The end of "The Tonight Show"

CosmicBills

there is no way conan is an A............seriously, no way and I really like him...but sometimes it just the same ol same ol. Heck this NBC drama was the funniest they all have had for a long time

Well over the course of around 250 shows a year any host ends up feeling same ol same ol at times I gave Conan an A; not saying he is perfect but I enjoy his style the most and I feel he brings something different to the late night formula.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Different yes but not better or worse. Kids now have just as carefree a life as they always did. I am sure circa 1979 some guy who was 30 or 40 years old then was saying kids now are growing up in a messed up world it was a lot better back in the day. Adults do their best to insulate kids from the world sure some get exposed to it way too quickly but I am sure that there were kids growing up in the late 70's early 80's that were exposed to the world as well.

Simply put its all relative. People tend to be fascinated with their childhood because they percived the world diffrently at the time because they were children. The world kids grow up in is diffrent but its not a bad place to grow up and odds are kids now will in 20 or 30 years be telling some guy not even born yet how awesome the world they grew up in was.

If you exposed a kid back in the 70s to tv nowadays, it would be TOTALLY different for them than what they were used to watching. Im not making a value judgment either way, but Cincy's point about kids being insulated from a lot of stuff back then, compared to today, is valid.

If you exposed a kid back in the 70s to tv nowadays, it would be TOTALLY different for them than what they were used to watching. Im not making a value judgment either way, but Cincy's point about kids being insulated from a lot of stuff back then, compared to today, is valid.

I don't think that its as drastic as Cincy make it out to be. Sure technology and the new media that has spawned from it has changed the way kids grow up but its not as drastic as he was making it out to be. Its very Hyperbolic to romanticize the past and say the present isn't as good. As I have said the present is different from the past its not better or worse its just different.

As I have said if you talk to someone who is growing up now in 30 years they will talk about these times with a romanticism that someone today talks about 30 years ago with.

And American Idol is the highest rated show out there. The ratings are a strange beast.

idol is a great show. obviously its not going to be GREAT each week. it has comedy with the fools. drama with the inspirational stories. etc, etc.

i love the show. sometimes the singers nail a song BIG TIME. which is great. sometimes they destroy a song which is great too.

no wonder 90% of my coworkers watch the show.

idol is a great show. obviously its not going to be GREAT each week. it has comedy with the fools. drama with the inspirational stories. etc, etc.

i love the show. sometimes the singers nail a song BIG TIME. which is great. sometimes they destroy a song which is great too.

no wonder 90% of my coworkers watch the show.

I don't like American Idol. Every year its the same thing the Show got stale over 6 years ago. To me I don't like my music to be perfect and polished I like a raw melodic sound played by a band trying to convey emotions and a series of other messages to their audience not a bunch of people going on a glorified star search show trying to be the next sell out pop star.

I don't like American Idol. Every year its the same thing the Show got stale over 6 years ago. To me I don't like my music to be perfect and polished I like a raw melodic sound played by a band trying to convey emotions and a series of other messages to their audience not a bunch of people going on a glorified star search show trying to be the next sell out pop star.

thats your choice i guess. if the show sucked, no one would watch. like they didnt watch lenos new show. as i said earlier, not every episode is great. sometimes its a little bland. but every now and then someone nails a song so perfect, that one could overlook the so-so episodes.

good example: adam lamberts interpretation of michael jacksons beat it or billy jean. it was masterful. (dont like adam lambert, he screams too much, prefer the idol winner kris)

btw, ur right. it is the same thing every year. EXCEPT FOR THE NEW PEOPLE. LOL!

thats your choice i guess. if the show sucked, no one would watch. like they didnt watch lenos new show. as i said earlier, not every episode is great. sometimes its a little bland. but every now and then someone nails a song so perfect, that one could overlook the so-so episodes.

good example: adam lamberts interpretation of michael jacksons beat it or billy jean. it was masterful. (dont like adam lambert, he screams too much, prefer the idol winner kris)

Well I get the appeal of the Show but its just not for me. As I said I like bands creating something cool and orignal not people singing covers of songs I don't like (I seriously hate Michael Jackson and most pop music). So the show to me doesn't represent quality its rather generic and formulaic BUT Americans like things to follow a formula and be safe, its the reason most sitcoms had everything go back to the way things started, Change and innovation scares people.

