Has anything really changed at OBD?

gjv001

With Brandon as CEO, and Nix reporting to him , Modrake head of scouting and Guy in charge of Free Agent evaluations, it dosn't appear we have much of a strategic change at OBD. It bothers me a little when Brandon has to bring in Kelley and Thomas to sell his decision. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel the same old PR con job coming out of OBD.

Take is easy, hombre.

As Nix indicated in his press conference, he plans to have meetings ONCE THE SEASON IS DONE with both Modrak and Guy.

Rumors have swirled that he is somewhat pleased with the last 2 drafts (whereby Modrak had greater say), and that Modrak could possibly be retained but that he is most displeased with the horrible track record of John Guy and Guy will be saying goodbye sooner rather than later.

And I am ok with that. I believe in Nix. We need someone better at mining the league for serviceable free agents, not the garbage Guy has been bringing in for the past decade.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not insinuating anything. I presented what Nix said on the process of hiring the next coach and asked a question if it sounded like a "big change" or not.

Are you asking for my opinion? All I can infer for myself is if Nix is going to do the interviews and then recommend a slate of options to the old man for final approval, then it is patently obvious who is making the final thumbs up or down decision.

Now some will probably try to construe that as "being negative", but it isn't. It's fairly typical of big management hirings that the entire management team sign off all the way up to the top. I really have zero problem with it, myself. But, to the original question, I don't think it is a huge change from how things have worked at OBD in the past.

ok, fair enough. To me, the big change will/should be is that a true FO football guy is the one bringing the short list to RW. We haven't had quality at GM for a long time...

I'm reading Brian Billick's latest book, More than A Game, and he admits that's true. However, an owner isn't the person who understands what a coach does, and if he hires a GM to hire the coach, should take the GM's advice. Of course there are financial considerations, but overall the owner cannot micromanage the decision.

maybe an owner doesn't necessarily understand what a coach does, but I agree on the whole.

How was Brandon not empowered to do that as COO before. Usually a COO reports to either the President of the Company or to the CEO. Who did Brandon report to on December 30? How has his job changed, other than now he has a new GM reporting to him? Plus, will the new GM handle all the GM duties? That part hasn't been addressed yet.

you're totally right. My guess is that they did this to help Brandon save face. He could step aside, but gain another step on the ladder. It's pretty clear that his role in football operations is greatly diminished. He has go/no go authority, but using the the coaching decision as an example, it's now up to Nix and his staff to decide who and why. In the past, he would have been in all the meetings, getting his suit wrinkled.

All the GM duties? Different teams have different structures. Some are football only, no business or marketing. Many function more as a President/Football/Office Supplies kinda guy. Or some hybrid of both. There's some good books written on the job experience, but that's from the environment that person came from. I'm trying to say it's hard to really pin down all of what a GM does, since it's all over the map.

you're totally right. My guess is that they did this to help Brandon save face. He could step aside, but gain another step on the ladder. It's pretty clear that his role in football operations is greatly diminished. He has go/no go authority, but using the the coaching decision as an example, it's now up to Nix and his staff to decide who and why. In the past, he would have been in all the meetings, getting his suit wrinkled.

All the GM duties? Different teams have different structures. Some are football only, no business or marketing. Many function more as a President/Football/Office Supplies kinda guy. Or some hybrid of both. There's some good books written on the job experience, but that's from the environment that person came from. I'm trying to say it's hard to really pin down all of what a GM does, since it's all over the map.

and whatever successful NFL teams do, do not expect the Bills to follow that operational structure.

To put it grossly simplified terms, we're speculating on who's list they're working from. Is the candidate list the one that Brandon put together or does Nix put together his own? On the other hand and in the end, what really counts is who they get and not the how. (For me, speculation on the process has to do with Tom Donahoe's comments that fans didn't understand all the limitations and restrictions that he had to contend with when he was doing his HC searches -- was he referring to the "I know him" factor, some bean counter's spreadsheet, or ??)

Ralph did say Nix was in charge of all "the football stuff" and not the business side of things. The obvious question there: which side do contracts fall under, the bean counter or football? So, Nix does not hold the same position Donahoe held as President/GM.

