Coaches that fit the Nix profile

cale

My guess is based on Nix's personality, history and what I think has been the focus of the Bills organization.

1) Bill Cowher (probably less than 50% chance of getting him).

2) Jim Harbaugh

3) Russ Grimm

4) Mike Heimerdinger

5) Ron Rivera

6) Dom Capers

7) Leslie Frazier

8) Mike Zimmer

9) Jim Fassel

10) John Fox (if he is fired/resigns)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Chris Brown: "Nix confirmed that Perry Fewell is a coaching candidate that will be interviewed, though he also said that there is an inherent advantage for men that have been head coaches before in terms of getting the job done, having been a former college head coach himself."

That would leave only Cowher, Capers, Fasell, and Fox from your list. I'd also like to see Billick, Reeves, Callahan, Martz, Dungy, and Gruden added to the list. Let's not settle of we don't have to.

My guess is based on Nix's personality, history and what I think has been the focus of the Bills organization.

2) Jim Harbaugh

3) Russ Grimm

4) Mike Heimerdinger

5) Ron Rivera

6) Dom Capers

7) Leslie Frazier

8) Mike Zimmer

9) Jim Fassel

:censored: We need to consider the real list: guys over 70 years old. Ralph doesn't trust those who don't remember the Charleston (that's a dance they did in the 1920s).

Who cares. After 50 years of cheering and dealing with the Bumbling Bills (not to mention the $$$thousands of $$$), it's time to move onto more enjoyable adventures.

The Bills are moving to Toronto after Mr. Wilson passes...that's a given.

Analyzing the Bills is like having a colonoscophy without being knocked out.

There was only 1 GM worth a hoot in 50 years...Mr. Polian.

There was only 1 coach worth a hoot in 50 years...Marv Levy.

There was only 1 team worth a hoot in 50 years...Kelly & his crowd late 80's & early 90's.

Six years out of 50 SUCKS!!!

:censored::thumbsup::wallbash:

Who cares. After 50 years of cheering and dealing with the Bumbling Bills (not to mention the $$$thousands of $$$), it's time to move onto more enjoyable adventures.

There was only 1 team worth a hoot in 50 years...Kelly & his crowd late 80's & early 90's.

The Bills are an entertainment that you can choose to attend and spend $$$thousands of $$$ - or not...no different than going to the theater to see a play or movie. Sure the Bills performances could have been better, but have obviously been good enough to sell out RW's tax-payer-subsidized stadium and make him a profit from the $$$thousands of $$$ that attendees have spent.

According to Chris Brown: "Nix confirmed that Perry Fewell is a coaching candidate that will be interviewed, though he also said that there is an inherent advantage for men that have been head coaches before in terms of getting the job done, having been a former college head coach himself."

That would leave only Cowher, Capers, Fasell, and Fox from your list. I'd also like to see Billick, Reeves, Callahan, Martz, Dungy, and Gruden added to the list. Let's not settle of we don't have to.

If he also wanted an offensive minded coach, then it also removes a bunch of folks.

I just don't see Gruden coming here. Martz has thrown his hat in the ring, but I do not believe he fits in the Buddy's mode. Callahan was a utter failure in Oakland.

1) Bill Cowher (probably less than 50% chance of getting him). Yes

2) Jim Harbaugh !@#$ No

3) Russ Grimm Yes

4) Mike Heimerdinger No

5) Ron Rivera No

6) Dom Capers Hell no

7) Leslie Frazier Yes

8) Mike Zimmer No

9) Jim Fassel No

10) John Fox (if he is fired/resigns) No

I'd also like to see Billick, Reeves, Callahan, Martz, Dungy, and Gruden added to the list. Let's not settle of we don't have to.

Callahan???? As in Bill Callahan? He was horrendous at Oakland and Nebraska, what makes you think he would be any better here? IMHO, Jauron would outcoach that clown 10 times out of 9

Dude, what about the two AFL championships? If you're gonna count all 50 years, then the mid 1960s have to rank up there. If you don't think those AFL years count then don't say six out of fifty.

There is no way I want Charlie Weiss around here. He absolutely sucked at ND and was the beneficiary of having a first ballot hall of fame QB at NE. I have seen nothing that says he can coach.

If you are looking for experience, obviously Cowher is the #1 choice for a lot of reasons, but I highly doubt we get him. Billick I think would be an interesting hire.

I think we should take a good, long look at Grimm though.

RTB

1) Bill Cowher (probably less than 50% chance of getting him).-He was +4 wins his first year in Pittsburgh -- 12-9 in playoff games...has to be at least talked to...

