Who misses McKelvin?

JÂy RÛßeÒ

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like him. He was really starting to show something towards the end of last year and didn't have enough time to get it going this year. I think Florence has been the unsung hero this year. If he plays that well next year with McGee and Leo, we will continue to have a top secondary.

Jackson's returns are the stangest thing ever. He looks so slow and deliberate, but seems to break a 35+ yarder every week.

Your crazy McGee is one of the best in the NFL

:lol:

The most underrated player on the team, in my opinion.

I keep hearing this from people, but never, ever, ever see it on the field. I find him incredibly over-rated. Consider:

- Who do opposing teams target in the passing game? McGee.

- Who got beat deep twice in the first quarter by KC's 4th string WR (Mark Bradley)? McGee.

- Who got beat deep (by about 4 yards I might add) in the third quarter by Jamaal Charles and was only saved by Matt Cassell's horribly underthrown ball? McGee.

- Who did Braylon Edwards victimize repeatedly in each of the last two Cleveland games vs. Buffalo (prior to this season, when he was traded to the Jets)? McGee.

Try this next game: sit down with a pen and paper and write down which defender gets beat on each passing play. I recently challenged a pair of friends with whom I disagreed on this subject to do the same, and I can almost guarantee you that--barring a marked improvement in his play--by the end of the game, you'll be astonished. While doing this, keep in mind that--despite what countless fans claim--Buffalo does NOT match up their corners to a specific receiver. He'll play the left side like he always does.

If you need any more backup for my statement, as in the statistical variety, how about this: I got curious and went in search of some kind of statistical analysis to tell me if my view is slanted, or if I'm actually seeing McGee play as poorly as I think he does. I managed to find this website that crunches the numbers for us:

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

For the above, try sorting by all of the different categories (if you can't make sense of what they mean, they have a great explanation under the "About" tab), you'll see that McGee is actually near the bottom of the league in pretty much every category.

And in case that's not to your liking, how about some good old-fashioned "dry" stats (source is NFL.com):

- Drayton Florence has started 11 games, 1 more than McGee, and has 10 pass breakups, 1 INT, and 42 solo tackles

- George Wilson has started 10 games, same as McGee, and has 10 pass breakups, 4 INT, and 61 solo tackles

- Jairus Byrd has started 8 games, 2 fewer than McGee, and has 20 pass breakups, 9 INT, and 33 solo tackles

- Donte Whitner has started 10 games, same as McGee, and has 7 pass breakups, 2 INT (1 TD), and 31 solo tackles

- Reggie Corner has started 5 games, 5 fewer than McGee, and has 6 pass breakups, 1 INT, and 40 solo tackles

Then there's everyone's beloved Terrence McGee: 10 starts, 6 pass breakups, 1 INT, 37 solo tackles.

Sorry guys, but for $7M/year, he needs to play better football than Reggie Corner.

Combine those gaudy stats with the fact that the average QB rating on passes thrown to McGee's coverage area (see the final column--all the way to the right--on profootballfocus.com) is 104.1, and I say we've got a $7M guy that should be playing limited snaps in the nickel defense.

I do not dispute that he's a physically talented athlete. However, where someone questioned whether I understand football... I question whether McKelvin understands football. I don't see him as a very bright guy. Or a very team-oriented guy. I do see a relationship between the way the secondary is working as a unit now and the fact that he's no longer involved.

I'm perfectly happy with the backfield we have now. McGee & Florence on the corners with Corner as a nickle-back. We have an abundance of talent at both safety positions with Whitner able to move to nickle without much (if any) dropoff in case of injury.

McKelvin is one of the few players on our roster that other teams would want - I think we could get more for him than just about anyone else here and it really wouldn't hurt us all that much.

I do not dispute that he's a physically talented athlete. However, where someone questioned whether I understand football... I question whether McKelvin understands football. I don't see him as a very bright guy. Or a very team-oriented guy. I do see a relationship between the way the secondary is working as a unit now and the fact that he's no longer involved.