Saw this article today, noticed item #2...

5 Other Late Night Feuds

by Kara Kovalchik - January 18, 2010 - 9:30 AM

2. Johnny Carson vs Jay Leno

In 1987, Johnny was still the host and head honcho of The Tonight Show, but Jay Leno was the exclusive “guest host” for those nights when Johnny was unable to work. When Carson eventually negotiated a shorter work week into his contract, it meant that Leno became the de facto host each Monday night. All was copacetic until late 1991, when Leno’s management released stories to the press stating that Carson planned to retire the following year, and Leno would assume host duties of The Tonight Show. Johnny had been considering retirement, but those talks were still speculative and behind-the-scenes, and he felt that Jay Leno had forced his hand. Carson not-so-subtly let his true feelings be known by snubbing Leno’s Tonight Show and appearing on The Late Show with David Letterman after his retirement.

Well I get the appeal of the Show but its just not for me. As I said I like bands creating something cool and orignal not people singing covers of songs I don't like (I seriously hate Michael Jackson and most pop music). So the show to me doesn't represent quality its rather generic and formulaic BUT Americans like things to follow a formula and be safe, its the reason most sitcoms had everything go back to the way things started, Change and innovation scares people.

It's true. Our musical diet has been reduced to lullabies. people don't have the musical adventurism they once did. Ever seen the documentary on Monterey Pop? Seeing all those people grooving to Ravi Shankar, Otis Redding, and The Mamas and the Papas...it's inspiring to see some many people approach music with an open mind. Hazards of the corporate radio buyout, I guess. People are not really put into the position to hear different kinds of sounds. If the Beatles came out today they'd be a fringe indie pop band on Sub Pop. the kids couldn't handle the weirdness.

It's true. Our musical diet has been reduced to lullabies. people don't have the musical adventurism they once did. Ever seen the documentary on Monterey Pop? Seeing all those people grooving to Ravi Shankar, Otis Redding, and The Mamas and the Papas...it's inspiring to see some many people approach music with an open mind. Hazards of the corporate radio buyout, I guess. People are not really put into the position to hear different kinds of sounds. If the Beatles came out today they'd be a fringe indie pop band on Sub Pop. the kids couldn't handle the weirdness.

Well if the Beatles came out today music would be totally different. What's the name of the doc on Monterey Pop (Or is it named Monterey POP), I would love to see it. In the late 50's and early 60's when rock was first coming out (And pop music on a massive scale was too) it was a very interesting sound and it was being pulled in many different directions there was no formula yet.

Well if the Beatles came out today music would be totally different. What's the name of the doc on Monterey Pop (Or is it named Monterey POP), I would love to see it. In the late 50's and early 60's when rock was first coming out (And pop music on a massive scale was too) it was a very interesting sound and it was being pulled in many different directions there was no formula yet.

It's just called Monterey Pop. It's your basic rock doc, nothing special film wise. What's amazing about it is seeing people's minds get blown by Otis. There's all these shots of very famous rock stars, I remember Mama Cass in particular, staring at Otis with their mouths open. People cared back then. A couple months ago my buddy's band played a show in town. On Thursdays the bar has music until 12 and then DJs until 2. So three bands from Rochester and Buffalo play and kill it. 5 people there. DJs show up and 100 people walk in the door. We're not talking Grandmaster Flash DJs either, just some chumps with a bunch of cds. I refuse to admit folks have always been this indifferent.

• 5 months later...
Who in their right mind would want to go anywhere near that hosting gig if Leno gets booted now?

For the money they pay? Almost anyone they would consider, I'd guess.