Ask Tim Graham: Part III

TimGraham

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Tim -

Ive never heard of you and I watch/read more on sports than the common man. However you seem very well respected. My question is:

What are your thoughts on the Bills QB situation next year? Do they pick-up a vet..and if so, who might be of interest? As far as drafting a rookie, what are your thougts on the Bills picking up Tony Pike out of Cincy?

Thanks

Lee has average 50 catches per year for the last 3 years. In 2009, with TO taking the double team off of him, Lee had 44 catches for 600 yards. Those are stats for a rookie. When was the last time he showed any aggressiveness on the field? There are 10 to 15 teams he would not start for. He is a number 3 n any good team. Remember everyone had to be careful not to call him the number 2 when TO signed so he would not get upset. He has showed nothing for three years and less than nothing once he signed his fat cat deal that is two years old.

Please name me the 10-15 teams he would not start for. Then, if you've got this all figured out, please tell me how T.O. is a bonafide #1 if he only caught 55 balls this season? I'm sure this has nothing to do with out ****ty quarterback situation. I can't wait to hear this one...

Lee has average 50 catches per year for the last 3 years. In 2009, with TO taking the double team off of him, Lee had 44 catches for 600 yards. Those are stats for a rookie. When was the last time he showed any aggressiveness on the field? There are 10 to 15 teams he would not start for. He is a number 3 n any good team. Remember everyone had to be careful not to call him the number 2 when TO signed so he would not get upset. He has showed nothing for three years and less than nothing once he signed his fat cat deal that is two years old.

You're out of your mind. Do you want him to throw the ball to himself? Let's remember that Chad Ochocinco's productivity plummeted to 540 yds on 53 receptions in 2008 with Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing him the ball. You need a QB to be successful as a WR, that's just a fact of life in the NFL. Why did Roddy White all of a sudden become a dynamo in 2008? Two words: Matt Ryan.

And just for reference, Evans had only 100 fewer yards and the same # of TD catches in 2008 as Wes Welker, who made the pro bowl. He also had 100 more yards and only 1 fewer TD catch in 2008 as T.J. Houshmandzedah, who also made the pro bowl.

Evans' career yards-per-reception is 15.8, higher than that of Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Terrell Owens, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Reggie Wayne, Jerry Rice, Andre Reed, Cris Carter, and Tim Brown.

I think he's doing ok considering his QB situation.

Tim,

As much as I try to take rumors and speculations with a grain of salt, I keep hearing more and more about coaches not wanting to come to Buffalo because Ralph is known to be a meddling owner. I'm hearing it enough and see so many coaches not even be interested that it's geting hard not to believe. I understand that Buffalo as a city may not be the greatest city in the world to live, but it's not Detroit, that's for sure.

So what do you think the reason is for these snubs? These opportunities don't always come along and the pay raise is nice. There has to be something to it. What are you hearing and seeing.

So Tim... I'm of the crowd that thinks no good GM's or coaches ever want to come here because Ralph is always meddling in their affairs. They have to get approval from him for things and cannot just do their job.

So do you think Ralph knows that we resent him for this? Would any in the media ever risk Ralph's wrath by asking him a question about this topic.

Bonus half-serious question: How can we get Ralph to apologize about Flutie and end the curse that decision put on the team????

Edit: oops this is the same as the question above. You can just answer it one time :devil:

So Tim... I'm of the crowd that thinks no good GM's or coaches ever want to come here because Ralph is always meddling in their affairs. They have to get approval from him for things and cannot just do their job.

So do you think Ralph knows that we reset him for this? Would any in the media ever risk Ralph wrath by asking him a question such as about this topic.

Bonus half-serious question: How can we get Ralph to apologize about Flutie and end the curse that decision put on the team????

Edit: oops this is the same as the question above. You can just answer it one time :devil:

I'd be curious to know how many GM's around the league don't have to report to their owner. I'd be surprised if it was many at all, especially about a decision as to who will be the next HC.

I think there's a large element of 'myth' about the degree of interference Ralph runs. Until he canned him, he pretty much didn't interfere with Jauron at all. Same with Levy. If you own an NFL franchise for 50 years, there will be occasions when you are going to have to 'step in', but hoiw many of those were either unwarranted, or reliably reported?

Wilson's problem, has been in making poor choices, rather than in 'interference'.

Tim,

I read your recent note questioning where the faith that Cowher is still coming despite countless reports to the contrary. I guess I'm still questioning why we haven't heard from the man himself. If I'm his agent, I'm loving that the Bills are getting denied left and right and if we've had a conversation I keep putting it out through back channels that they aren't coming without officially closing the door. It's not as if Cowher doesn't have a vehicle to be asked the question to publicly put it to bed and it isn't as if CBS would mind being the network to break that sort of news to people. Every report I've heard, Schefter, Peter King, Mortensen, etc. have all been on other networks and from "sources". I don't understand what Cowher has to gain from not coming out and flat saying he's not interested if it's not, at least in part, a negotiating strategy.

