Bills' decision to hire Nix draws criticism

Kingfish

I'm calling bull **** on this "unnamed league insider". I'd bet that its a slow day for Florio and he just made that composite from the negative posts on the Bills message board.

You think the "insider" may be someone who could have had a passing interest in the job and wasn't called?

I guess you must have a copy of the job description then? You must know exactly what Nix agreed to do and what roles he be required to fill. You're under the false assumption that all GM duties are the same. Nix isn't Donahoe and to me it seems like he doesn't want to be.

From his comments, he'll will be responsible for hiring a coaching staff and working with them in rebuilding the team. Brandon is clearly the "business" guy. Ralph trusts him and his recent promotion is proof that Ralph is comfortable with him handling the purse strings.

Based on what I've seen so far, it appears to me that Nix is a pure football guy and that Brandon will be running all the non-football duties that some other GM's do. I'm fine with that.

:censored:

The point of the Saban/Alabama link was that you should not simply accept a person's word at face value. Like Nick Saban, Marty Schottenheimer might just decide he is interested in the Bills coaching job. In other words, never say never.

Asserting that you're not interested in the job is a good negotiating ploy and a way to raise the amount the other side is willing to pay.

Schottenheimer may in fact not be interested but if he is, asserting he's not may elevate what he could be paid.

I don't understand the criticisms of commentators and other posters raising concerns about this hire. They seem reasonable in light of the overall circumstances, as do the many positive comments about Nix's contributions to rebuilding San Diego's roster. But this takes us to the real question. Why do the Bills deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point and why do so many posters get so defensive about the criticism of the front office/coaching moves? The Bills have not done anything right in the last 10 years, and all of the people who have criticized the various moves (Levy as GM, Jauron as HC, the Maybin, Whitner and McCargo picks) have turned out to be right. I think Nix would have been great as assistant GM and head of college scouting, but a fresh perspective from outside of the organization was clearly needed in the GM role.

League wide Nix is viewed in the top 5 as a talent evaluator.

What is the criteria for this honor? I know little of Nix other than he was scouting for us...and well, unless his advice fell on deaf ears, he has not set the world on fire has he?

I think there is a lot to like about him, I just wish they would have talked to some more people before jumping on the internal guy. Hopefully he exceeds everyone's wildest imaginations and makes us a competative team...and soon.

Why do the Bills deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point
They don't.

why do so many posters get so defensive about the criticism of the front office/coaching moves?
Low self-esteem. :(

The Bills have not done anything right in the last 10 years, and all of the people who have criticized the various moves (Levy as GM, Jauron as HC, the Maybin, Whitner and McCargo picks) have turned out to be right.
Correct.

I think Nix would have been great as assistant GM and head of college scouting, but a fresh perspective from outside of the organization was clearly needed in the GM role.
I will wait to see who the HC is and if Modrak + Guy are fired. It's still not too late for effective change to take place.

Ah yes, the always credible "un-named" source. Just mere opinion like everyone else's.

I'd ask myself if Nix has EVER been UNSUCCESSFUL at ANY level he's been involved with. To my knowledge he's been good at what he does wherever he's been.

What's to suggest he wouldn't be successful as a GM? Certainly not his track record which, until there is a body of work to judge as a GM, is the ONLY thing one has to predict how he might do.

GO BILLS!!!

well, this the funny part about the criticism. he doesn't actually make a point, he speculates about what might have happened if things happened the way he speculated. if the point is that nix is a bad choice, how about they focus on why from a football perspective he's a bad choice? i'm not a big fan of soap opera journalism.

he also criticized the bills for picking a gm when no one apparently knew they were looking for a gm? well, obviously the bills knew they were looking for a gm.

i have returned to basics. he was a great choice if he wins.

That's actually what I'm looking for. So far, the entire basis of the argument against Nix is that he was an "in house" hire, Ralph didn't look out side the organization, etc. OK. Valid. But, from a football perspective, Nix seems to be pretty solid.

I've also seen criticism that he doesn't have experience. However, some of these same people arre then suggesting we should have looked aat other guys that guess what... don't have experience being a GM.

So, like many, I'll wait to see what some of his first moves are before I get too critical.

I don't understand the criticisms of commentators and other posters raising concerns about this hire. They seem reasonable in light of the overall circumstances, as do the many positive comments about Nix's contributions to rebuilding San Diego's roster. But this takes us to the real question. Why do the Bills deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point and why do so many posters get so defensive about the criticism of the front office/coaching moves? The Bills have not done anything right in the last 10 years, and all of the people who have criticized the various moves (Levy as GM, Jauron as HC, the Maybin, Whitner and McCargo picks) have turned out to be right. I think Nix would have been great as assistant GM and head of college scouting, but a fresh perspective from outside of the organization was clearly needed in the GM role.

It's easy to be right about the bad moves when you criticize every move the Bills make. But, we never talk about the moves that were right yet initially louded as bad, e.g. Byrd.

I've said since day one that it isn't in the interest of Russ Brandon to hire a substantial talent bc he will get pushed out. I'm glad the media is finally picking up on that HUGE factor. And, say what you want about Sullivan's negativity, but both he and PFT had it on point.

Except for the fact that Brandon WASN'T pushed out, and most here think that Sullivan and Florio are full of ****...you're completely right. :(

I don't think every move by the Bills has been panned over the last 10 years. Donahoe, Williams and Mularkey were considered good hires. Many commentators liked the McGahee and Williams picks.

Yes, Byrd had an excellent rookie year, but the number of misses and disappointments is staggering, and the reason why this team is not competitive. Giving one example of criticism for a pick that did not turn out be legitimate is not enough to suggest that the criticism for the overall direction of the team over the last 10 years is not justified.