Did the Colts blow "team of the decade" status?

BADOLBILZ

Yeah, a lot of fans don't care, but to me the Colts had an opportunity to overtake the Pats and lock up team of the decade with an undefeated season and second SB win. Instead, the Pats and their 4 SB appearances and 3 SB wins(and their 16-0 regular season) trump anything the Colts can do. I'd have loved to have the Colts turn the table on the Pats the way the Yankees dumped the Red Sox from team of decade status.

As it stands, I hope the Chargers beat the Colts. Makes no sense to play your starters 2.5 of 4 quarters in a game if you aren't trying to win. And thirty years from now there will have been so many SB winners it would be hard to recollect them all. An undefeated season however, would have given Manning longevity in the debate of all time best QB's.

I hated the decision by Caldwell (and apparently so did Peyton), but it wouldn't have mattered in that context. NE will be thought of as the team of the decade regardless of what the Colts do this year. NE has 3 SB wins and four appearances in the big game. It's pretty safe to say the Pats will not be in the show this year, much less win it. If the Colts win the SB, they will have 2 appearances and 2 wins. Undefeated or not, it's about the titles. They've already won more regular season games than anyone else, so 2 more didn't matter. Now, that said Peyton Manning is the QB of the decade without question. He IS the coach on the field of that team, and they are pretty average without him. NE won 11 games with a journeyman backup last year in Brady's absence,missing the playoffs on an all-time fluke with that record. Could the Colts possibly do the same? No way. Pats success has been largely through the hoodie and a superior front office. But their time is winding down as many of their great players on D are gone. Brady is not even close to Peyton Manning in the annals of quarterbacks. Forget the lame comparisons to Montana. Every one of the SB wins was decided by a Vinatieri FG. Montana's legendary SB drives produced TD's. The pats had a superior defense at their peak, at it won them titles. The D is gone, and they're just another good team. Manning is in a league by himself right now.

Yeah, a lot of fans don't care, but to me the Colts had an opportunity to overtake the Pats and lock up team of the decade with an undefeated season and second SB win. Instead, the Pats and their 4 SB appearances and 3 SB wins(and their 16-0 regular season) trump anything the Colts can do. I'd have loved to have the Colts turn the table on the Pats the way the Yankees dumped the Red Sox from team of decade status.

As it stands, I hope the Chargers beat the Colts. Makes no sense to play your starters 2.5 of 4 quarters in a game if you aren't trying to win. And thirty years from now there will have been so many SB winners it would be hard to recollect them all. An undefeated season however, would have given Manning longevity in the debate of all time best QB's.

Michael Irvin has stated that he would give up his 3 SBs and HOF induction for one perfect season. Take that for what it's worth.

you would think they would have learned from previous years that when you have a rhythm offense you cant just turn it on and off and expect to have the same results....If you watched the game yesterday you can see the effects already happening...Im sure Manning didnt practice as much last week as he normally does and it showed as he was off missing receivers he would normally hit without a problem

I would love to see them lose in the div round at home again

Michael Irvin has stated that he would give up his 3 SBs and HOF induction for one perfect season. Take that for what it's worth.

I think Mike Irvin will soon be giving up those SB rings......on e-bay. Something tells me he doesn't have enough money in the bank to make it to 60.

1) Only 1 team in the history of the NFL has had an undefeated season and nobody has gone 19-0. I don't understand why any professional athlete wouldn't want a shot at this. It's worth risking an extra 4 quarters of playing time for your starters, IMO.

2) Even setting that aside, it's arguable whether a team is better off resting starters and playing poorly than keeping their momentum going into the playoffs.

3) There is an aspect of sportsmanship involved. Teams that played the Colts early in the season (like the Pats) should be able to assume that Indy will play their competitors with the same desire to win. It's basic to competitive sports. If this isn't the case then I don't see why every team that has been eliminated from the playoffs doesn't simply rest all of their good players and play to lose out their schedule so that they get the highest possible draft pick. Something tells me that the league wouldn't stand for that...

4) Finally, as a fan, for what I am paying for a ticket, I want to see Peyton Manning and the rest of the starters. If the Colts can pull their starters at halftime, then I should get a 50% discount on my tickets and related expenses (parking, food, etc.).