His representation had to be hoping for a bidding war this off-season and were anticipating Fox, Coughlin, and Raheem Morris (if not Wade Phillips, etc.) getting the axe. That didn't happen and very quickly the Bills became the only girl without a prom date. That's not an ideal situation to be in. Ralph is cheap, he saw that Shanahan only got 7 mil a year from Daddy Warbucks in Washington and Pete Carroll only got the same from Seattle so what HAD been a 10 million dollar market at Thanksgiving quickly became a 7 million dollar market and Ralph always likes to buy on sale. Cowher's reps were then left with no real jobs to parlay against the Bills so the only remaining tactic was to delay and make the Bills uncomfortable so they would bid against themselves.

Now, we'll really see how much of these interviews and declines are jousting if the Vikings lose tomorrow. Nix gushed over Frazier and if he's not hired this week (if available) you'll get an indicator that it was posturing.

Tim, I read your article "Maybe Jets shouldn't worry about Rivers," and while I don't want to be accused of "lacking the brainpower to comprehend unorthodox thought," the article by George Bretherton you based your blurb on was really terrible. Bretherton suggests that shutting down SD's run game will ultimately lead to the defeat of the Chargers (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/15/is-making-san-diego-throw-the-jets-best-path-to-a-victory/), but he fails to mention what a poor running attack the Chargers have had this entire season, yet still going 13-3. Tomlinson and Sproles combined to barely surpass 1000 yards, and in the loss to the Broncos, Tomlinson rushed for 70 yards (his fourth highest total of the season - he didn't hit the 100 yard mark one game this season even though he started all but two games). Aside from Indianapolis, San Diego had the worst rushing attack in terms of yardage in the entire league (which sort of contradicts the old addage that you need to be able to run the ball to win games in the National Football League, but that's a different conversation altogether). They managed to beat Washington with only 50 yards on the ground, Dallas with only 73, Cincinatti with only 70, Oakland with 77. Rather, it seems San Diego only gets beaten in shootouts: the three teams that beat them having averaged 34.3 points while the Chargers, 4th in the league in points, averaged 28.4 over the course of the season(never once scoring below 20 points this season), 25.7 in those three losses. So while it seems unlikely to all of us that the Jets can win in a shootout (aside from the 38-0 drubbing against Oakland they haven't put up 30 in a single game this season), statistics seem to point to that as a way of beating the Chargers than merely shutting down an already anemic running attack. Your thoughts?

Tim, I read your article "Maybe Jets shouldn't worry about Rivers," and while I don't want to be accused of "lacking the brainpower to comprehend unorthodox thought," the article by George Bretherton you based your blurb on was really terrible. Bretherton suggests that shutting down SD's run game will ultimately lead to the defeat of the Chargers (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/15/is-making-san-diego-throw-the-jets-best-path-to-a-victory/), but he fails to mention what a poor running attack the Chargers have had this entire season, yet still going 13-3. Tomlinson and Sproles combined to barely surpass 1000 yards, and in the loss to the Broncos, Tomlinson rushed for 70 yards (his fourth highest total of the season - he didn't hit the 100 yard mark one game this season even though he started all but two games). Aside from Indianapolis, San Diego had the worst rushing attack in terms of yardage in the entire league (which sort of contradicts the old addage that you need to be able to run the ball to win games in the National Football League, but that's a different conversation altogether). They managed to beat Washington with only 50 yards on the ground, Dallas with only 73, Cincinatti with only 70, Oakland with 77. Rather, it seems San Diego only gets beaten in shootouts: the three teams that beat them having averaged 34.3 points while the Chargers, 4th in the league in points, averaged 28.4 over the course of the season(never once scoring below 20 points this season), 25.7 in those three losses. So while it seems unlikely to all of us that the Jets can win in a shootout (aside from the 38-0 drubbing against Oakland they haven't put up 30 in a single game this season), statistics seem to point to that as a way of beating the Chargers than merely shutting down an already anemic running attack. Your thoughts?

You're absolutely correct - the Chargers haven't needed to run to win all season.

Tim,

Is there anyone left to take the Bills job? What about Marriucci? Or how about someone from the college ranks? Is Trestman at all interested?

Mariucci looks like he might be headed to Oakland.

I spoke with Trestman recently and he said he was happy in Montreal. I'm skeptical, but he has no reason to lie. He's always been a straight shooter with me.

Another fine reporting job. Does anyone at ESPN have sources that aren't other reporters? The credibility is so shot that you need to stop giving us "anonymous" sources. No one believes any of you guys anymore.

That's an interesting take. I have no idea what you're referring to, but I thank you for sharing.

