Fired for running a fantasy football league

KD in CA

No bashing, just facts...the guy flat out sucks. He had no business starting in the NFL, only under Jauron would Trent ever sniff a starting job.

I am sorry, I respect your opinion but I think you are wrong.

He DID have some business starting in the NFL, but he does not NOW.

Trent Edwards was very highly touted and was valued as a good/decent draft pick. He came out and look pretty good, and then when given the chance to start he looked great. People were touting him as a Top-10 QB in the league, and I am not talking about just fans, but real "experts." His accuracy and QB rating were excellent and he was leading us to victories in the 4th quarter of football games. He had us at what, 5-0 or something like that? I cannot believe that our offensive line was THAT MUCH better last year, than it would have been this year if it were healthy. For instance, look at the New England game at the beginning of this year. Trent, the O-Line and this entire team looked playoff bound. Something happened in the last year that turned this kid into something he never was, a weak and scared little pu$$y.

His concussion, resulting a hit from Adrian Wilson? Probably. That is what I believe made him digress last year. But I think the injuries he has endured this year has scared him. He certainly could come back, but it wont be for this team.

I definitely think he has more of an NFL future than Losman, starter or not. Trent is the better QB.

As far as the posted topic, I think the person from Fidelity who spoke for the company has his issues confused.

Fantasy football as gambling? He might want to ask the NFL and the hundreds of former NFL players and coaches who endorse fantasy football products about that one. If a person was inclined to gamble on games, he could do so online, through a bookie with parlay cards, in an office pool, etc. Most guys who I know who play fantasy football (myself included) would do it for free just for the competitive aspect and for the bragging rights.

Fantasy football is the immersion of sports fanatics into a pursuit which takes, including draft preparation, 5+ months out of the year. Most leagues have very modest prize money. I personally think it's a stretch to call fantasy football, gambling. The cost/benefit basis makes fantasy football a very different animal than wagering on games.

On the other hand, if people are supposed to be working and are instead, going online to play and administer fantasy football leagues on company time, and likely violating workplace rules prohibiting the use of work computers for recreational pastimes and/or visiting non-approved web sites, then Fidelity has a case.

fidelity has always fired employees for this. if you even mention anything related to gambling, your are fired, no questions, no second chance. I have seen whole depts let go. It is such a common thing there, that the employee should have known better. He is better off anyway, fidelity is the high tech version of sweatshops, only differnec is they pay better, you work long hours and are treated like crap, no employee loyality what so ever. they hire a new VP of a division and they just pick a job title to eliminate and your gone, no matter how good a worker your were.

Some lawyer is going to have a field day with this one in court. These FF Commish's are probably going to make out like bandits over wrongful termination suits.

Actually, as a private company (Fidelity is one of the few financial institutions that is privately held) operating in a right to work state, they can pretty much fire you for any reason at any time - there is no case here.

As another poster mentioned, it's common knowledge at Fiedlity that thus type of stuff (fantasy football, weekly pick 'ems, March Madness pools, Super Bowl squares) are things they consider gambling and you can and will be fired for it. From what I understand it doesn't even have to involve money (i.e. a free fantasy league) for Fidelity to consider it a form of gambling and because they are in the business of investing people's retirement finds thay have zero tollerance for anything that gives the appearance that their employees gamble.

Actually, as a private company (Fidelity is one of the few financial institutions that is privately held) operating in a right to work state, they can pretty much fire you for any reason at any time - there is no case here.

As another poster mentioned, it's common knowledge at Fiedlity that thus type of stuff (fantasy football, weekly pick 'ems, March Madness pools, Super Bowl squares) are things they consider gambling and you can and will be fired for it. From what I understand it doesn't even have to involve money (i.e. a free fantasy league) for Fidelity to consider it a form of gambling and because they are in the business of investing people's retirement finds thay have zero tollerance for anything that gives the appearance that their employees gamble.

I agree 100% that the impression of gambling is B A D bad for an investment firm, but in these trying economic times, the perception of ineptitude is even worse. I have a feeling Fidelity fired the guy for even discussing the merits of using Trent in an FFL. This is VERY stupid. Almost Canadian stupid.

I am willing to bet that there are still other FFLs at Fidelity and Trent is probably not on a single roster. Those dudes are still employed.

If the guy has a lawsuit it has nothing to do with gambling but everything to do with the Equal Protection Clause in the Declaration of Independence. If it can be proven that other FFLs exist at Fidelity, they are committing "Los Gatos discrimiation". This can probably be made to be worth a lot of money.

As far as the posted topic, I think the person from Fidelity who spoke for the company has his issues confused.

Fantasy football as gambling? He might want to ask the NFL and the hundreds of former NFL players and coaches who endorse fantasy football products about that one. If a person was inclined to gamble on games, he could do so online, through a bookie with parlay cards, in an office pool, etc. Most guys who I know who play fantasy football (myself included) would do it for free just for the competitive aspect and for the bragging rights.

Fantasy football is the immersion of sports fanatics into a pursuit which takes, including draft preparation, 5+ months out of the year. Most leagues have very modest prize money. I personally think it's a stretch to call fantasy football, gambling. The cost/benefit basis makes fantasy football a very different animal than wagering on games.

On the other hand, if people are supposed to be working and are instead, going online to play and administer fantasy football leagues on company time, and likely violating workplace rules prohibiting the use of work computers for recreational pastimes and/or visiting non-approved web sites, then Fidelity has a case.

Your weak, real fantasy owners are 365/year. Maybe thats why you lose. More preperation and less talky talky for you mister.

:):w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

My boss thinks I work all day. LOL :thumbsup:

No bashing, just facts...the guy flat out sucks. He had no business starting in the NFL, only under Jauron would Trent ever sniff a starting job.

I wouldnt say that. His best game was his first game he started, and went downhill from there. A real coach could have groomed him into a good QB. NE could have went 11-5 with him last year too.

As another poster mentioned, it's common knowledge at Fidelity that thus type of stuff (fantasy football, weekly pick 'ems, March Madness pools, Super Bowl squares) are things they consider gambling and you can and will be fired for it. From what I understand it doesn't even have to involve money (i.e. a free fantasy league) for Fidelity to consider it a form of gambling and because they are in the business of investing people's retirement finds thay have zero tollerance for anything that gives the appearance that their employees gamble.

Bingo.

Fidelity can make up their own rules about what they consider 'gambling'. The point is, in their business they must not allow even the slightest appearance of impropriety and I'm sure they have made that abundantly clear to their employees.

But we digress from the funny article blaming Edwards for this guy getting sacked. :thumbsup:

Some lawyer is going to have a field day with this one in court. These FF Commish's are probably going to make out like bandits over wrongful termination suits.

Only a bad or desperate lawyer would take this case. Employment is "at-will." Your employer can fire you because they don't like the shirt you are wearing. Stupid to fire someone for playing fantasy football: yes. Legal: yes.

He wasn't wrongfully terminated. Its a private company, at least thats my understanding, so they don't need a reason to fire you, legally. You can get fired for giving your boss the evil eye and not win in court.

Only a bad or desperate lawyer would take this case. Employment is "at-will." Your employer can fire you because they don't like the shirt you are wearing. Stupid to fire someone for playing fantasy football: yes. Legal: yes.

About the only case you stand of winning in these situations are that you were fired because of your membership in some protected class - race, gender, diability, age, etc. and even then you're gonna have one heck of a time proving that.