Most depressing search for a HC of all time

jahnyc

Clearly, the Bills needed someone with a track record of success to turn things around (on the field and perception wise). So far, the Bills have struck out with Shanahan, Gruden and Cowher and Fox does not seem interested. This is tragic, since these are the only types of coaches who could have attracted decent assistant coaches and forced RW to agree to pay for players and assistant coaches. Now we will be stuck interviewing coordinators without real leverage or head coaching experience. We have been through this before with Williams and Mularkey. Why will it be different this time? Can any of these guys assemble a decent staff? If it is so difficult to get a head coach, will it be any easier to find decent assistant coaches? Years of people saying that RW is cheap and stuck in his ways, and with the hiring of Nix (probably the least expensive GM that could be hired) without a search outside of the organization and the likelihood of hiring a coordinator to be head coach, the Bills will once again be paying the least possible amount for their GM and head coach.

Billick wants to coach here but Ralph doesn't know him. Cowher may want to coach here but Ralph doesn't know him. Schottenheimer may want to come to be back with Buddy Nix, but Ralph doesn't really know him. Russ Grimm appears to be next on the carousel of interviews. Ralph doesn't know Grimm or Frazier. Ralph didn't know Jauron. Why do I feel like we're going to get someone Ralph doesn't know who's cheap? I'm not buying this "I don't know him" crap anymore.

Last time I checked John Fox was still the coach in Carolina. If the Bills did ask if he'd be interested, that would be called tampering. I know it's a big word, if you need help, I could look up the meaning for you.

All these guys you mention as great head coaches all started out just like Williams, Mularkey and whomever we may end up hiring this time. They were coordinators that someone took a chance on. The difference was they worked out, though you could argue that it took Cowler a long time, longer than many teams would have waited. I think a bigger reason that they worked and Williams and Mularkey didn't was they had better players to work with which is a function of the GM.

Actually I'm of the opinion that coaching is over-rated, and the GM job is under-rated. Get good players and everyone looks much smarter. For example, what did Marv Levy do prior to coming to Buffalo? There are many other similar situation in various sports, teams who lost for years, hired a good GM and things turned around.

It's also been documented that any recycled coach over 50 has never won much the second time around either. They are respectable which certainly would be a huge improvement, but I believe at most only one of them has ever won it all. o be careful what you wish for.

Clearly, the Bills needed someone with a track record of success to turn things around (on the field and perception wise). So far, the Bills have struck out with Shanahan, Gruden and Cowher and Fox does not seem interested. This is tragic, since these are the only types of coaches who could have attracted decent assistant coaches and forced RW to agree to pay for players and assistant coaches. Now we will be stuck interviewing coordinators without real leverage or head coaching experience. We have been through this before with Williams and Mularkey. Why will it be different this time? Can any of these guys assemble a decent staff? If it is so difficult to get a head coach, will it be any easier to find decent assistant coaches? Years of people saying that RW is cheap and stuck in his ways, and with the hiring of Nix (probably the least expensive GM that could be hired) without a search outside of the organization and the likelihood of hiring a coordinator to be head coach, the Bills will once again be paying the least possible amount for their GM and head coach.

I would take Billick. He has a ring on his finger.

tons of jackasses have rings on their fingers. what did billick do to earn that ring? very very little.

There have been reports that he does not appear to be interested in the head coaching position in Buffalo. None of us know the dynamics of his situation in Carolina, but there were reports he was interested in the Browns, and I would speculate that if ownership has told him that he can void the last year of this agreement, they may allow him to engage in informal discussions with other teams about possible openings.

Billick wants to coach here but Ralph doesn't know him. Cowher may want to coach here but Ralph doesn't know him. Schottenheimer may want to come to be back with Buddy Nix, but Ralph doesn't really know him. Russ Grimm appears to be next on the carousel of interviews. Ralph doesn't know Grimm or Frazier. Ralph didn't know Jauron. Why do I feel like we're going to get someone Ralph doesn't know who's cheap? I'm not buying this "I don't know him" crap anymore.

Sorry, Ralph doesn't know Schottenheimer? Even though he played and coached for the Bills? If that doesn't do it, what does?

He has never showed that he needs to know the coach. Jauron, Mularkey and Gregg Williams are just the last three examples of this. And Levy before that.

Sorry, Ralph doesn't know Schottenheimer? Even though he played and coached for the Bills? If that doesn't do it, what does?

He has never showed that he needs to know the coach. Jauron, Mularkey and Gregg Williams are just the last three examples of this. And Levy before that.

Ralph's so busy meddling he doesn't have time to learn anyone's name. He just tells them what to do and finds ways to not pay them anything while they're doing it.

It's hard to know anyone when most of your friends died over the last twenty years. Seriously, Ralph needs to be out of football operations.

Last time I checked John Fox was still the coach in Carolina. If the Bills did ask if he'd be interested, that would be called tampering. I know it's a big word, if you need help, I could look up the meaning for you.

All these guys you mention as great head coaches all started out just like Williams, Mularkey and whomever we may end up hiring this time. They were coordinators that someone took a chance on. The difference was they worked out, though you could argue that it took Cowler a long time, longer than many teams would have waited. I think a bigger reason that they worked and Williams and Mularkey didn't was they had better players to work with which is a function of the GM.

Actually I'm of the opinion that coaching is over-rated, and the GM job is under-rated. Get good players and everyone looks much smarter. For example, what did Marv Levy do prior to coming to Buffalo? There are many other similar situation in various sports, teams who lost for years, hired a good GM and things turned around.

It's also been documented that any recycled coach over 50 has never won much the second time around either. They are respectable which certainly would be a huge improvement, but I believe at most only one of them has ever won it all. o be careful what you wish for.

Really? "It's also been documented that any recycled coach over 50 has never won much the second time around either," you say? "I believe at most only one of them has ever won it all," you say? Let me give you a few quick examples which prove you wrong.

Weeb Ewbank was born in 1907. He won an NFL championship with the Colts before the first Super Bowl, and then in 1963 he got a job with the New York Jets and won Super Bowl III with them. I would call that fairly successful.

Tom Coughlin was born in 1946 and got his second coaching job with the New York Giants in 2003, and you know how that turned out.

Dick Vermeil was born in 1936 and got his second coaching job with the Rams in 1997. I would call him fairly successful.

And I didn't even look hard. I'm sure there are many others.

I do agree with you, however, that the importance of coaches is overrated. I'm not sure that GMs are underrated, because everyone I know thinks they are hugely important. But there's no question that you're right that some young coordinators are ready to be sensational coaches. The problem is finding the right one and then giving him the right personnel to win.

If the Bills go with a guy like Frazier or another lesser known personality at HC, they're going to need to sign another "name" FA. Because if they don't, season ticket sales will steeply dive.

I don't think a team should hire someone solely on what the fans reaction will be. But when you're coming off a decade's worth of failure, something's gotta give.

-_-

tons of jackasses have rings on their fingers. what did billick do to earn that ring? very very little.

Um, he coached the team. To a Super Bowl title. With arguably the worst QB ever to win a Super Bowl. Billick did a tremendous job in earning that ring.

If the Bills go with a guy like Frazier or another lesser known personality at HC, they're going to need to sign another "name" FA. Because if they don't, season ticket sales will steeply dive.

I don't think a team should hire someone solely on what the fans reaction will be. But when you're coming off a decade's worth of failure, something's gotta give.

Right on

Im Assuming theres a good handful of season ticket holders that post here. And most people here want a proven HC in the NFL