Assume the Position

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the same logic must apply to Cowher then?

Duh, ya' think??

The only difference is Cowher has not closed the door. It's obvious Cowher wants to coach but there is nothing out there but us now. The only other possible gigs are the Raiders (the only NFL job worse than the Bills) and Cleveland which would mean having to fight with another ego in Holmgren. If Cowher goes back to CBS this year, he may have to wait another year if the NFL decides to lock out the players.

Cowher knows all that. That's why he hasn't said no....yet.

PTR

If you go on a date, do you tell the chick to pick you up?

Was Russ trying to get a date with Mike Shanahan? If so, that could explain Mike's lack of interest in the job. :wallbash:

In most hiring situations, the candidate is flown in for the interview. That let's him meet the entire team, get a tour of the facilities, see the general area, look at real-estate, check out schools, etc. It's not possible to fly the community to the candidate and most employers fully understand that.

Personally, I would never fly to a candidate's place to interview (beg) him for a hire because it is backwards and would be a huge, violently flailed red flag that the candidate doesn't really want the job and doesn't consider working with us important. I owe it to the rest of my team to show some pride and self-respect, and no single person eclipses the entire organization.

A lot of these moves you mentioned were self-inflicted, like I said, the worst organization in football. They seem to lead the league ever year in IR numbers and I don't think it is bad luck.

I agree, a lot of the moves were self-inflicted and/or the result of bad coaching, training, or decisions. Hence the reason why I said look at what has happened the past 7 days. They hired a real GM (regardless of your opinion on Nix, Brandon wasn't a real GM) and fired the entire coaching staff. We're all hoping they hire a good coaching staff. No one will know until the team takes the field next year. But if you want to go ahead and assume the position now...

Was Russ trying to get a date with Mike Shanahan? If so, that could explain Mike's lack of interest in the job. :nana:

In most hiring situations, the candidate is flown in for the interview. That let's him meet the entire team, get a tour of the facilities, see the general area, look at real-estate, check out schools, etc. It's not possible to fly the community to the candidate and most employers fully understand that.

Personally, I would never fly to a candidate's place to interview (beg) him for a hire because it is backwards and would be a huge, violently flailed red flag that the candidate doesn't really want the job and doesn't consider working with us important. I owe it to the rest of my team to show some pride and self-respect, and no single person eclipses the entire organization.

Thanks, man.

Another point to mention is that historically speaking, as far as I have ever read, a candidate always flies or is flown into a potential team.

It just seems to me, as you mentioned, that ALL of the candidates (even the ones not currently employed) don't care to travel to the Bills to interview and instead the Bills are flying everywhere to meet with them.

It may or may not be league rules for an employed coach (which I don't believe it to be), but I ain't buying it.

It appears to me that something doth stink in Bills land. Something the rest of the league knows but the Bills are not admitting to.

I agree, a lot of the moves were self-inflicted and/or the result of bad coaching, training, or decisions. Hence the reason why I said look at what has happened the past 7 days. They hired a real GM (regardless of your opinion on Nix, Brandon wasn't a real GM) and fired the entire coaching staff. We're all hoping they hire a good coaching staff. No one will know until the team takes the field next year. But if you want to go ahead and assume the position now...

Well, as of right now, Guy and Modrak- the architects of our decline in talent this decade- are still employed at OBD.

Overdork is still in charge of the money.

Brandon, the marketing guy-turned GM- turned CEO, is now in charge of the whole enchilada.

Nix is a bright spot and I'm interested again. Losing the coaching staff is nice (though I would have like a definitive firing of the staff, and not this PC garbage).

But most of this inept front office is still in place, they have just been reshuffled.

I'd like to see Guy fired before May so that we can get his replacement before Mini camps start. I'd like to see Modrak, if not fired, given an ultimatum of producing in the next season or he is out. I'd like to see some scouting turnover. And if Overdork is still the hidden power broker of the Bills, then I am concerned that the front office moves are mere window dressing.

I agree with Pass The Pipe

Russ Brandon is a poison to this team. Along with Overdorf and Littman. Ralph will never get rid of these clowns which makes him the ultimate poison. We will just continue to be jerked around until Ralph dies and we get the ultimate reward for sticking it out: The team will move to maximize Ralph's family fortune.

I wish I was wrong. The Nix "hiring" and Brondon's "promotion" reinforces this. I was watching Peter King on PTI yesterday and he said flat out..... that A HC Candidate, high on teams' lists, flat out doesnt like the Nix hiring and that takes away from the attractiveness of the position.

If Cowher signs here, I think that I will be completely proven wrong. It means they actually do want to win and were able to prove to Cowher that winning is the priority. I think the main reason we cannot land a good coach or GM is because winning isnt a large priority here.

So I am not expecting it. Our new HC will just be someone desperate for a shot at HC.

Well, as of right now, Guy and Modrak- the architects of our decline in talent this decade- are still employed at OBD.

