Breaking News for the Senator

JoeF

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as some of us want "the good old days of coaching" to come back, they're not going to. Right or wrong, today's college or pro coach has to be a motivator and a manipulator more than a disciplinarian. There's too much money, too much attention and too much much litigation involved. So in this case, Leach should have played it smarter. I think he let anger get in the way of his thinking. There are other, less confrontational ways to deal with punks. The "old school" methods, no matter how much some of us might want them to return, are dead simply because they no longer work. It doesn't mean Leach is a bad coach. But in this case, he let his ego cloud his thinking. Hopefully he learns from it and bounces back once the uproar dies down.

Funny, Tech players that were there at practice had this to say:

"I have no complaints about this decision. [Leach] put Adam [James] in a shed like an animal. Like an animal in a cage. That was bull," defensive lineman Chris Perry. "You call other players. I think it was a good decision. We have our pep back now. We practice hard this week. We had less stress this week. You know why? Because he's gone."

Said cornerback Taylor Charbonnet: "The players make this team, not one coach. As Adam's friend, I didn't like it at all what [Leach] did. He was my brother and I didn't agree with it. I don't know why [Leach] did that. But I know we our fully behind [interim] coach Ruffin [McNeil]. We love him and support him."

I guess this is a little bit of the testimony that Tech based their firing of Leach on.

The Senator's head just exploded!

I think the general perception is, and what the facts will eventually reveal, is that the kid - a 3rd year, 3rd-string red-shirt sophomore WR already perceived to be a bit of a 'slacker' and a malcontent by Leach - with a meddling, former NFL player and ESPN announcer, 'helicopter' dad - suffered some sort of injury, diagnosed as a possible mild concussion, yet not deemed serious enough for the examining doctor to request cat-scans, pupil measurements, or hospitalization or bed-rest, and was cleared by same said-doctor to return to practice, but not cleared for contact (much like Trent Edwards - who clearly suffered a 'bell-ringer' - was cleared to ride a stationary bike, but not take part in contact drills).

Leach and his coaches have the kid walk the track while the team practices and, the next day, kid shows up for practice sporting shades - claiming his doctor said they would 'speed his recovery' - at which point (now this is conjecture) Leach gets a little frosted, and sends the kid to the equipment garage (apparently a large out-building out of the sunlight and so much cooler than on-field that the o-line uses it for breaks), orders any chairs or anything else that the 'slacker' might sit (or nap) in, provides a stationary bike for the kid to work out, and assigns 3 trainers to watch over the kid (probably to make sure he doesn't just !@#$ off for 3 hours).

Kid whines to daddy, former NE* Cheatriettes* panty-waist Craig James (who may still be receiving illegal checks from that whole program-killing SMU scandal in the mid-80s) about the humiliation, who then whines to the chancellor, all-the-while claiming how much the entire James family loves Texas Tech, how they're only doing this to make guarantee the safety of other TTU athletes (who support Leach almost unanimously), and how much his 'sophomore' son Adam has enjoyed his first three years there! :rolleyes:

(A 3rd-year sophomore - obviously not a very bright gene-pool in the James household!)

If I'm wrong about any of this, and if Leach isn't 100% vindicated regardless of whether he remains at TTU (obviously, I hope he won't because I'd like to see him here), I'll eat my hat.

Interesting

Again, I'm the opposite of an expert here, but didn't I read that the exercise bike was there the second day, not the first, that the first day anything to sit on was taken out of the room? This is what concerns me.

The rest of the story shows him as maybe wacky, maybe weird, but let's face it, if you yanked all the wacky or weird coaches out of football teams, you wouldn't have enough left for the top 25, never mind the rest of pro and college football. So who cares if he's wacky. But if he is being punished for having a concussion, that starts to be on the edge as far as I'm concerned and if they took all the things to sit on out of there ...

I'm waiting to see how this all comes out, don't really have an opinion yet, but your take has him looking fairly reasonable.

I think the general perception is, and what the facts will eventually reveal, is that the kid - a 3rd year, 3rd-string red-shirt sophomore WR already perceived to be a bit of a 'slacker' and a malcontent by Leach - with a meddling, former NFL player and ESPN announcer, 'helicopter' dad - suffered some sort of injury, diagnosed as a possible mild concussion, yet not deemed serious enough for the examining doctor to request cat-scans, pupil measurements, or hospitalization or bed-rest, and was cleared by same said-doctor to return to practice, but not cleared for contact (much like Trent Edwards - who clearly suffered a 'bell-ringer' - was cleared to ride a stationary bike, but not take part in contact drills).

Leach and his coaches have the kid walk the track while the team practices and, the next day, kid shows up for practice sporting shades - claiming his doctor said they would 'speed his recovery' - at which point (now this is conjecture) Leach gets a little frosted, and sends the kid to the equipment garage (apparently a large out-building out of the sunlight and so much cooler than on-field that the o-line uses it for breaks), orders any chairs or anything else that the 'slacker' might sit (or nap) in, provides a stationary bike for the kid to work out, and assigns 3 trainers to watch over the kid (probably to make sure he doesn't just !@#$ off for 3 hours).

Kid whines to daddy, former NE* Cheatriettes* panty-waist Craig James (who may still be receiving illegal checks from that whole program-killing SMU scandal in the mid-80s) about the humiliation, who then whines to the chancellor, all-the-while claiming how much the entire James family loves Texas Tech, how they're only doing this to make guarantee the safety of other TTU athletes (who support Leach almost unanimously), and how much his 'sophomore' son Adam has enjoyed his first three years there! :rolleyes:

(A 3rd-year sophomore - obviously not a very bright gene-pool in the James household!)

If I'm wrong about any of this, and if Leach isn't 100% vindicated regardless of whether he remains at TTU (obviously, I hope he won't because I'd like to see him here), I'll eat my hat.

Interesting

Again, I'm the opposite of an expert here, but didn't I read that the exercise bike was there the second day, not the first, that the first day anything to sit on was taken out of the room? This is what concerns me.

The rest of the story shows him as maybe wacky, maybe weird, but let's face it, if you yanked all the wacky or weird coaches out of football teams, you wouldn't have enough left for the top 25, never mind the rest of pro and college football. So who cares if he's wacky. But if he is being punished for having a concussion, that starts to be on the edge as far as I'm concerned and if they took all the things to sit on out of there ...

I'm waiting to see how this all comes out, don't really have an opinion yet, but your take has him looking fairly reasonable.