If Perry got a fresh start with a healthy Bills team

SpecialK15

Now this is just a 'what if' scenario, but since the Bills already have 15 some players on IR, I thought I'd just throw this out there. How do you think Perry would do as HC of the Bills if he had his healthy roster? Do you think we'd end up a 7-9 (or worse) team again, or would we actually have had a shot at the playoffs. With Fitz (and his shotty, at best, play) and Fewell managing the game, we've won 4 of our 5 wins.

Something to think about: if he does land the HC job he will have this core of guys next year...

are you asking if he had his full roster healthy for the 4 games Fewell has coached or if Fewell had been named HC in game 1?...btw, fewell is 2/4 not 4/5...not sure I see anybody on the IR list that has really been missed except maybe Butler and Mitchell...Scott has played well in Ellisons place and I think Draft has played well also...a Healthy Mitchell rotating with Draft and Scott would be nice tho...McKelvin might be another name missed thats on IR, but the secondary has played well without him and I don't believe he would have made any plays that would give the Bills wins in there 2 losses with Fewell coaching...to be honest, even with a full healthy roster, it is Fewells defense that is bad against the run and it is Fewells defense that plays it's CB's 10 yards off the WR's..it is Fewells defense that has Poz covering the middle of the field and covering TE's...but since Jauron was canned I have seen a better defense on the field...so maybe it was Fewells defense with Jaurons input that was the problem...If Butler could have stayed healthy, I think the O-line would have looked better all year.

Now this is just a 'what if' scenario, but since the Bills already have 15 some players on IR, I thought I'd just throw this out there. How do you think Perry would do as HC of the Bills if he had his healthy roster? Do you think we'd end up a 7-9 (or worse) team again, or would we actually have had a shot at the playoffs. With Fitz (and his shotty, at best, play) and Fewell managing the game, we've won 4 of our 5 wins.

Something to think about: if he does land the HC job he will have this core of guys next year...

We were healthy in preseason and the results were the same. This team isn't struggling just because of the injuries, they were in trouble long before those started to pile up. Afterall, those guys didn't all go on IR at once on opening day.

.but since Jauron was canned I have seen a better defense on the field...so maybe it was Fewells defense with Jaurons input that was the problem...If Butler could have stayed healthy, I think the O-line would have looked better all year.

Actually the biggest difference has been that his defense has been aggressive and not meek. It starts with the energy of the coach.

But I agree with you all about Fewell being responsible for the crappy system they have put on...I think Marcus Stroud is on a downhill in his career. Kyle Williams is a Over Achiever...

are you asking if he had his full roster healthy for the 4 games Fewell has coached or if Fewell had been named HC in game 1?...btw, fewell is 2/4 not 4/5...not sure I see anybody on the IR list that has really been missed except maybe Butler and Mitchell...Scott has played well in Ellisons place and I think Draft has played well also...a Healthy Mitchell rotating with Draft and Scott would be nice tho...McKelvin might be another name missed thats on IR, but the secondary has played well without him and I don't believe he would have made any plays that would give the Bills wins in there 2 losses with Fewell coaching...to be honest, even with a full healthy roster, it is Fewells defense that is bad against the run and it is Fewells defense that plays it's CB's 10 yards off the WR's..it is Fewells defense that has Poz covering the middle of the field and covering TE's...but since Jauron was canned I have seen a better defense on the field...so maybe it was Fewells defense with Jaurons input that was the problem...If Butler could have stayed healthy, I think the O-line would have looked better all year.

I agree. People should really take a closer look at the "15 players on IR". If they were all healthy, we have, essentially, last years "talent".

regardless of injuries, I think if Fewell was coaching from the beginning we'd have a few more wins. I struggle to come up with anything that Fewell is doing wrong as a coach. Penalties are way down. 4th down decisions have been smart. The running game has re-emerged. Special teams has re-emerged as a dominant unit and we're playing tough. Plus we're winning games with a crumby qb and no offensive tackles.

I wonder how much all of this "success" that everyone is saying this team is having is attributed to the emergence of Fewell, or the fact that this team and certain individuals on it are playing hard not knowing if they're going to have a job next year when/if the new regime starts cleaning house.

I wonder how much all of this "success" that everyone is saying this team is having is attributed to the emergence of Fewell, or the fact that this team and certain individuals on it are playing hard not knowing if they're going to have a job next year when/if the new regime starts cleaning house.