Overdork is still in charge of the money.

Brandon, the marketing guy-turned GM- turned CEO, is now in charge of the whole enchilada.

Nix is a bright spot and I'm interested again. Losing the coaching staff is nice (though I would have like a definitive firing of the staff, and not this PC garbage).

But most of this inept front office is still in place, they have just been reshuffled.

I'd like to see Guy fired before May so that we can get his replacement before Mini camps start. I'd like to see Modrak, if not fired, given an ultimatum of producing in the next season or he is out. I'd like to see some scouting turnover. And if Overdork is still the hidden power broker of the Bills, then I am concerned that the front office moves are mere window dressing.

My hunch is that Guy and Modrak will either be marginalized or gone. Brandon will let Nix handle personnel and he'll focus on the business side. Overdorf is a non-factor.

Bend over and grab your collective ankles because the big one is coming commando style from OBD within the next week or two. I have a feeling last week was only a tea-bagging with the Nix hiring compared to what is going to happen next. I can not believe the constituents of this destitute organization keep on digging even though rock bottom has been hit a long time ago. Forget the pipe dream of Cowher or Billick, it will never happen. Does anybody realize Shanahan took a three million dollar pay cut per year ($15 mil over 5 yrs) to join Snyder’s Third Reich (Buffalo’s supposed $10 mil. per yr. offer)? Let’s see, a jackass of an owner, the Modrak and Guy comedy act, a Billy Mays clone as CEO, a 70 year wildcard as the “football man,” a dilapidated stadium, a roster that would be challenged in the Big East Conference, no nationally televised games, daily headlines from liquored up billionaires claiming they are going to buy your team, 7 home games a season, and nowhere for the wife to spend money or get a tan and we wonder why Brandon and company are always flying to interview the candidate instead of the other way around?

I can careless about the ESPN Power ratings because this is the worst team in the NFL and statistics prove it. Brandon has been part of the hiring of Jauron, has not made one playoff appearance, traded a now three time Pro Bowl 27 year-old left tackle away, drafted Aaron Maybin (honestly, the worst pick I can ever recall), signed free agents like Fowler, Dockery, and Walker, supervised other horrid drafts like Ellis/Whitner/Lynch/Hardy, led the league more than once in IR fatalities, and what does Wilson do, promotes the man! This is like promoting the skipper of the Exxon Valdez to Admiral of the U.S. Navy or replacing the Federal Reserve Chairman, Ben Bernanke, with the CEO of GM or Chrysler. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised given this is the same guy that fired Polan, Butler, and A.J. Smith (one is dead, RIP, the other two are permanent fixtures in the January football sweepstakes)?

I see many of you have bought into Buddy’s gee I am an old football guy routine. I, on the other hand, am very concerned with what I have seen and heard so far: fires entire staff with no head coach nailed down (maybe Brandon thinks he can rehire them on the cheap like Gibran Hamden??), apparently was present when the Maybin card was sent up to commissioner Goodell (probably had a senior moment given he is six years short of the average male life expectancy in the U.S.) (I do give him credit for at least trying to distance himself from that move), and says at his presser he needs an experienced coach to turn this thing around, however his first two interviews are anything but experienced and both are Tampa 2 guys, which isn’t exactly cold weather power football?

Are people starting to get my drift that another OBD circle jerk is about to be sprung?

The only billboard we should be posting is begging Ed Roski Jr. to take this dead carcass off of the great city of Buffalo’s hands. I recommend the air traffic controller wannabe on this site change his focus to u-haul vans headed to LA for which we should be celebrating!

You should just quit being as Bills fan then. Probably would be best for your overall health and well being.

By the way get it right on Wilson. Polian quit. He quit because of Wilson and Littman's meddling but he did quit. He was not fired.

Butler quit. He quit because he could not face cutting all his players in order to get out of the salary cap hell that he himnself created. Also, his last few drafts were quite bad by the way and his relationship with Ralph had become strained due to the Wade Phillips situation.

AJ Smith? He quit too. He wanted to stay with Butler.

Also -- releasing a coaching staff is a normal courtesy afforded to assistant coaches when the HC has been canned. It is done to help them find another job and is look upon favorably in the coaching community. To bad we lose April and a few others but he was gone anyway.

Peters - no excuse there. This organization blew that one. I don't understand how they could justify paying mediocre Dockery and Walker huge salaries but not pay Peters to market value? Huge mistake.

Nix - I want to give him a chance. Lets see what he does about the coaching situation and this years draft.

Modrak - I wish I knew if he had anything to do with the final draft selections. I understand his position is to evaluate the data obtained from the scouts, and rack and stack the players by grade. The actual selection of the players ... I think there is a huge lack of acountability here. Too many hands in the soup for too long. The inner circle concensus approach is flawed.

Guy - same comments as Modrak. I think he evaluates and grades but does not select. Who makes the call on the players we actually sign? When Donohoe was around we made some good picks ups (not all), since then they have been mostly horrible ones.