2) Jim Harbaugh-has turned around an academic school program--just signed an extension--has a QB that gives them national championship potential -- doubt he would leave.

3) Russ Grimm-Has been a finalist for several jobs yet has not gotten one...gotta ask why--is he limited in some way? Do teams see the Peter Principle at work? Has never been a coordinator...

4) Mike Heimerdinger-A great offensive mind -- has been a successful coordinator in all but one season with the Jets...seems to have won his rising star reputation back with the resurgence of Vince Young. Well liked.

5) Ron Rivera-I have been so impressed with this guy this year. SD defense has been lights out even with several injuries. Grew up in an aggressive 3-4 pedigree. A fiery leader. Well liked.

6) Dom Capers-I just can't deal with the toupee...had two chances at a head job and failed -- don't want another Jauron.

7) Leslie Frazier-Had all the talent in the world in Minnesota on D-Jared Allen, Pat and Kevin Williams--yet they lose EJ Henderson this year and they fall apart--I can't say I am impressed. Let someone else take the chance.

8) Mike Zimmer-Turned Cincy's D around -- is fiery and inspired. Life struck by personal tragedy this year and yet he coached on....

9) Jim Fassel-Experienced head coach. Knows how to develop a QB. Should have hired him over Jauron the last time. Not sure I want him this time.

10) John Fox (if he is fired/resigns)-The guy has not been able to string together two winning seasons in a row. Sticking with Delhomme just killed me. All that being said--he would automatically merit pursuit.

Have to add Charlie Weis, Brian Schottenheimer and Brian Billick to this list..

In order:

Cowher, Fox, Billick, Heimerdinger, Weis, Zimmer, Rivera

There is no way I want Charlie Weiss around here. He absolutely sucked at ND and was the beneficiary of having a first ballot hall of fame QB at NE. I have seen nothing that says he can coach.

If you are looking for experience, obviously Cowher is the #1 choice for a lot of reasons, but I highly doubt we get him. Billick I think would be an interesting hire.

I think we should take a good, long look at Grimm though.

RTB

I am not a huge Weis guy either...but think about something with Brady--they won 10 games without him last year with a QB that couldn't break the starting line-up in college....How many games would the Colts win without Manning...a whole lot less than 10. Its more system in NE than it is Brady. He is great and I wish we had him--but Charlie designed the system. Quinn was average before Charlie got to SB -- he made Quinn a 1st round draft choice.

Dude... I believe Nix stated he wanted an experienced NFL HC with a winning track record... one that also knows how to assemble a coaching staff. That being the case, let's re think your list

2) Jim Harbaugh

3) Russ Grimm

4) Mike Heimerdinger

5) Ron Rivera

6) Dom Capers

7) Leslie Frazier

8) Mike Zimmer

9) Jim Fassel

I would add one other person to the list of former coaches: Dan Reeves. As far as the age thing goes, he is one year younger than Marty so that really is not an issue.

My A+ list of former NFL head coaches: Cowher and Gruden.

My A list of former NFL head coaches/current college head coaches: Marty, Dan Reeves, Harbaugh.

My B list of former head coaches: Fassel, Billick, Fox (if he is let go), Weis.

My A list of assistants: Zimmer, Grimm, Brian S.

Bill Cowher - Don't get your hopes up so you won't be disappointed when he doesn't sign with the Bills

Jim Harbaugh - A 2nd year college coach at a non powerhouse program? Sounds like Ralph's kind of guy

Mike Heimerdinger - Strikes me as another Wade, Greggo, Mularkey, Jauron. Great co-ordinator but not HC material

Dom Capers - Proven track record as another Wade, Greggo, Mularkey, Jauron. Great co-ordinator but not HC material

Jim Fassel - :censored: No

I would add one other person to the list of former coaches: Dan Reeves. As far as the age thing goes, he is one year younger than Marty so that really is not an issue.

My A+ list of former NFL head coaches: Cowher and Gruden.

My A list of former NFL head coaches/current college head coaches: Marty, Dan Reeves, Harbaugh.

My B list of former head coaches: Fassel, Billick, Fox (if he is let go), Weis.

My A list of assistants: Zimmer, Grimm, Brian S.

Most of the big names seem to be long-shots to come to small-market Buffalo, but it seems to me that the biggest thing the Bills have been lacking is a good game-day coach. DJ seemed to get a lot out of his players (they seemed to play up to their ability for him), but the ability to game-plan the opponent and adjust that plan as the game unfolds is what made DJ a below average coach. So who from the available candidates is good at thinking on their feet? Probably the coaches that have been successful in the playoffs - which could be long-shots to sign here unless RW shows them the money.