ESPN INSIDER: "Cowher to Bills back on"?

RocBillsfan

JR, this is the first I had heard that Cowher's wife forced him to quit in Pittsburgh and move to a warmer climate. Where was this reported? Now you and I know hittin that US-23 corridor up from Ann Arbor to Brighton and Howell, the winter weather can be a biznatch, especially when 96 turns into a parking lot and backs up all the way back to 23. But that being said, we're northerners through and through, we love the harsh winter. It makes us strong! And so too is Bill Cowher! He would never quit in the face of harsh winters... would he?

I've lived in Pittsburgh since 2005 (in the same part of town that Cowher lived too), and word on the street was that it's all his wife. I think Cowher is cool with the weather; he's coached in Cleveland and Pittsburgh, after all! But his wife didn't like it, and basically got to call the shots since she stuck in out in Pittsburgh so long. I think this was more than rumor; maybe saw a newspaper story here and there. But I also know my share of people who overheard Kay Cowher say x, y, an z.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well because this is a day of opinion and speculation, here is mine.

Cowher now gets to spend most of the week with his family. He goes to the TV studio Sundays where he shoots the **** with other football guys, watches whatever games he wants, then shoots the **** again with the same guys. No 100+ hour weeks, no bull **** from owners/fans/press/players/agents. And for doing this he gets paid (reportedly) more than he was making coaching the Steelers.

Now if you are in Coach Cowhers shoes, do you:

A) Take a job in armpit Buffalo NY, with a team that even if you are perfect with drafting and FA pickups, and get very lucky every other way, are 3 years from being anything. Just because other positions didn't pan out this year.

Or

B) Stay with your cushy gig one more year and keep looking for that perfect fit position.

Anyone selecting A needs to put down the bong and stop drinking the bong-water.

Cowher's wife may not like cold weather, but most football coaches don't consider the weather in Buffalo to be a major issue and who cares about the economy and entertainment. Football coaches want to win and in their free time they want to have some friends and relax and go to a nice restaurant or see a movie. Buffalo is great for that; the people are really great in Buffalo as all of us know that have left and live somewhere else. Coaches don't want to go to some Broadway show and fashionable nightclub. When Wade Phillips was fired under unpleasant circumstances he still lived in Buffalo for quite some time after that. He had no big desire to move and he grew up in Texas. Many ex-Bills players live in Buffalo.

I'll believe it when I see it.

This can all be another Russ Brandon marketing ploy to get the fans to believe the Bills are really attempting to build a winner. (ALA The TO Signing last year)

Wouldn't suprise me if Cowher, Shannanon, Etc go else where and reports come out that "The Bills are trying but no top name wants to commit." We go on to hire a coordinator without putting a real GM in place and the pattern of BS continues at OBD.

Wow some of you people are really beat down beyond rational thought. If the Bills are putting on a show of pretending to try to land a big name, then fail, how is the end result a strong marketing position leading up to the season ticket sales deadline? Since when is an epic fail good marketing? Talk about a loser mentality.

Wow some of you people are really beat down beyond rational thought. If the Bills are putting on a show of pretending to try to land a big name, then fail, how is the end result a strong marketing position leading up to the season ticket sales deadline? Since when is an epic fail good marketing? Talk about a loser mentality.

+1

Billnut, you are straight cash on this homie!

and who cares about the economy and entertainment.

Probably a guy who is trying to talk his wife, who grew up in NC and currently living in Raleigh NC - and who endured Pittsburgh for 15 years and Cleveland before that, into moving from Raleigh to Buffalo.

Football coaches want to win and in their free time they want to have some friends and relax and go to a nice restaurant or see a movie.

Nice restaurants as compared to Raleigh? Not hardly. And how many friends would either of them have in Buffalo? Particularly given the fact that she is basically "home" now.

Coaches don't want to go to some Broadway show and fashionable nightclub.

Again, there is considerably more to this than just what he wants (even if he did want Buffalo, which I can't believe is the case anyway). He is not desperate for a job, and I suspect their feeling is that his wife has "done her time" in the northeast.

I mean no offense, but you must be single dude :rolleyes:

Well because this is a day of opinion and speculation, here is mine.

Cowher now gets to spend most of the week with his family. He goes to the TV studio Sundays where he shoots the **** with other football guys, watches whatever games he wants, then shoots the **** again with the same guys. No 100+ hour weeks, no bull **** from owners/fans/press/players/agents. And for doing this he gets paid (reportedly) more than he was making coaching the Steelers.

