Whitner, McKelvin, Maybin

Indicative of a front office that placed excessive value on bringing in players for the Secondary, while ignoring depth at Linebacker and D-line help

When Dick Jauron is running the show, DB's are the greatest defense against a passing game. Unfortunately, that strategy is flawed in so many ways. Why not go pass rush first and then look for DB's when you've got a front 7? DJ ran those 06-08 drafts and decided, because there was no de facto GM. Oh, wait, there were building "consensus." I forgot that.

Then, on offense, draft WR's and RB's without an OL. That's why this team is going to be rebuilding again, which is something we can only hope for. They may go the gimmick route again in hopes of selling tickets, otherwise known as the real goal.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was picked the year Nate Clements left. He played well his rookie year down the stretch and beat out Florence, Corner, and Yobouty to start. I would have kept Greer and made McKelvin the nickel back but McKelvin was good enough to start at CB.

Clements left the year before Mckelvin was picked... other posts saying Lynch is a bust are false... Lynch has had two 1,000+ yard seasons and didnt have the time to get ready for the start of this season. I know Edwards has been bad but he was a 3rd round pick. Mckelvin has been hurt all year, it is too premature to see what type of a pro he will be but he seems like a so-so corner and a dangerous return man. Coming into the draft, analysts said Maybin would flourish in a 3-4... he has not yet played in a 3-4 scheme yet where guys like mcshay and kiper said he would be dangerous. Your view on Whitner is correct. He seems like he can tackle but he is lost in coverage.

Clements left the year before Mckelvin was picked... other posts saying Lynch is a bust are false... Lynch has had two 1,000+ yard seasons and didnt have the time to get ready for the start of this season. I know Edwards has been bad but he was a 3rd round pick. Mckelvin has been hurt all year, it is too premature to see what type of a pro he will be but he seems like a so-so corner and a dangerous return man. Coming into the draft, analysts said Maybin would flourish in a 3-4... he has not yet played in a 3-4 scheme yet where guys like mcshay and kiper said he would be dangerous. Your view on Whitner is correct. He seems like he can tackle but he is lost in coverage.

:doh:

He was the starting RB in Turk Schonert's offense right up to the first game of the season. He had every opportunity in the world to get ready, be ready, and be fresh when he got back from his suspension -- a suspension he delivered to himself with his curious lack of self-discipline and inability to stay away from his pals and the reefer madness. Obviously, the chaos on the offensive side of the ball hasn't helped his game, but saying he never had an opportunity is total revisionism. He's a professional. Man up and act like it. He should have come back from that suspension with the attitude that his career was (and it is) totally on the line and he is one !@#$-up away from being the next Rashaan "Do Bongs" Salaam.

1) All first round picks

2) All softies

3) All are far more mouth than playmaker

4) All cost us games

5) All wasted picks

6) All are major indictments of a weak, clueless front office

Whitner's biggest problem is that he was drafted so high that people expect him to be a pro bowl player. Well he is'nt. However, I do not think he's a bum either. I think he is better at FS than SS, still there are plays he makes that just frustrates the hell out of us. He's a solid player, yet with the presence of Byrd, Wilson & Scott, Whitner could be in trouble.

As for McKelvin & Maybin, I think you are overreacting.

McKelvin has only played one season, and did'nt even play it as a full time starter. People on this board were calling him a bust last year. Yes he did not make an immediate impact, yet as the season went on his play got better. His injury is a big setback as this was a good chance for him to show that he could be a starter. He's a good kick returner and a solid CB with potential to be a good CB or a great CB. I think you are off on pionts 2 & 5 in regards to McKelvin. However, next season he will have to earn the starting position due to the emergence of Drayton Florence, who has made a strong case that he should be the starting LCB.

As far as Maybin goes, I have to ask you if you thought that Maybin would be an instant impact player this year. If you did, then you are a bit out of touch. I was not happy when the Bills drafted Maybin, becasue I knew that he was a project player, and that we would not see any impact from him for a year or two. That has been the general consensus of the people on this board. Yes it is disheartening that he has'nt even registered a sack this season and at times he is completely invisible. I disagree with you on points 2, 4 & 5. You can not honestly say that Maybin cost us today's game. Yes he blew the onside kick, but that is not what cost us the game.

Finally I have to ask you, despite the negativity, do you believe that there is absolutely no chance that McKelvin & Maybin cannot turn it around and become better players?

Whitner's biggest problem is that he was drafted so high that people expect him to be a pro bowl player. Well he is'nt. However, I do not think he's a bum either. I think he is better at FS than SS, still there are plays he makes that just frustrates the hell out of us. He's a solid player, yet with the presence of Byrd, Wilson & Scott, Whitner could be in trouble.

As for McKelvin & Maybin, I think you are overreacting.

McKelvin has only played one season, and did'nt even play it as a full time starter. People on this board were calling him a bust last year. Yes he did not make an immediate impact, yet as the season went on his play got better. His injury is a big setback as this was a good chance for him to show that he could be a starter. He's a good kick returner and a solid CB with potential to be a good CB or a great CB. I think you are off on pionts 2 & 5 in regards to McKelvin. However, next season he will have to earn the starting position due to the emergence of Drayton Florence, who has made a strong case that he should be the starting LCB.

As far as Maybin goes, I have to ask you if you thought that Maybin would be an instant impact player this year. If you did, then you are a bit out of touch. I was not happy when the Bills drafted Maybin, becasue I knew that he was a project player, and that we would not see any impact from him for a year or two. That has been the general consensus of the people on this board. Yes it is disheartening that he has'nt even registered a sack this season and at times he is completely invisible. I disagree with you on points 2, 4 & 5. You can not honestly say that Maybin cost us today's game. Yes he blew the onside kick, but that is not what cost us the game.