And that is the big unanswered question from OBD and the one answer that will give us a hint of whether this franchise can turn into a winner.

The bottom line is that it is less important whose list they start with than that they all end up on the same page together pretty smoothly.

One almost certainly wants some pushing and shoving between various forces in the braintrust since that is a sign that dynamic ideas are being tossed around and considered. However, in the end its going to be the team that wins this thing and not any one individual or savior. In fact the thing that separates the SB winners from those who "merely" make the playoffs (if only we could merely do this thing) ia that the team is really a TEAM.

The rough and tumble comes together with everyone being fairly happy (or at least equal levels of dissatisfaction) and always moves forward without a lot of individual drama.

In the end it is Mr. Ralph who is gonna be in charge and it is my sense that to toxic relationships he ended up having with Polian, Butler, Phillips, TD, MM and others is the real reason why this team was 0 for a decade in playoff appearances. Jauron deserves a ton of blame for his mediocre job. TD deserves blame for his non-winning record but like it or not neither of these idiots bears responsibility for the majority of the 0 for a decade record.

The best hope for the Bills is that Mr. Ralph himself says Nix is a football man and by clear implication he is not. If Mr. Ralph backs down we have a fighting chance.

To put it grossly simplified terms, we're speculating on who's list they're working from. Is the candidate list the one that Brandon put together or does Nix put together his own? On the other hand and in the end, what really counts is who they get and not the how. (For me, speculation on the process has to do with Tom Donahoe's comments that fans didn't understand all the limitations and restrictions that he had to contend with when he was doing his HC searches -- was he referring to the "I know him" factor, some bean counter's spreadsheet, or ??)

But even if Nix gets to put his list together, we all know it has to run through Brandon before getting to Wilson. At some point, football decisions will reach Brandon's desk for his decision. And that's the part worrisome to most people: Smithers' mentality is dollars and Nix has been charged with rebuilding a winner. Brandon's been around for a long time, and has Wilson's confidence. His mere presence in reporting to RW is something Nix will have to negotiate in his new role.

It comes down to how much influence Nix will have, or whether as TD said, there will be "limitations."

But even if Nix gets to put his list together, we all know it has to run through Brandon before getting to Wilson. At some point, football decisions will reach Brandon's desk for his decision. And that's the part worrisome to most people: Smithers' mentality is dollars and Nix has been charged with rebuilding a winner. Brandon's been around for a long time, and has Wilson's confidence. His mere presence in reporting to RW is something Nix will have to negotiate in his new role.

It comes down to how much influence Nix will have, or whether as TD said, there will be "limitations."

My guess (since we are all guessing) is that this a Mom and Dad situation. Like many traditional families Mom really handles the books day to day and her authorization is required for most expenditures. However, the kids (Nix in this case) can always appeal to Dad who controls the checkbook in the traditional family.

Nix has been empowered by Dad to win the game and when it comes down to a war between Nix and Brandon unless he wants something really crazy Dad is gonna choose what Nix wants.

The CEO sop to Brandon is likely a sop and really as always Mr. Ralph pulls the trigger or does not.

how is this different in any organization?

Players are targeted and contracts have to be offered under the current league and team financial constraints. Whether this comes from one person or two people doesn't really matter. The numbers are the numbers.

Players are targeted and contracts have to be offered under the current league and team financial constraints. Whether this comes from one person or two people doesn't really matter. The numbers are the numbers.

The constraints are the difference. For a made-up nonsense example, we might make a rule that unless we can make 10% margin on our product it will not go to market. Now, if we run the numbers and we can sell x widgets at the price point to make 10% or we can sell 10x widgets at a price point that makes 5%, we could follow our own constraint but we'd be fools.

Certainly each team features a slightly different management structure. Polian is the team president and oversees more than most in Indianapolis. A team like the Chiefs has Pioli as GM with Denny Thum the team president overseeing all non-football operations. Pioli makes the football decision and huddles with Clark Hunt. Here in Buffalo, Nix will report to Brandon, who will then go to RW.

The question is how much control does Nix have over football operations. Brandon's elevation to CEO, which I think can be equated to team president (i.e. day to day ops), means he's overseeing football and business subjects. My opinion is Brandon's background means showing a profit is the more critical objective.

