The end of "The Tonight Show"

CosmicBills

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the majority of the above posters. I've simply never found Leno funny or engaging in anyway. The only bits worth watching still are Headlines and Jaywalking, both of which feature fits of typical American stupidity that Leno had no hand in in the first place.

As I was growing up, I always loved the summer months when I could stay up late and watch Letterman than Conan. That's how its always been for 10 plus years. Letterman is now feasting on the ratings because Leno can't admit the fact that he's cooked and has no redeeming value to television anymore.

Its unfortunate for NBC, but if Leno wins this battle, say goodbye to Conan and the real talent. Believe it or not I'm actually one of the few who enjoys Fallon, but I know a lot of my friends can't stand his show. If Conan goes to Fox, it could be like the 90's again with Arsenio Hall. I was never old enough to even watch the show in its day, but Fox hasn't been in the late night game in years, and it would certainly provide a better option than Kimmel who isn't funny at all, or George Lopez who is even worse.

I'm still trying to convince my friends to play the "Lopez Drinking Game"- drink 15 beers, watch Lopez, laugh once, and you lose.

The behind the scenes dirt on the original Leno/Conan move is this ...

When Conan signed his latest contract he had a provision put in (based on Leno's decision to retire) that he would have to be given the Tonight Show by 2009 or NBC would have to pay a $50 million dollar penalty and buy Conan out. The network, not wanting to lose Conan to Fox or ABC, forced Leno out (who changed his mind about retiring at the 11th hour) to avoid paying the buyout fee.

But then, Leno started taking offers from ABC and Fox to host a new late night show at ... 11:35. NBC decided to give Jay a prime time slot to keep him off the competitor's payroll and sacrificed a butt load of new pilots slated for 10pm (which, pissed off a lot of show runners in town).

Now, Leno's show is getting horrible (and deserved) ratings, so the network is scrambling. They can bring Leno back (their ratings golden boy) and strong arm Conan out WITHOUT having to pay the $50 million buyout fee. So, to Conan's people and a lot of industry insiders, this looks like more of a calculated move by NBC to keep Leno at 11:35 without having to pay Conan -- and try to force him back to 12:05.

When Conan signed his latest contract he had a provision put in (based on Leno's decision to retire) that he would have to be given the Tonight Show by 2009 or NBC would have to pay a $50 million dollar penalty and buy Conan out. The network, not wanting to lose Conan to Fox or ABC, forced Leno out (who changed his mind about retiring at the 11th hour) to avoid paying the buyout fee.

But then, Leno started taking offers from ABC and Fox to host a new late night show at ... 11:35. NBC decided to give Jay a prime time slot to keep him off the competitor's payroll and sacrificed a butt load of new pilots slated for 10pm (which, pissed off a lot of show runners in town).

Now, Leno's show is getting horrible (and deserved) ratings, so the network is scrambling. They can bring Leno back (their ratings golden boy) and strong arm Conan out WITHOUT having to pay the $50 million buyout fee. So, to Conan's people and a lot of industry insiders, this looks like more of a calculated move by NBC to keep Leno at 11:35 without having to pay Conan -- and try to force him back to 12:05.

Very good take.

Interesting....thanks, Tgregg

I would really hate to be Conan in this situation. You land the "Tonight Show" gig which was a dream job for him considering that in the 1st 3 years of his Late Night career he was always rumored to be canceled. Conan worked his craft for 16 years at 12:35 and now he got his chance to take over one of the most prestigious hosting duties in all of TV.

Now after just 7 months you get told to move back a half an hour to accommodate the guy you replaced? They didn't even give you a year to get your audience. Also the network didn't even put you in the best position possible by putting your successor on right before you. I mean what gave Leno a shot was the fact that Carson retired and allowed Leno to at least hold on to some of Carson's audience.

Its really sad that a guy who by all accounts (A friend of my brother interned at Conan's show around 4 years ago and he said Conan was beloved by his staff and treated him and everyone that worked for him with respect and was really funny and nice) is a super great guy gets the short end of the stick. If I were NBC I would just tell Leno hey we gave it a shot at 10:00 but it didn't work out we are sticking with Conan at 11:35 for at least another year.

As I have said before Leno's ratings were slipping around 2005-2006 and even though he was still tops in late night his lead was far from what it was. By 2009 Leno's act was stale and his ratings were reflective of that. Conan deserved a chance and its a shame his window was so short and his chance was compromised due to Jay Leno's ego.

god that's depressing. makes me glad I switched to film studies from production my junior year. I have so little patience for weasels.

Quite possibly the one thing that I enjoy less than Jay Leno

I would really hate to be Conan in this situation. You land the "Tonight Show" gig which was a dream job for him considering that in the 1st 3 years of his Late Night career he was always rumored to be canceled. Conan worked his craft for 16 years at 12:35 and now he got his chance to take over one of the most prestigious hosting duties in all of TV.

