Bills not going anywhere

Munch

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4805579

Schumer: Bills not eyeing relocation

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer has been reassured by Bills owner Ralph Wilson that he has no intention of entertaining offers to relocate the team to Los Angeles.

In a statement released Thursday, the New York Democrat said Wilson told him by phone that he's had no contact with a real estate firm seeking to lure a team to L.A. Even if contacted, Wilson would have "absolutely no consideration of entertaining" any offers, Schumer said.

This week, Majestic Realty Co. targeted as many as seven NFL franchises -- including the Bills -- as potential candidates to play in a new stadium some 25 miles east of Los Angeles.

The Bills have secured their hold in western New York by signing a $78 million deal to play annual games in Toronto.

Sorry LA!

well, if Charles wanted to make headlines, that would've been the route to go.

jw

this...but this is very savvy politically. He continues to solidify the bills nation's backing and can blame ralph if it goes bad. btw I'm on his side on most issues, go chuck.

SO WHAT?!

This news means diddly squat in the grand scheme of things... Ralph will not own the team for too much longer, and who pray then will have enough cash to keep the team in Buffalo? Not too many... this is fluff news and not worth a darn to me.

I want the NFL to guarantee we don't leave.. THEN that is real news.

I got a feeling Jimbo is gonna be the owner once Ralph is gone. He has been around alot lately...maybe learning the ropes from Ralphie a little bit? We will see in the near future.

SO WHAT?!

This news means diddly squat in the grand scheme of things... Ralph will not own the team for too much longer, and who pray then will have enough cash to keep the team in Buffalo? Not too many... this is fluff news and not worth a darn to me.

The whole thing is fluff news. The initial report of some real estate agent "targeting" seven NFL franchises is a publicity stunt to get some attention, guaranteeing lots of reaction by the fans of the "targeted" teams.

But in the age of internet pay per clicks, lots of attention is just what the guy wants.

I'd feel better if Schumer were a billionaire that wanted to own a team in WNY, but this is exactly what I suspected when I saw the idiotic article yesterday. The LA people might want to target teams that want to move or need to move. The Bills are neither. If Ralph wanted the Bills to be in LA, he would take them there himself and realize the jump in value. As it is, he is happy to keep them in Buffalo where they enjoy great support and make money playing in a stadium that has ZERO debt load. These LA guys are desperate to buy a team from a smaller market that does not cost as much, because they will need to pay off the debt on that stadium and if they are forced to pony up for expansion team, it will be over a billion for the team alone. They might no be able to pay that much for a stadium and team. Good luck LA a**holes. You are not getting the Bills.

well, if Charles wanted to make headlines, that would've been the route to go.

jw

They say the most dangerous place to be in DC is between Chuck Schumer and a camera. Not my words, but a big thanks to old Chuck for telling us what we already know.

and Nick Saban will not be the Alabama head coach

And Jerry Jones wouldn't think of spending so much money on a stadium that it will affect his football operations.

No matter what team lands in LA, they're landing there with a pile of debt, something that's very expensive right now.

SO WHAT?!

A so what is that Schumer sees enough of a % in currying good favor with WNYers (and actually NYS taxpayers as a whole as the Bills are the only NFL team which plays games and collects sales tax on tickets in NYS since both the Gints and the Jests play in NJ).

Schumer's expressed interest in keeping the team here really opens the door to the same card politicians in Cleveland played to avoid the initial fate of Colts fans of seeing their team move out of town by threatening the NFLs limited antitrust exemption if they leave Buffalo (and NYS) twisting in the wind by moving the team.

Though some refuse to acknowledge it, threats to this exemption is a real tool to get the NFL not to simply screw the Bills.

Will it be a tough fight when Mr. Ralph dies and there may be a high bidder with big bucks from LA or Qatsr?

You bet it will ne.

However, the idiot politicians in Cleveland (ranked as the third poorest city in America beating out even Buffalo for poverty) gave showed the idiot WNY politicos a card to play which gives them some power in this tough battle.

Add to this tool, that though Mr. Ralph says this property will go to the highest bidder, while his will and wishes are powerful tools he will be inconveniently dead and other voices will have a say in this outcome.

For example, while the team may in fact go to the highest bidder as Mr. Ralph tries to direct, the reality is the team will only be sold to the highest APPROVED bidder, Thus even if some swami from Qatar will offer the largest did for the team which he as owner plans to now call them the Dubai Bin Ladens, if he is unable to get the approval of 75% of the owners the high bidder is not gonna get the team.

Eveyone knows that NFL owners generally vote to go where the money is.

This is the reason why Mr. Ralph got outvoted so badly in accepting the current CBA. Yes, principle dictated that the CBA be voted down by the owners as Gene Upshaw and the NFLPA set the terms (as negotiations began Upshaw said the deal needed to include the entire gross receipts and no designated gross was acceptabel, Further he declared the new CBA needed to guarantee the players % cut of the total receipts needed to start with a 6.

The NFL met this dictate by accepting a salary cap which dedicated 60.5% of the gross to the players.

What folks need to realize is that the NFL owners realized 40% of a ton of money better than even 1000% of nothing unless they made a deal. They caved.

Likewise the individual owner cut of a transfer fee if the Bills are sold and move is likely 1/31st of a the tramsfer cost. This amount of money though huge to us normal folk is really chump change compared to $ bought in by the antitrust exemption, by there being a lot more # with the league focusing on stability with existing markets while it expands overseas.

I am virtually certain the Bills will not move while Mr. Ralph lives and even after he dies the betting should be on stability rather than change.

It will be a tough fight but Buffalo can win it.