That said, there's a lot that remains to be seen. But each team has a management structure that is built on the owner's management style.

With Brandon as CEO, and Nix reporting to him , Modrake head of scouting and Guy in charge of Free Agent evaluations, it dosn't appear we have much of a strategic change at OBD. It bothers me a little when Brandon has to bring in Kelley and Thomas to sell his decision. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel the same old PR con job coming out of OBD.

I really think we need to be careful about wanting to run Guy and Modrak out of town. Maybe they have done a bad job, but it is really hard to tell. Modrak has had success in other places and I tend to think he is a good man.

As for Guy, I don't think it is really clear cut that he has done a bad job. When Donahoe was here, they brought in some good free agents. London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, and Larry Centers all had their moments.

I suspect that Levy and Jauron had more to do with the failure of recent free agents than did Guy.

Nix should know the inside scoop on Guy and Modrak and whether or not they should be kept.

Certainly each team features a slightly different management structure. Polian is the team president and oversees more than most in Indianapolis. A team like the Chiefs has Pioli as GM with Denny Thum the team president overseeing all non-football operations. Pioli makes the football decision and huddles with Clark Hunt. Here in Buffalo, Nix will report to Brandon, who will then go to RW.

The question is how much control does Nix have over football operations. Brandon's elevation to CEO, which I think can be equated to team president (i.e. day to day ops), means he's overseeing football and business subjects. My opinion is Brandon's background means showing a profit is the more critical objective.

That said, there's a lot that remains to be seen. But each team has a management structure that is built on the owner's management style.

Rewatch the Press Conference. Ralph clearly states, multiple time, that Nix is incharge of all things football. Brandon is in charge of all things non football.

So, Nix will select the players and coaches that he wants. Russ' involement will most likely be limited to salary structures and the administrative aspects of hiring/firing them. Granted if Nix wants to hire someone that want more cash than Russ is approved to spend, they'd have some discussions; but I can't see Russ disapproving the candidates for any other reason.

but the way im reading into it (for no other reason that its the way i HOPE it to be), Nix will have the final say on everything and we're looking at a change... Go Bills!

LOL - Old Ralph is clueless enough to admit that he doesn't pay much attention to who is out there around the league and further states that Brandon doesn't know either. So because they don't know any of the top people, they consider two guys on the staff and go with one of them. Then Ralph implies that it's all luck anyway. So the bottom line is Nix goes from being retired to returning to scouting to being the GM. I don't know, but I would guess that Nix will be the lowest paid GM in the league. How could the research and hiring process be handled any worse, and what have we learned about the Bills hierarchy regarding being out of touch with the NFL (by their own admission)? Wilson's comments provide insight into why this organization is so screwed up, and you think that significant change is coming? And you also think that there will be a complete reversal of decision-making power, with Nix having the final say on everything?

I don't mean to offend you, but you are letting what you wish cloud what has been the closest Wilson will ever come to a confession that he is not really involved that much with the league. Football is just one of his businesses, and obviously not one that he is highly interested in. But he still meddles with the team's decisions and refuses to spend money like most other team owners.

The bottom line is our worst fears are manifested in what just happened. Our only hope now is new ownership that has pride in the team and wants to win, instead of it just being a "cash cow" business that is run "close to the vest."

The bottom line is our worst fears are manifested in what just happened. Our only hope now is new ownership that has pride in the team and wants to win, instead of it just being a "cash cow" business that is run "close to the vest."

:lol:

Nix reports to Mr. Smithers who reports to Mr. Burns.

Watching that PC, I thought RW may have mentioned some 50s and 60s stars a la Burns in the famous Simpsons episode, Homer at the Bat.

Seriously, there hasn't been a house cleaning yet and the anticipated moves are just that.

:lol:

Nix reports to Mr. Smithers who reports to Mr. Burns.

WOW....you just summed that up better than anybody could have!

If heads in the FO roll this week and we see some folks brought in from different teams, then yes things are changing at OBD. But if we don't see heads roll or we see some internal promotions, then it'll be the same old same old. Fresh blood is needed.