Now after just 7 months you get told to move back a half an hour to accommodate the guy you replaced? They didn't even give you a year to get your audience. Also the network didn't even put you in the best position possible by putting your successor on right before you. I mean what gave Leno a shot was the fact that Carson retired and allowed Leno to at least hold on to some of Carson's audience.

Its really sad that a guy who by all accounts (A friend of my brother interned at Conan's show around 4 years ago and he said Conan was beloved by his staff and treated him and everyone that worked for him with respect and was really funny and nice) is a super great guy gets the short end of the stick. If I were NBC I would just tell Leno hey we gave it a shot at 10:00 but it didn't work out we are sticking with Conan at 11:35 for at least another year.

As I have said before Leno's ratings were slipping around 2005-2006 and even though he was still tops in late night his lead was far from what it was. By 2009 Leno's act was stale and his ratings were reflective of that. Conan deserved a chance and its a shame his window was so short and his chance was compromised due to Jay Leno's ego.

Did the friend see anyone at the Buffalo Airport? maybe Cowher?

It is hard to believe that NBC actually expected Leno at 10 to fail in order to push Conan out.

I see all the speculation is that Conan will leave and that Leno will come back to the Tonight Show. I predict that this is wrong. I know all these stories say that NBC is likely to negotiate a settlement with Conan and move on.

After the backlash with the whole Letterman thing, I don't think Leno wants to go back to the Tonight Show with this toxic an environment. People will be hating on him for this. The Tonight Show ratings will not improve much, if at all, with Leno back there. Bad lead-ins and audiences having moved on have changed things from when he left.

Somehow, NBC will figure out some way to accommodate Conan and Leno and work this out. I predict something where Leno has a show that runs during the weekend or just not every day during the week.

I prefer Conan, but I have some sympathy for Leno. He was forced out of the Tonight Show and agreed to it despite not wanting really to retire. If he does agree to come back to the Tonight Show, then I do lose all sympathy for him.

Anybody see the Conan episode tonight? Man, he really ripped NBC apart. Him and Ricky Gervais were hilarious and both seemed to be tipping the bottle back before the show. I loved it, thought it was awesome.

Ricky's awesome. Def check out his new show. I've been listening to the podcasts for years.

Ricky's awesome. Def check out his new show. I've been listening to the podcasts for years.

What new show?

For my money, in their primes, Letterman was the only one who could hold a candle to Johnny Carson. Leno is awful, but if you are old enough to remember, ironically, his appearences on Lettermen's original NBC show ("what's my beef?") were "can't miss tv" way back when... Conan is funny, but he is still, to this day, awful with the interview segment of his show. You can normally shut him off a half hour in, and feel relatively confident you aren't missing much. I know a lot of folks seem to like Craig Ferguson, but I don't get it...he is kind of annoying...for my money (not that I watch many of the late night talkies any more), Jimmy Kimmel is the best right now.

He was on promoting The Ricky Gervais show on HBO which is an animated version of the podcasts he does with Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington. Great stuff.

Awesome...I didn't realize they were coming to HBO. Everytime I think it is safe to cancel HBO, something like that comes along... "Real Time with Bill Maher" is the only thing I watch on HBO anymore...

Awesome...I didn't realize they were coming to HBO. Everytime I think it is safe to cancel HBO, something like that comes along... "Real Time with Bill Maher" is the only thing I watch on HBO anymore...

You should check out Band of Brothers, they are doing re-runs every Sunday at 8pm. It's really good, I didn't watch it when it first came out but the first 2 episodes of the series were On-Demand and I happened to watch them. Very interesting and enjoyable.

You should check out Band of Brothers, they are doing re-runs every Sunday at 8pm. It's really good, I didn't watch it when it first came out but the first 2 episodes of the series were On-Demand and I happened to watch them. Very interesting and enjoyable.

Band of Brothers is amazing....I bought the series on blu-ray a year ago and loved it.

What new show?

For my money, in their primes, Letterman was the only one who could hold a candle to Johnny Carson. Leno is awful, but if you are old enough to remember, ironically, his appearences on Lettermen's original NBC show ("what's my beef?") were "can't miss tv" way back when... Conan is funny, but he is still, to this day, awful with the interview segment of his show. You can normally shut him off a half hour in, and feel relatively confident you aren't missing much. I know a lot of folks seem to like Craig Ferguson, but I don't get it...he is kind of annoying...for my money (not that I watch many of the late night talkies any more), Jimmy Kimmel is the best right now.

Unless its a guest that I like I usually shut off any Late Night Show after the monologue and skit. I just don't care what you have to say about your movie.