So Snider is worse than Ralph?

DarthICE

Apparently not to Shanahan. I just read this link that said Shanahan told the Bills he and Allen were a package deal? Uh ok so why didn't we hire Allen?

That hints to me the Bills (aka RALPH) is full of **** in regards to cleaning house and handing the thing over to a 'football guy'.

I said it before and will say it again, Ralph and this org is NOT well thought of in League Circles regardless of what some fans think? Need a link for that? When we are offering 10 frigging million per year and no one is biting...I don't' need a link.

Shefter said the stuff about Allen is not true, so who do you want to believe. Also said Shanahan isn't talking to Washington yet.

New fans might know, but Tom Donahoe was the top GM back in the day, Ralph got him.

He was? Since when? He lost a power struggle with his head coach. The Steelers were highly thought of, as they are now. But many people in and around the Pittsburgh area hated TD, and they went on to be better without him.

I remember when all of my family was calling me telling me how happy they were that he left Pittsburgh. I didnt' believe them. They were right.

I also do remember though, that TD was highly thought of from the people who weren't in Cowher's camp. So, he was definately credentialed, but he wasn't the top GM.

He was? Since when? He lost a power struggle with his head coach. The Steelers were highly thought of, as they are now. But many people in and around the Pittsburgh area hated TD, and they went on to be better without him.

I remember when all of my family was calling me telling me how happy they were that he left Pittsburgh. I didnt' believe them. They were right.

I also do remember though, that TD was highly thought of from the people who weren't in Cowher's camp. So, he was definately credentialed, but he wasn't the top GM.

Donahoe and Modrak were like Pioli and Dimitroff. yes Donahoe lost a power struggle in Pitt, but he was highly thought of around the NFL. And Pitt actually caught a break with Roethlisberger falling to them or who knows what happens to that organization, they were heading downhill. If we could rewind to 2001 this board would be screaming to hire these guys.

I will never forget Coach on WGR55 say If Ralph Wilson blows this he is an idiot! There was actually a time where Bills fans were scared we were not going to sign Donahoe.

If Bills fans can think back, the last 4 years is the 1st time since like 1985 that the Bills have not had a top front office. Polian, to Butler/AJSmith, to Donahoe/Modrak.

I dont know what got into Ralph in 2006, but I think he will go and get good people.

He was one of the top three or so, absolutely a very grade pickup.

Yeah, he had a scuffle with Cowher, but at the time, nobody knew which guy was right, or whether they both were but couldn't work together. Getting him was a huge coup back then.

And yes, Snider is definitely worse than Ralph.

Allen's been dreaming of going back to Washington since his dad left there. It's like Kelly going to Noter Dam. It's a dream job for them. Youse got any dreams boy? Any?

The only HC candidates that I've heard of wanting the job in Buffalo are Jim Hasslett and Mike Putz Martz.

Remember - it's Buffalo. It doesn't have the cache that Washington, New York, Chicago or SF have. It's not a first tier city when it comes to PR, endorsements and the social scene. That matters a lot to some.

Hey, we love upstate NY. Much of the rest of the country - not so much.

Donahoe and Modrak were like Pioli and Dimitroff. yes Donahoe lost a power struggle in Pitt, but he was highly thought of around the NFL. And Pitt actually caught a break with Roethlisberger falling to them or who knows what happens to that organization, they were heading downhill. If we could rewind to 2001 this board would be screaming to hire these guys.

I will never forget Coach on WGR55 say If Ralph Wilson blows this he is an idiot! There was actually a time where Bills fans were scared we were not going to sign Donahoe.

If Bills fans can think back, the last 4 years is the 1st time since like 1985 that the Bills have not had a top front office. Polian, to Butler/AJSmith, to Donahoe/Modrak.

I dont know what got into Ralph in 2006, but I think he will go and get good people.

Very nice,... good post!

He was one of the top three or so, absolutely a very grade pickup.

Yeah, he had a scuffle with Cowher, but at the time, nobody knew which guy was right, or whether they both were but couldn't work together. Getting him was a huge coup back then.

And yes, Snider is definitely worse than Ralph.

Donahoe was 6-10 and 7-9 last 2 years with the steelers and that was under good ownership. Hardly made him the hot commodity at the time.

