdue) many of us have clamored for Shanahan or Cowher but the more and more I hear about Grimm the more I'm in the camp that likes the idea of hiring this guy. Of course he comes with an Offensive line pedigree and after spending so much time in Pittsburgh that generated a power running type of offense and now in Arizona, that despite the various objections by people on this message board, that continues to create incredible offensive statistics I believe Grimm might just be the man for the job. If he comes into the interview process with the idea that he wants a Head Coaching job in the NFL and is lusting for the opportunity to demonstrate his football prowess.....then I would like him on the sidelines for the BILLS this upcoming season. I would also think he would know what to look for in a good offensive lineman and comes with quite a resume. As a side note, I wonder what round he was drafted in and his fellow compatriots on the Redskins offensive line, in other words, does he know how to unearth good line talent without having to take the sexy, 1st round pick in order to get offensive line talent? But Grimm now has one more fan, and I think he needs to know that he's not Buffalo's pick just because we've been spurned by Cowher but rather that the BILLS franchise CHOOSE him, not just GET him by default....make him know his knowledge and skills are coveted and desired in Buffalo...he's not our 2nd choice, he's our top priority, I think that may be more important to him than just money, but pride....this may be the time to realize that if we're going to re-build - it needs to be done with the proper mindset at the helm...a man who has made his name and his money in the trenches!!!

we had to pratically beg him to interview for the job. he isnt going to come here. If you have to beg someone to interview they really dont want the job. He sounds like he wouldnt be bad, but i dont see it happening. If he dont want to come here then f him. Id rather have someone like fewell or fraizer at least they want to be here.

Nothing against Grimm, but the Steelers seem to have made the right choice.

I may argue that the Steelers won that Super Bowl in spite of Tomlin, Dick LeBeau kept his system in place and Big Ben is a franchise quarterback.  Tomlin may turn into the modern day Barry Switzer, he won with someone else's team. I could be wrong but this year showed that Tomlin is prone to some very questionable game day decisions.

Who knows if Grimm has the same result if he gets the position.

Nothing against Grimm, but the Steelers seem to have made the right choice.

Yeah, but it's also possible that they made A right choice rather than THE right choice.

The Steelers may well have had three good candidates and put themselves in a position where any of the choices would have been terrific.

I'd be happy with Grimm or Frazier. Both seem like leaders that will bring in capable coordinators to rebuild this tattered franchise.

Anything but Billick. For those wondering why either of these two haven't been HC's yet...at least they're working. You have to wonder why Billick hasn't gotten a sniff from ANYONE in the NFL since he was dumped by the Ravens. I mean, he wasn't even mentioned in any of last year's coaching hires.

To me Billick is in the same group as Fassel and Haslett. Not good enough to be an HC.

Hopefully all these singing birds can calm down with all the "if he is so good, then why didn't they make him OC?" bs.

It's a valid question, there are a lot of almosts and could-haves surrounding Grimm. He is a sexy prospect (so to speak) but they come and go every year. Flame away, but a D Green or Billick or any 2 tier candidate that knows the BS of life as a head coach- can deal with that circus and get down to work seems the best fit for the starved fans of WNY. Dear old Marv was a somewhat lucky choice (kind Jauron-ish in KC) but he was not a complete (head coaching) unknown. (CFL really doesn't count) I get the upside of taking risks, but this isn't 1997 with all those recent playoff berths. After nearly 20 years in those seats, I can only speak for me, 10-6 would be nirvana. Just frikkin win.

He has the perfect last name for this bunch of self-hating fans.

Seriously, he's an OL, a teacher, disciplinarian, X&O's guy, blue collar - seems like a good fit on paper.

These two points are (IMO) the most important part of being a head coach. You don't always need to be a brilliant coordinator, just a guy who knows the game and leads people the right way.

Just because he wasn't an OC doesn't mean he's not fit for being a head coach.

Seems like there are alot of positives this guy could bring that we've sorely needed for some time. I like the fact that everywhere he's been, a solid running game has emerged - and he's done it with some second stringers too. I mean geez, Mike Gandy was his left tackle in the Super Bowl!

Combine a smash-mouthed coach like this with a proven DC that DOESN"T play Tampa 2, and we could be in business. Kinda sounds like what the Jets did, eh?