The common denominator in all of this disfunction is Wilson. I like him for keeping the team in Buffalo but he has always been below average in football matters. I have been watching his teams since 1965.

Bend over and grab your collective ankles because the big one is coming commando style from OBD within the next week or two. I have a feeling last week was only a tea-bagging with the Nix hiring compared to what is going to happen next. I can not believe the constituents of this destitute organization keep on digging even though rock bottom has been hit a long time ago. Forget the pipe dream of Cowher or Billick, it will never happen. Does anybody realize Shanahan took a three million dollar pay cut per year ($15 mil over 5 yrs) to join Snyder's Third Reich (Buffalo's supposed $10 mil. per yr. offer)? Let's see, a jackass of an owner, the Modrak and Guy comedy act, a Billy Mays clone as CEO, a 70 year wildcard as the "football man," a dilapidated stadium, a roster that would be challenged in the Big East Conference, no nationally televised games, daily headlines from liquored up billionaires claiming they are going to buy your team, 7 home games a season, and nowhere for the wife to spend money or get a tan and we wonder why Brandon and company are always flying to interview the candidate instead of the other way around?

I can careless about the ESPN Power ratings because this is the worst team in the NFL and statistics prove it. Brandon has been part of the hiring of Jauron, has not made one playoff appearance, traded a now three time Pro Bowl 27 year-old left tackle away, drafted Aaron Maybin (honestly, the worst pick I can ever recall), signed free agents like Fowler, Dockery, and Walker, supervised other horrid drafts like Ellis/Whitner/Lynch/Hardy, led the league more than once in IR fatalities, and what does Wilson do, promotes the man! This is like promoting the skipper of the Exxon Valdez to Admiral of the U.S. Navy or replacing the Federal Reserve Chairman, Ben Bernanke, with the CEO of GM or Chrysler. I guess we shouldn't be surprised given this is the same guy that fired Polan, Butler, and A.J. Smith (one is dead, RIP, the other two are permanent fixtures in the January football sweepstakes)?

I see many of you have bought into Buddy's gee I am an old football guy routine. I, on the other hand, am very concerned with what I have seen and heard so far: fires entire staff with no head coach nailed down (maybe Brandon thinks he can rehire them on the cheap like Gibran Hamden??), apparently was present when the Maybin card was sent up to commissioner Goodell (probably had a senior moment given he is six years short of the average male life expectancy in the U.S.) (I do give him credit for at least trying to distance himself from that move), and says at his presser he needs an experienced coach to turn this thing around, however his first two interviews are anything but experienced and both are Tampa 2 guys, which isn't exactly cold weather power football?

Are people starting to get my drift that another OBD circle jerk is about to be sprung?

The only billboard we should be posting is begging Ed Roski Jr. to take this dead carcass off of the great city of Buffalo's hands. I recommend the air traffic controller wannabe on this site change his focus to u-haul vans headed to LA for which we should be celebrating!

This is a LEGENDARY negative post, and I know something about negative posts :nana:

I disagree. He has lurked around the football side of things for some time now and he hasn't made a positive difference. Typically people that make positive contributions or add value to organizations get promoted. Brandon is nothing more than a RW yes man. Also, this team has always made money because of the fanatical fan base, which is the problem I have been arguing all along, stop buying tickets and this thing will correct itself fast!

Brandon is the Waylon Smithers of OBD. As long as Ralph (C. Montgomery Burns) is still around, he's going to need a yes-man to carry out his demands. And his chief demand is to be profitable, which is where Underdorf helps.

The coach search will have more impact on the future of this team than any other. A GM isn't especially visible during the off-season, at least when compared to the HC. Buffalo fans have seen almost every type of coach since 2001, so if the Bills try to sell a "hot" assistant as their next guy, the exodus will begin.

The Bills want to wait to take their time and cover all bases in hiring a new head coach....why? They know where the weakness are and what they need to correct them, or do they?

All this talk of hiring defensive coaches for the head coaching position is making me :nana:

The Bills are 25th in offense or worse for 10 years now...every QB they bring in eventually falls on their face because of poor coaching.

They can't find a way to get the running game to work so they continuously force the QB to try and win games.

FIX THE OFFENSE !!!

If they had moved quicker they could have had Charlie Weiss as OC to run the offense and help develop the QB's, he does have a history with some scrub named Tom Brady.

OHHHH, I had forgotten...this is the Buffalo Bills! So after all the smoke clears surrounding Bill Cowher they will hire Jim Haslett :wallbash:

The guy that has his fingerprints all over every contract is a "non-factor"? Really?

The negotiator is the messenger and executor of his/her organization's strategy. If the philosophy is "we want this guy, but don't want to pay over x $" or "this guy has the ability to be our franchise OT, make it happen", then the negotiator is expected to deliver on that. We have to give Buddy Nix the opportunity to change the mindset at OBD to that of a winning football organization that retains its star players and builds through the draft.