No offense, but I think DJ's tampering on both offense and defense has caused this mess, not the players playing harder now. There job is always on the line. Notice the aggressiveness on offense these last few weeks. Yes the QB is not the answer to our future, but have you noticed the TD's being called back and the improved playcalling. This team without all the OL injuries and PF as head coach imho would be 7-6 at this point maybe even 8-5 ( The offense stopped moving when butler went down in NE). IF PFbeats NE and ATL, he should get serious consideration for HC.

just my two cents.

have you watched the last few games, Fewell sucks - but just a little less than Juaron.

Really? Can you give more reasons other than "he sucks?" Fewell is 2-2 and has the team playing better overall, though certain players like Fitz are never going to be better than they are. I'd like to read your detailed, reasoned, thoughtful, breakdown of how and where Perry Fewell has failed to meet your lofty expectations as interim head coach of a injury-ravaged football team.

PTR

No offense, but I think DJ's tampering on both offense and defense has caused this mess, not the players playing harder now. There job is always on the line. Notice the aggressiveness on offense these last few weeks. Yes the QB is not the answer to our future, but have you noticed the TD's being called back and the improved playcalling. This team without all the OL injuries and PF as head coach imho would be 7-6 at this point maybe even 8-5 ( The offense stopped moving when butler went down in NE). IF PFbeats NE and ATL, he should get serious consideration for HC.

just my two cents.

Some people...the ones with short attention spans mostly...can't see the difference Fewell is making. All they know is he was part of Jauron's staff and he has to be fired with the rest of the team. The difference between Jauron's Bills and Fewell is night and day. Hopefully the new Bills GM will give him strong consideration because he earned it. Not saying Fewell should be the new head coach. Just saying he is showing good coaching skills so far.

PTR

regardless of injuries, I think if Fewell was coaching from the beginning we'd have a few more wins. I struggle to come up with anything that Fewell is doing wrong as a coach. Penalties are way down. 4th down decisions have been smart. The running game has re-emerged. Special teams has re-emerged as a dominant unit and we're playing tough. Plus we're winning games with a crumby qb and no offensive tackles.

The running game hasn't "re-emerged", they just had the good fortune of playing Kansas City. Fewell is letting them be more aggressive on offense and that has helped a bit but that is about the only improvement I have seen. Even that might be more a function of starting Fitz over Trent than anything else. I like Fewell and I think he is doing a competent job given the hand he was dealt and he might even be a decent head coach. But that is not the point. I don't think he is the best candidate out there, not even close. I have the same reaction to people who think that two lousy wins, one against the woeful Chiefs, means that Fewell would be a great hire as HC as I do to all those who were so convinced that we didn't need to keep Peters because Chambers and Walker played so well in his absence. Wish I had the time to check and see if they are the same people, wouldn't surprise me.

This team needs a complete reboot, not a half-assed one like we saw in 2006. No telling if Ralph will do anything. No telling if he blows it up that it will work out. But this garbage is unacceptable. After this disgraceful decade, the only ones who don't see it are the blindest of homers and real life losers who love to wallow in mediocrity because that's the only thing they know. Give Perry Fewell a fresh start with the UB Bulls, that's more his speed. :thumbsup:

Fewell has been the coordinator of mediocre to outright poor defenses the past four years. Barely beating a sad sack KC team can't wipe this away, especially in light of embarrassing late-game defensive collapses vs. Dallas and New England.

Some else said it best in a previous thread: Give him a pat on the back, thank him for his service, and show him the door.

The rate limiting factor on this team which has determined its perpetual mediocre outcomes (7-9 three seasons in a row and with some luck sneaking out 2 wins against NE at homr, a decrepit like us Falc squad on the road and then a potentially getting set for the playoffs Indy team for the same inadequate record if we are lucky) is not the HC but an FO that overall has not built a winner.

The HC makes a difference in that he working for Mr. Ralph and a GM less FO worked together to create idiocy like the belated firing of Schonert. If you want to consider Fewell from the start, the rewind the start to a fantasy world prior to the horrible OC management and try to guess what role Fewell would have had.

My guess is that who is HC makes little difference with such dysfunction above.

I doubt the results would be much different. Even when healthy, the Bills simply lack the talent at a number of positions to be consistently competitive. As for Fewell himself, based upon what we know to this point, the only conclusion I can reach is that he's a better head coach than Dick Jauron, but that's not saying much. As it stands right now, I can't complain with the job he's done, but at the same time, I don't think he's done anything extraordinary to indicate that a defensive coordinator with a less than stellar record over four years deserves to keep his current title at the end of the year.