Defensive Draft Targets...

With all the uncertainty that surrounds the Bills currently there are a things that are certain, whoever is the coach will want/need to drastically improve the lines on this team (front seven on Defense).

The Bills were 30rd against the run this season 156.2 yards per game at a 4.7 yards per carry average

The Bills registered 32 sacks of opponents. This was tied with 5 other teams for 18th in the league.

OT, DT, LB, DE are the 4 positions I would target first and foremost this April, below are my defensive prospects for DT and LB. If you have any prospects you like I will dd them, or if you have any more thoughts on the mentioned I will update.

For the record s badly as we need an OT, I would like the Bills to select McClain and find a way to get Terrence Cody in the late first or early 2nd. I think the two will have an immediate impact on the defense, and will also allow others to lay at their more natural position.

Defensive Tackles

Gerald McCoy

Oklahoma

projects top 5

In all likelihood McCoy will be gone before the Bills select at pick #9.

Terrance Cody

Alabama 6'5'' 365lbs

The guy is n absolute monster at 6'5" 365lbs. He is athletic and has blocked kicks. He is a prototypical 3-4 NT and if we will be changing to a 3-4 defense for next year then I see him as a must get. He is projected as a late 1st round pick in the 20's. Paired with Kyle Williams the Bills would have a solid interior line combo for years to come. This would cause Stroud to move to a DE position.

Dan Williams

Tennessee 6'3'' 327lbs.

Projects late 1st rounder

Marvin Austin

North Carolina - 6'3'' 305 lbs.

projects 3rd round

Strong against the run, but lackluster in collapsing the passing pocket

Linebackers

Rolando McClain

Alabama 6'4'' 256lbs.

projects Top Half Round One.

He would be the starting middle linebacker from day one, and Poz could slide to the outside. Supposed 4.6 in the forty.

Bruce Carter

North Carolina 6'3'' 225lbs

Slightly undersized for my liking

Eric Norwood

South Carolina - 6'0'' 252lbs.

projects late round 2 early round 3

Plays the OLB position very well gets after the QB (South Carolina career leader in sacks and tackles for loss)

If the Bills have to draft 7 QBs to make sure we have the person we need leading our franchise, then that is what they should do. It matters very little what other positions you draft if you don'thave a good QB...you aren't going anywhere...

You get a better result more often with a good QB and a crappy rest of team versus a good rest of team and a crappy QB...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two words Keith Ellison. He sucked from day one and even though he didn't play all the games he represents all that is wrong with the current Bills squad. Undersized borderline NFL players being counted on to be quality starters. Let Crowell and Peters and Pat Williams go and replace them with undersized and more inexperienced players and look what you get. Does any other team start Keith Ellison? Does any other team have Wendling and Corto on their roster????

1st round should be a LT no doubt about it. Anthony Davis out of Rutgers or Bruce Campbell out of Maryland. Okung will be long gone by pick 9. Once we get the O-line in order we can focus on the D. I think our 2nd and 3rd round picks should be spent on the front 7.

Now it all depends on if the Bills get Bill Cowher or another coach that wants to go to a 3-4. If we go to a 3-4 the Bills will likely try and get a DT in round 2 to try and anchor the position. In round 3 and 4 the Bills will likely take either an MLB or OLB (Linebacker depth is so important in a 3-4). Now I would like to see the Bills try and get Terrance Cody But even if they could trade up into the late 1st he would likely be gone so I think that a guy like Dan Williams is a possibility in early round 2 for Buffalo.

get Mclain and Cody, sign Mankins, draft oline rounds 3-5, and get back a healthy Wood and Butler. I would love that offseason!

Did you see Woods injury? yeah...lets get the o-line in rounds 3 and 5 and you might like the offseason...the regular season would suck though. At least you'd get to see a lot of McClain and Cody as they would be on the field 2/3 of the time or more. This is HOW many years we have failed to address the O-Line? What was that definition of insanity...doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

With all the uncertainty that surrounds the Bills currently there are a things that are certain, whoever is the coach will want/need to drastically improve the lines on this team (front seven on Defense).

The Bills were 30rd against the run this season 156.2 yards per game at a 4.7 yards per carry average

The Bills registered 32 sacks of opponents. This was tied with 5 other teams for 18th in the league.

