Schobel contemplating retirement

If you think about it Schobel is correct...his skills against the run have gone down. Alot of cut back runs we had a D this year were to his side.

Plus I think the mental drain on being on a non-playoff team can wear you down. Year after year. Barry Sanders got tired of it too.

Schobel was an nice DE, good moments but wasn't great. I say get Maybin on the field more , see what you got in this kid.

Maybe the offseason moves will make him reconsider. But I would not be surprised if he did, good for him.

Maybin needs to put on 15-20lbs of lean muscle mass, otherwise he'll be a liability in defending against the run

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run into Aaron from time to time. Saw him before the opener and at the time he was hinting about "finding something else to do for a living."

He's a quiet guy, but a straight shooter. He has a young family and I believe recently built his dream house back in the Houston area. I'm sure that playing 9 seasons for an organization with no direction has taken its toll (plus the nagging injuries) on him. And being a competitive guy, i think he wants to leave on his own terms. He knows he's lost a step but can still play. He won't be a guy to hang on for the paycheck. He knows he's made all the money he needs in life. He's smart with his money and has other interests in life besides football. I know he likes golf, and is probably ready to head back to Texas and start to heard cattle for a living. No way he comes back after sitting out a year to sign with a New England like some have mentioned. Long shot possibility is he asks the Bills to trade his rights to Houston so he can finish his career at home. Other than that, I think he's done.

Just filed a quick story on Schobel, who had interesting comments to make post practice to two reporters, including the AP.

Should be on the world wide web shortly if anyone wants to look for it.

jw

ADD: Updated topic title. There will be more to story later today.

See ya.............

Maybin needs to put on 15-20lbs of lean muscle mass, otherwise he'll be a liability in defending against the run

I think you mean 115-120lbs. The guy is smaller than some WR's and DB's in the game. I'll say it now there is no way this guy will ever amount to anything as DE in the NFL. An OLB in a 3-4 maybe. I have no idea what this team was looking at when they picked this guy. He does'nt fit our defense at all unless they plan on him being an OLB or safety. Scott is a safety forced to play linebacker and he looks huge when compared to Maybin. He just looks so fragile like if i grabbed his arm it might snap in two.

I think you mean 115-120lbs. The guy is smaller than some WR's and DB's in the game. I'll say it now there is no way this guy will ever amount to anything as DE in the NFL. An OLB in a 3-4 maybe. I have no idea what this team was looking at when they picked this guy. He does'nt fit our defense at all unless they plan on him being an OLB or safety. Scott is a safety forced to play linebacker and he looks huge when compared to Maybin. He just looks so fragile like if i grabbed his arm it might snap in two.

Buffalo went with a project DE because they finally realized a pass rush is important. The greater reason, IMO, was that taking an OT would open them up for criticism that they again used a high pick to replace a traded or UFA veteran.

I've always had the feeling that the Bills, TD or Levy/Brandon, are concerned with not doing what the supposed experts think they should do.

And BTW, I've seen Maybin run by (I sit in the front row behind an EZ) and he's real cut, but lacks bulk. He has a lot of work to do in the off-season, but I'm willing to wait another year before declaring him a completely bad pick.

I recall Billy Bellicheat saying once that Schoebel wouldn't even make the Pats* as a backup.

PTR

No, Promo, when do you last remember Belichick saying things like that? He doesn't.

But I do remember what you're talking about. First, the story wasn't about Schobel, it was about Jason Peters. And second, Belichick never said it, it resulted from a newspaper columnist (horribly) misreading a Peter King column. King used a conditional clause (Even if Belichick said...) and the columnist misread it as reporting a fact.

Here's the report on it: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2007/09/01/bill-be...s-kerry-rhodes/

good.....he is NOT worth his $8.5 million salary cap.

His salary next year is $6.025 mill. If he is really making $8.5 mill against the salary cap, that would mean that he got a $17.5 million signing bonus (2.5 mill/ year over a 7 year contract). I don't think that ever happened.

Who cares. We have lost with Schobel for the last 9 years, we could just as easily lose without him. The guy has not been part of a winning team since he has been in the NFL, f*ck him, we will be better off without him. At least it will clear some salary off the books. Can you do me a favor & tell him to take Kelsay & Denney with him?

That's a great way of looking at things. Let's throw out all the players we've lost with.

Let's see, Marcus Stroud has never been here for a winning season. Cut him. Terrence McGee, cut him. Brad Butler, out of here. Wood. Bye bye. The guy actually was here for an apparent skid from 7 - 9 to 5 - 11. Clearly Wood, Levitre and Jairus Byrd are huge mega-losers.

Blaming Schobel for this team's fortunes is like blaming an extremely good Buffalo city council member for the U.S. deficit. Put Schobel in a group of good players with a good coach and he could easily be on a championship team.

The Lions lost just about every year with Barry Sanders. Therefore he is garbage.

New Orleans stunk with Archie Manning, therefore he stunk.

Chicago was horrible with Dick Butkus, ergo, he was horrible.

I'm just amazed those teams kept these players.

Exactly. Thank you.

Massive is really overstating it.

According to Rotoworld, the numbers look like this:

2010: $6.025 mill

2011: $6.5 mill

2012: $6.5 mill

2013: $8.5 mill

Only the 2013 number looks big, and by 2013, it won't anymore.

Anyone we bring in to replace him, assuming they can perform at his level or higher, will cost as much or probably more.

I agree, those dollar numbers nowadays a about what a slightly better than average player gets, and Schobel is much, much more than slightly average, especially on a defense that is like the Island of Misfit Toys.