Finally I have to ask you, despite the negativity, do you believe that there is absolutely no chance that McKelvin & Maybin cannot turn it around and become better players?

This place has poorer memory than an old Commodore 64. After the KC game last year, McKelvin was the seond coming of Christ after a pair of picks in a Bill blowout win. Couple that with being a top KR in the league last year. No, McKelvin had a couple bad fumbles against the Pats in the opener, but he showed a lot of talent both as a return guy and as a CB. I agree that gouping McKelvin with Whitner is beyond a reach.

Maybin, and I agree. Who the heck knows what kind of player he is or could be. One thing was for sure. As a one year starter for Penn St, he came here very raw. He could take a year or two to be ready for a real test of his ability.

Maybin, and I agree. Who the heck knows what kind of player he is or could be. One thing was for sure. As a one year starter for Penn St, he came here very raw. He could take a year or two to be ready for a real test of his ability.

The trouble with Maybin is that by the time he is ready (if ever), the Bills will be well into a new regime with no ties to him, and with their patience will have moved on.

The trouble with Maybin is that by the time he is ready (if ever), the Bills will be well into a new regime with no ties to him, and with their patience will have moved on.

....and then again the "new" regime may takes us back to a 3-4 and he can become our Bryce Paup, with athleticism and speed.

Point is, he's unknown at this point. If he shows no improvement next year, then begin the countdown to his execution. year three, he's either a player or cut him.....if the Bills can afford to.

....and then again the "new" regime may takes us back to a 3-4 and he can become our Bryce Paup, with athleticism and speed.

Point is, he's unknown at this point. If he shows no improvement next year, then begin the countdown to his execution. year three, he's either a player or cut him.....if the Bills can afford to.

Well, hopefully... but, from what I've seen so far, I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you. :doh:

I can't see making a move to a 3-4 in one off-season, no matter how much it would help Maybin's game... there just aren't enough good fits in the front 7. I think dumping Tampa-2 once-and-for-all and playing a much more aggressive 4-3 is more likely.... then maybe work towards transitioning to a 3-4 if desired.

McLovin...err McKelvin is a good player. We miss him on Kickoffs and was the starting CB. Has Pro Bowl potential if he keeps his head on straight.

Whitner plan and simple was the wrong draft pick. George Wilson is a better player than Whitner period. Makes it worse Wilson is a former WR. Byrd and Scott at the Safeties for next year. Trade or cut Whitner . He has little use as a backup at FS because he cannot cover.

Maybin is out of position. A better coaching staff would make him an OLB, but we suck at coaching so there you go.

1) All first round picks

2) All softies

4) All cost us games

5) All wasted picks

You could have even thrown Parrish into the mix, given that he was the first Bills selection of a draft. But you are correct. This team was built on defensive backs and gadget players and now the chickens are home to roost.

1) All first round picks

2) All softies

4) All cost us games

5) All wasted picks

you guys are !@#$ing ridiculous with the bashing. How has McKelvin been a wasted pick? Your memories are horrible. He was coming on strong last year in our defense and was turning into a playmaker on special teams...ya, he cost us 1 game with that brain freeze he had. GET THE !@#$ OVER IT. I expect McKelvin to come back to this team and contribute big time for us next year. What a bunch of whining vaginas we have on this board.

Before you knock on Maybin... Houston fans were unhappy with their underwhelming, highly drafted, exceptionally athletic Defensive End Mario Williams for the first couple years. Now he is one of the league's premier pass rushers. Let Maybin find out he cannot run cirlces around opponents anymore, and develop his skill level too match his athletic ability.

However like most Bills fans im tired of drafting "Potential".

McKelvin will be fine. It took Youboty three years to figure out how to play DB in the NFL. It took Jabari Greer and McGee three years as well, it will take Mckelvin 3 years to get this down. Everyone oughta relax, he has plenty of speed and talent.

Maybin needs some tough love from a tough coach. Not someone like Perry who grins at the refs when we have bad calls called against us. Get someone with some fire.

McCargo is just a bedwetter and needs to go somewhere else and sleep in his own mess. He can take the other defensive bedwetting babies -- Whitner, Denney, Schobel, Ellison, Kelsay -- with him. Poz better continue to play like he has the last two weeks or he can take his goldie-lock hair back to Penn State. It's taken him three years to figure out how to play in the NFL.

As for the offense get rid of the underperforming and overpriced players - Evans, Edwards, Reed, Fitzpatrick and TO. We are no better with or without them so get rid of them. If you keep any, keep TO, he at least makes life interesting, the rest are pukes.

you guys are !@#$ing ridiculous with the bashing. How has McKelvin been a wasted pick? Your memories are horrible. He was coming on strong last year in our defense and was turning into a playmaker on special teams...ya, he cost us 1 game with that brain freeze he had. GET THE !@#$ OVER IT. I expect McKelvin to come back to this team and contribute big time for us next year. What a bunch of whining vaginas we have on this board.

You act like McKelvin's giveaway to NE was a one time thing. He came out immediately after and said HE'D DO IT AGAIN. OK, maybe his INTs beat KC last year, but then he gave away the NE game. Being 1-1 as a difference maker is unacceptable from a first round pick, as least to me.

Do you remember the article earlier this year in which Perry Fewell, king of soft coverage, called him out for playing such soft coverage, saying that his typical 10 yard buffer was unacceptable from a first round pick?

Those who refuse to hold our early picks to tough standards have no basis to complain when their team continually misses the playoffs. Y'all can be as patient as you want, I expect more.