The end of "The Tonight Show"

CosmicBills

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leno is a very nice guy. He is friends with everybody who is anybody in comedy. He has worked very hard to get to where he is. He has only one serious flaw: He is not funny. At all.

Conan is funny. Very funny.

That's all you need to know.

Eh - Leno, O'Brien, Letterman etc. ...all they have done for years is make political cracks. It's been old for a long time.

I can't say I'll wring my hands over Conan's poor plight, though. He's a multi-millionaire, not by making useful products or improving human conditions - just by being a charming gum-flapper.

Eh - Leno, O'Brien, Letterman etc. ...all they have done for years is make political cracks. It's been old for a long time.

I can't say I'll wring my hands over Conan's poor plight, though. He's a multi-millionaire, not by making useful products or improving human conditions - just by being a charming gum-flapper.

A gum-flapper with enough talent probably does more to improve the "human condition" of his/her audience than just about anyone else on this planet. Never underestimate the power and value of humor!

I love watching the old interviews from Johnny Carson. Today they're scripted and the conversation is directed towards plugging a movie, TV show, album, product, etc. But on Carson's show they just sat around drinking and smoking and shooting the schitt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue3Gcp_5ESs - Pay Close Attention to Dean Martin starting at 2:00 :wallbash:

I love watching the old interviews from Johnny Carson. Today they're scripted and the conversation is directed towards plugging a movie, TV show, album, product, etc. But on Carson's show they just sat around drinking and smoking and shooting the schitt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue3Gcp_5ESs - Pay Close Attention to Dean Martin starting at 2:00 :wallbash:

But that's the problem with so much TV now a days, especially the talk shows and SNL. The over scripting and cue cards have completely ruined SNL.

IMO, it's one of the things that makes the Daily Show so interesting/funny. You never really know where he's going to go with the questions. Yes, the interviewees are there promoting a book/movie/something; but they get off on nice tangents and the book is just there for show.

A gum-flapper with enough talent probably does more to improve the "human condition" of his/her audience than just about anyone else on this planet. Never underestimate the power and value of humor!

That and he gave us possibly the greatest Simpsons episode of all time, "Marge vs. the Monorail".

Leno is a very nice guy. He is friends with everybody who is anybody in comedy. He has worked very hard to get to where he is. He has only one serious flaw: He is not funny. At all.

Conan is funny. Very funny.

That's all you need to know.

Aside from the knife that is still in Letterman's back, I'm sure Leno is a real charmer in real life.

Conan O'Brien was a lot better then Leno whose act got stale by 2003. I think that Conan just needed some time to get his audience and get his act down. I honestly think that Letterman is just horrible (Good with guests but his humor is just horrible) and very overrated. I thought Leno was OK but his act got old real quick.

Look at how far Conan came after he was hired in 1993. His first 2 years he was a little awkward but he was passionate about the show and wanted to bring something new to the table as far as a Late Night TV. After just a few years Conan made a truly original show that was a ratings success (Over both Craig Ferguson who I LOVE before then he wiped the floor with Craig Kilbourn).

Now to me honestly what really compromised Conan was Leno. Leno didn't want to leave and instead of passing the torch to Conan he carried his audience with him to an earlier timeslot. Now look at what Carson did for Leno he gracefully backed out and Leno was given a chance to retain at least some of Carson's audience.

Leno is by all accounts a very calculated man. He wants the 11:35 time slot but does he really know why he wants it? I mean he seems like he just wants it for his ego rather then because he is passionate about doing something with the timeslot.

Conan O'Brien was a lot better then Leno whose act got stale by 2003. I think that Conan just needed some time to get his audience and get his act down. I honestly think that Letterman is just horrible (Good with guests but his humor is just horrible) and very overrated. I thought Leno was OK but his act got old real quick.

Agreed on all counts (Letterman hasn't been funny since I was in college). Ironically, Conan's ratings got killed because of Leno's awful 10:00 show.

Leno is by all accounts a very calculated man. He wants the 11:35 time slot but does he really know why he wants it? I mean he seems like he just wants it for his ego rather then because he is passionate about doing something with the time slot.

Leno is the Teflon man. He pushed out Letterman 18 years ago for the gig and now he's pushing Conan out after agreeing to give him the job 7 months ago. Guy is cutthroat -- and joking about it on his show -- yet somehow everyone still thinks he's the nicest guy on the block. Amazing.

I have never heard one person say that they are a fan of Jay Leno, so I've never understood why his show got the ratings it did. To me, Letterman and Conan have always been miles ahead of him.

Anyway, I'd love to see Comedy Central somehow become a player in this. Conan would have a ton of freedom on a cable channel and a Daily Show/Colbert/Conan block could really clean up. Sure, it would never be the same as network ratings, but there's so much potential there.

Speaking of ratings, does anyone know how those shape up right now? Is Letterman absolutely cleaning up now? Personally, that's something I think he deserves, but it's too bad an idiotic situation like this was necessary to bring it about.

I am a fan of Leno

Agreed on all counts (Letterman hasn't been funny since I was in college). Ironically, Conan's ratings got killed because of Leno's awful 10:00 show.

Leno is the Teflon man. He pushed out Letterman 18 years ago for the gig and now he's pushing Conan out after agreeing to give him the job 7 months ago. Guy is cutthroat -- and joking about it on his show -- yet somehow everyone still thinks he's the nicest guy on the block. Amazing.

must be that time