I'm perfectly happy with the backfield we have now. McGee & Florence on the corners with Corner as a nickle-back. We have an abundance of talent at both safety positions with Whitner able to move to nickle without much (if any) dropoff in case of injury.

McKelvin is one of the few players on our roster that other teams would want - I think we could get more for him than just about anyone else here and it really wouldn't hurt us all that much.

Statements like this one completely baffle me. What exactly has McKelvin done to show that he's not a "team-oriented" guy? And if he's one of the few players on this team that others want, why should we consider trading him?

With McGee, McKelvin, Florence, Corner, and Lankster, we have no need to spend anything higher than a 5th on a CB for a while.

Your crazy McGee is one of the best in the NFL

McGee is the not even the best we have. I think Florence has outplayed him. He is not the best in the AFC East, he is not in the top 5 in the AFC and he is not in the top 10 in the NFL. Our team does not have one player who is top ten at their position except Moorman. The more I think about this team, I am hard pressed to think of a Bill that is in the top 20 at their position. Stroud maybe, Lindell maybe, outside of that ......

Someone who watches the games. And knows what he has seen. You nailed it bigtime. :lol:

McKelvin brings fire and passion to the team, a stud special teamer. Has a lot of potential to be an elite DB. If anyone stays for next year he is top 5.

thats what i am talking about. poor dude can be blamed for one game. how about the other 10+ times we couldnt beat the pats. lets give him a break. if he was a veteran, then i can understand....

I keep hearing this from people, but never, ever, ever see it on the field. I find him incredibly over-rated. Consider:

- Who do opposing teams target in the passing game? McGee.

- Who got beat deep twice in the first quarter by KC's 4th string WR (Mark Bradley)? McGee.

- Who got beat deep (by about 4 yards I might add) in the third quarter by Jamaal Charles and was only saved by Matt Cassell's horribly underthrown ball? McGee.

- Who did Braylon Edwards victimize repeatedly in each of the last two Cleveland games vs. Buffalo (prior to this season, when he was traded to the Jets)? McGee.

- Drayton Florence has started 11 games, 1 more than McGee, and has 10 pass breakups, 1 INT, and 42 solo tackles

- George Wilson has started 10 games, same as McGee, and has 10 pass breakups, 4 INT, and 61 solo tackles

- Jairus Byrd has started 8 games, 2 fewer than McGee, and has 20 pass breakups, 9 INT, and 33 solo tackles

- Donte Whitner has started 10 games, same as McGee, and has 7 pass breakups, 2 INT (1 TD), and 31 solo tackles

- Reggie Corner has started 5 games, 5 fewer than McGee, and has 6 pass breakups, 1 INT, and 40 solo tackles

Then there's everyone's beloved Terrence McGee: 10 starts, 6 pass breakups, 1 INT, 37 solo tackles.

Sorry guys, but for $7M/year, he needs to play better football than Reggie Corner.

Combine those gaudy stats with the fact that the average QB rating on passes thrown to McGee's coverage area (see the final column--all the way to the right--on profootballfocus.com) is 104.1, and I say we've got a $7M guy that should be playing limited snaps in the nickel defense.

based on all this. lets cut him too! tbd= cut everyone, moorman punts to byrd all day long!

that wont get it done!

That explanation is better than your one line original post. I think it is too early to pronounce him a bust or a semi-bust. But considering as we have seen life without him (at the corner position) and with the other glaring holes we have, I too would not be averse to trading him for a high pick or a good lineman (preferably OL). I would add Lynch to that list also...

People always have these trade ideas, but really, trades rarely happen. Players are overvalued by the fans for the most part. Could we really expect to get better than a 3rd rounder for either Lynch or McKelvin (I would rather not trade either btw). I'm also curious what makes McKelvin a not so smart guy, other than most peoples opinion that he should have taken a knee on the kickoff.