You're absolutely right. The only way to beat San Diego is in a shootout.

Tim,

I read your recent note questioning where the faith that Cowher is still coming despite countless reports to the contrary. I guess I'm still questioning why we haven't heard from the man himself. If I'm his agent, I'm loving that the Bills are getting denied left and right and if we've had a conversation I keep putting it out through back channels that they aren't coming without officially closing the door. It's not as if Cowher doesn't have a vehicle to be asked the question to publicly put it to bed and it isn't as if CBS would mind being the network to break that sort of news to people. Every report I've heard, Schefter, Peter King, Mortensen, etc. have all been on other networks and from "sources". I don't understand what Cowher has to gain from not coming out and flat saying he's not interested if it's not, at least in part, a negotiating strategy.

His representation had to be hoping for a bidding war this off-season and were anticipating Fox, Coughlin, and Raheem Morris (if not Wade Phillips, etc.) getting the axe. That didn't happen and very quickly the Bills became the only girl without a prom date. That's not an ideal situation to be in. Ralph is cheap, he saw that Shanahan only got 7 mil a year from Daddy Warbucks in Washington and Pete Carroll only got the same from Seattle so what HAD been a 10 million dollar market at Thanksgiving quickly became a 7 million dollar market and Ralph always likes to buy on sale. Cowher's reps were then left with no real jobs to parlay against the Bills so the only remaining tactic was to delay and make the Bills uncomfortable so they would bid against themselves.

Now, we'll really see how much of these interviews and declines are jousting if the Vikings lose tomorrow. Nix gushed over Frazier and if he's not hired this week (if available) you'll get an indicator that it was posturing.

How many agents have we heard from? Have we heard from Gruden's? Weis'? Harbaugh's? Holmgren's?

Chances are we have -- in a way. That's where you get "sources." And then you need to discern who has the best sources, people who write for church bulletins and have cable-access TV shows, or connected reporters at newspapers and major TV networks.

Tim,

With the recent snubbing of the Bills by a large amount of potential HC candidates, has Ralph Wilson finally realized how poorly his franchise is viewed around the league (in large part bc of his influence)? I understand that at his age, the likely answer is no. But, I have to imagine that those around him are coming to terms with the kind of disaster they are dealing with at 1 Bills Drive. I hope this is a positive development that will lead the Bills to get back on track. But, somehow, I doubt it.

I agree. You would think this has been some sort of wakeup call. But we don't really know what's going on with Ralph.

Hey Tim -

Ive never heard of you and I watch/read more on sports than the common man. However you seem very well respected. My question is:

What are your thoughts on the Bills QB situation next year? Do they pick-up a vet..and if so, who might be of interest? As far as drafting a rookie, what are your thougts on the Bills picking up Tony Pike out of Cincy?

Thanks

I've never professed to be a draft guru. Saturday is my travel day during the season, so I don't get to see as much college football as I would like. I can't project any prospect's NFL career, especially at that position. Brian Brohm was the No. 1 player in Mel Kiper's mock draft a couple years ago.

As for the Bills' QB position in general, I think it's manageable for the short term, but they don't have a franchise quarterback on the roster right now.

How many agents have we heard from? Have we heard from Gruden's? Weis'? Harbaugh's? Holmgren's?

Chances are we have -- in a way. That's where you get "sources." And then you need to discern who has the best sources, people who write for church bulletins and have cable-access TV shows, or connected reporters at newspapers and major TV networks.

Tim, I totally get that. The difference between all of those people and Cowher is that Cowher is on TV every single week in a format where Casserly or anyone could literally turn to him and ask the question. I don't get why CBS is letting all the other networks take the credit for their data mining when the "source" is sitting there on their air. I also see a major difference between a person's agent saying they are not interested and the actual person saying it. When the agent says it that means "Come back with more money", when the person says it it's usually true, unless you are Nick Saban.

I'm not saying the reports are inaccurate. I'm just saying that it's strange to not just put it to bed if you aren't at all interested and help your current employer with the lead rather than continue to make the Adam Schefter's of the world look brilliant by having your agent leak to every other news source on Earth.

Every time there's a rumor or update or report from another news source it drives web traffic and viewership/listenership as every insane Bills fan (myself included) rushes to read it or pay for ESPN Insider to read it. Why ISN'T CBS taking any of that traffic, or at least killing it for ABC/ESPN and Fox?

It's the only leverage they have and they are smart to use it. It also explains the denials a little better. If the agent clique knows that these interviews are posturing why would they want to send their clients in for BS interviews only to get turned down? It's better for their own coaching mystique to come up with some other reason not to go as opposed to having the note "passed over for the Buffalo job" on their Wiki for life.

I acknowledge that it's a leap to believe this, but it's not that big a leap. I was hoping the Vikings would lose this week just so we'd find out. Oh well...