Now if you are in Coach Cowhers shoes, do you:

A) Take a job in armpit Buffalo NY, with a team that even if you are perfect with drafting and FA pickups, and get very lucky every other way, are 3 years from being anything. Just because other positions didn't pan out this year.

Or

B) Stay with your cushy gig one more year and keep looking for that perfect fit position.

Anyone selecting A needs to put down the bong and stop drinking the bong-water.

Well I don't drink my Bong water but to be honest if I were a SB winning HC and potential future HoFer, then yes, yes I would come to Buffalo. I'm not some fanboy here who is all giddy with excitement about the possibility of BC here, I'm being sincere. I think guys like BC are driven by challenges and when a man who is still as young as Cowher and has accomplished what he has, well then I think he looks for new challenges. Bill Cower is a legend in Pitt or at least he will be at some point but if he can come in to Buffalo and bring a Champ here, he will go from legend to God and a sure-fire 1st ballot HOF.

I live in New Orleans now, but I do want to comment on most board member's opinion of Buffalo. Contrary to the negative perception that gets talked about all of the time, Buffalo is actually a great place. I would move there before Raliegh. Raliegh Sucks! I've been a few times and look forward to leaving every time. It has NO soul. Buffalo might be experiencing some economic struggles, but it has a soul and a big one at that. A lot of people on this board downplay the city's strengths and seem to always focus on its shortcomings. This really needs to stop. Take a look again, you might actually like what you see.

Just stated by Michael Lombardi on NFL network during the "around the league" show.

Cowher would prefer to go to a team with an established QB... it was noted because it took him so long to find big ben. Now if that is the case it will narrow his search a great deal, he would rather stay in broadcasting another year.

I don't see him coming to Buffalo now having to rebuild the entire offense,O coordinator,O line and coach, plus players.This team looked a whole lot better before jauron tore apart the entire O line.

Well I don't drink my Bong water but to be honest if I were a SB winning HC and potential future HoFer, then yes, yes I would come to Buffalo. I'm not some fanboy here who is all giddy with excitement about the possibility of BC here, I'm being sincere. I think guys like BC are driven by challenges and when a man who is still as young as Cowher and has accomplished what he has, well then I think he looks for new challenges. Bill Cower is a legend in Pitt or at least he will be at some point but if he can come in to Buffalo and bring a Champ here, he will go from legend to God and a sure-fire 1st ballot HOF.

Very well said. +1, even the part about the bong water :rolleyes:

I agree, Cowher is probably getting sick of dressing up to spout a few scripted inanities with those clowns every week. He wants to be known as a great coach again, not some talking head (who's listening?). I'm sure he would jump at the right HC job--can't imagine it's Buffalo.

I doubt he is getting paid more than the $3.5 mill he got in Pitt.

Seriously? No one drinks bong water. And I propose that we shelf the "put down the _____ pipe/bong" jokes. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaawn.

You've never heard the people that believe drinking that will get you high?

>Nice restaurants as compared to Raleigh? Not hardly. And how many friends would either of them have in Buffalo? >Particularly given the fact that she is basically "home" now.

NOT hardly?? "home" now??

Codemonkey---I'm calling your english teacher.

He also would accomplish something that his old nemesis Tom Donahoe couldn't do!

I live in New Orleans now, but I do want to comment on most board member's opinion of Buffalo. Contrary to the negative perception that gets talked about all of the time, Buffalo is actually a great place. I would move there before Raliegh. Raliegh Sucks! I've been a few times and look forward to leaving every time. It has NO soul. Buffalo might be experiencing some economic struggles, but it has a soul and a big one at that. A lot of people on this board downplay the city's strengths and seem to always focus on its shortcomings. This really needs to stop. Take a look again, you might actually like what you see.

You're preaching to the choir; but trying selling that to someone who is from North Carolina (i.e., Cowher's wife).

Just to show everyone has their own differing opinions for all kinds of life choices, I grew up in Buffalo (18 yrs), currently live in Raleigh, visit Buffalo at least twice a year, every year - and wouldn't move back to Buffalo from Raleigh if you paid me and put a gun to my head.

The bottom line is that no one really knows what Cowher's personal feelings are and what other factors may influence his decision - it's all speculation.