OT, DT, LB, DE are the 4 positions I would target first and foremost this April, below are my defensive prospects for DT and LB. If you have any prospects you like I will dd them, or if you have any more thoughts on the mentioned I will update.

For the record s badly as we need an OT, I would like the Bills to select McClain and find a way to get Terrence Cody in the late first or early 2nd. I think the two will have an immediate impact on the defense, and will also allow others to lay at their more natural position.

Defensive Tackles

Gerald McCoy

Oklahoma

projects top 5

In all likelihood McCoy will be gone before the Bills select at pick #9.

Terrance Cody

Alabama 6'5'' 365lbs

The guy is n absolute monster at 6'5" 365lbs. He is athletic and has blocked kicks. He is a prototypical 3-4 NT and if we will be changing to a 3-4 defense for next year then I see him as a must get. He is projected as a late 1st round pick in the 20's. Paired with Kyle Williams the Bills would have a solid interior line combo for years to come. This would cause Stroud to move to a DE position.

Dan Williams

Tennessee 6'3'' 327lbs.

Projects late 1st rounder

Marvin Austin

North Carolina - 6'3'' 305 lbs.

projects 3rd round

Strong against the run, but lackluster in collapsing the passing pocket

Linebackers

Rolando McClain

Alabama 6'4'' 256lbs.

projects Top Half Round One.

He would be the starting middle linebacker from day one, and Poz could slide to the outside. Supposed 4.6 in the forty.

Bruce Carter

North Carolina 6'3'' 225lbs

Slightly undersized for my liking

Eric Norwood

South Carolina - 6'0'' 252lbs.

projects late round 2 early round 3

Plays the OLB position very well gets after the QB (South Carolina career leader in sacks and tackles for loss)

I'd like to see the Bills avoid taking a LB early in the 2010 draft for two reasons: 1) there are a lot of other, more critical positions that must be addressed in the near future, and 2) there are some possibilities at LB already on this team.

DE: Aaron Schobel is contemplating retirement. Even if he sticks around for another year, there's no one on the roster who can take his place when he does hang up his cleats. Guys like Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney aren't a whole lot younger than he is. We have no young, up-and-coming DEs in the mix. DE is a position of serious long-term need.

QB: Unless the Bills see Brohm as a potential long-term answer at QB, the QB position should be addressed in the draft. Not necessarily this year (if there's no one worth taking when we pick) but sooner rather than later.

LT: The Bills desperately need to draft a top-tier LT this coming April.

DT: As you point out, there's room for improvement at the DT position. Also, Stroud isn't getting any younger, making DT a position of long-term need.

As for LB: the Bills have several possibilities there. Maybin might be a better fit as a LB than a DE. Scott has potential to be a reasonably solid LB. There are a few other possibilities in the mix as well. The Bills should give things a year to play out at that position while addressing more critical areas where they know there's a need!

Suppose, for example, that at 9th overall the Bills took a stud LT. Then suppose they were to trade away their 2nd and 3rd round picks to get back into the first round to grab a big DT like Cody. Brohm could be given a one year tryout at QB, and Scott, Maybin, or possibly others could be given a tryout at LB, and Steve Johnson a tryout at WR. Cognito could be re-signed, given a starting position at RG, Wood moved to center, and Hangartnar moved to the bench (where he belongs). I'm not saying this would be a perfect solution--some of these experiments will likely fail--but at least it would move the team in the right direction.

Did you see Woods injury? yeah...lets get the o-line in rounds 3 and 5 and you might like the offseason...the regular season would suck though. At least you'd get to see a lot of McClain and Cody as they would be on the field 2/3 of the time or more. This is HOW many years we have failed to address the O-Line? What was that definition of insanity...doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

To your point I saw this in the recap of the Indy game on nfl.com:

"... Buffalo's offense has not ranked in the top 25 in any of the last seven years.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010010300/2...lts@bills/recap

In the note worthy section, I assume they are talking about total yards from scrimmage. I think I would be okay with any impact player on the offensive side of the ball, and/or free agents.

Cognito could be re-signed, given a starting position at RG, Wood moved to center, and Hangartnar moved to the bench (where he belongs). I'm not saying this would be a perfect solution--some of these experiments will likely fail--but at least it would move the team in the right direction.

Is Wood even a lock to ever play again?

As for my dream scenario... it all depends on what defensive system the new coach brings in.

4-3: OT, DT, QB/DE, OLB

3-4: DT, OT, MLB, QB/DE