Allen's been dreaming of going back to Washington since his dad left there. It's like Kelly going to Noter Dam. It's a dream job for them. Youse got any dreams boy? Any?

The only HC candidates that I've heard of wanting the job in Buffalo are Jim Hasslett and Mike Putz Martz.

Remember - it's Buffalo. It doesn't have the cache that Washington, New York, Chicago or SF have. It's not a first tier city when it comes to PR, endorsements and the social scene. That matters a lot to some.

Hey, we love upstate NY. Much of the rest of the country - not so much.

I think it also has to do with not having a great deal of on-field resources to work with. What established coach wants to try to assemble a winning team with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier players. Of course, what 1st tier player want to come to a team with a consistent losing record.

Donahoe was 6-10 and 7-9 last 2 years with the steelers and that was under good ownership. Hardly made him the hot commodity at the time.

Shanahan is 15-17 over his last two seasons in Denver. I'd say he is a hot commodity still, and you are remembering wrong about Donahoe. Bills fans thought that the hiring marked the end of being a second rate franchise.

Apparently not to Shanahan. I just read this link that said Shanahan told the Bills he and Allen were a package deal? Uh ok so why didn't we hire Allen?

That hints to me the Bills (aka RALPH) is full of **** in regards to cleaning house and handing the thing over to a 'football guy'.

I said it before and will say it again, Ralph and this org is NOT well thought of in League Circles regardless of what some fans think? Need a link for that? When we are offering 10 frigging million per year and no one is biting...I don't' need a link.

Which is?

False false false. He was a hugely hot commodity in 2000-2001. Only an idiot with no historical sense would say otherwise.

Whether he should have been is another matter entirely.

Bruce Allen was fired after never winning a playoff game in Tampa Bay. If he's the hot GM prospect this year, it's not like he's coming in with a great track record of success.

I've wondered the same thing. Most all of these hot GM prospects that we're all gushing over are out of work and had limited success in their last several years at their former teams. IMO, they're all in the same boat as Shanny, good perhaps, in the sense that they're better then what's currently at OBD. But, by no means a guarantee of being a success.

I am just saying, Ralph Wilson has made it known he is going to pay more than any other franchise in League history for a HC or GM or whatever and it seems no one wants to touch it.

What it seems is that you are making assumptions about what has happened and what will happen without facts. Nothing wrong with speculatiuon, but thats all it is. As for Snyder, it remains to be seen whether he has changed his thinking. Cerrato has been fired before (by Marty with the Danny's permissions) , but came back. My speculation is that nothing has really changed in Washington, Snyder will continue to interefere in a dysfunctional organization, and the Skins will continue to underachieve and attain mediocraty. Allen and Shanahan (or whoever) will not make the difference. Sound familiar?

I heard an interesting bit about Allen on ESPN radio this morning: Allen is not going to be a personnel guy, but a salary cap guy. He will not be significantly involved in personnel decsions, other than trying to fit everything under the cap.

If this is true, then Allen is not going to be a GM in the full sense of the word.

only fools believe everything they read. if you believe half the BS you just said i have some land in Alaska that you may be interested in!

I think it also has to do with not having a great deal of on-field resources to work with. What established coach wants to try to assemble a winning team with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier players. Of course, what 1st tier player want to come to a team with a consistent losing record.

I think that this is a bogus argument.

On the surface- you are right.

But success begets success. I will direct you to the Jim Kelly and Bruce Smith draft picks. Kelly and Elway both refused the teams that picked them (Buffalo and Indy, respectively). Kelly spurned the Bills to play in the USFL with the Houston Gamblers, and Elway was traded to Denver. Bruce Smith was also quoted as not wanting to come to Buffalo, as was Bennett, etc.

What they did not realize was obviously that they were all highly talented players being collected by one smart and savvy GM in Bill Polian.

Once they started winning, no one said a thing about not wanting to be in Buffalo.

In fact, Kelly, Tasker, and Kelso still live there. Thomas recently moved back to Buffalo from Orlando. So, on the surface, you are right. No one wants to come to Buffalo because they are NOT WINNING. We get a proven, NFL GM in place, and things will start to change.