Weekly Orakpo vs. Maybin thread

BLZFAN4LIFE

Nah, why would we want Orakpo when we can have Aaron "the project" Maybin? When Orakpo slipped to us at 11 it was the no-brainer of the century to take him. Orakpo has more sacks than Maybin has tackles.

News: Orakpo had a career day recording six tackles, four sacks and a forced fumble. He now is tied for the team lead with 11 sacks on the season.

Spin: Orakpo played more defensive end this game because the Raiders were in a lot of three wide receiver sets. This forced the 'Skins to play nickel defense where Orakpo rushes the passer. It's also worth noting Albert Haynesworth, who normally draws double teams, did not play.

Quick, someone please tell me how Maybin is going to be great in 3 years!

Nah, why would we want Orakpo when we can have Aaron "the project" Maybin? When Orakpo slipped to us at 11 it was the no-brainer of the century to take him. Orakpo has more sacks than Maybin has tackles.

News: Orakpo had a career day recording six tackles, four sacks and a forced fumble. He now is tied for the team lead with 11 sacks on the season.

Spin: Orakpo played more defensive end this game because the Raiders were in a lot of three wide receiver sets. This forced the 'Skins to play nickel defense where Orakpo rushes the passer. It's also worth noting Albert Haynesworth, who normally draws double teams, did not play.

A blind man could have made this pick. Orakpo was the clear cut no brainer that our front office had no brains to make.

A blind man could have made this pick. Orakpo was the clear cut no brainer that our front office had no brains to make.

Oh, but Orakpo is just another "workout warrior" and he played his college ball at Texas. He's doomed to fail. :thumbsup:

Actually, soemone here said it would be 5 years.

Living in the Metro DC area, the Redskins are obviously the home town team.

After watching the Bills game yesterday, I turned on the Skins- Raiders game, and was pretty impressed.

Yes- I was mainly watching for Orakpo and all the former Bills castoffs to see how they perform (M. Williams, Fletcher).

Orakpo was positioned all over the defensive line. He was running stunts, rushing from the outside to the inside and BEATING Guards! Then he would come in off the edge with a speed rush, and either get a sack or disrupt the offense and what they were trying to do.

Granted, it was the Raiders- man, does Jamarcus Russell not suck with a capital 'S'?- but Orakpo was a beast last week against the Saints as well. He consistently drove back the LT of the Saints into the backfield, and on the next play would put on this speed rush that was frightening.

I was watching Maybin yesterday, and not only did he get royally burned on the outside on one play (where he has outside contain), but somebody ELSE made an average tackle for no gain and he was jumping up and down like an idiot.

Maybin may develop into something down the road, but for a team with needs such as the Bills, Orakpo is the here-and-now.

I shudder to think what we would be like with a few simple changes in our drafting these past couple of years. Drafting Ngata instead of Whitner. Outbidding Miami for the services of LDE Cameron Wake. And drafting Orakpo instead of Maybin.

That's a scary defensive line.

Again, who cares. You have a team in the Skins that threw Orakpo to the wolves to see how he would do, if he failed once or twice they kept him in. Then you have the Bills coaching staff, who has no idea how to use Maybin even though they were the people who drafted him. Personally, I could give two craps about Orakpo, Peters, etc. I care about the Bills.. I do believe that Maybin will work out well for this team if utilized better.

You know, this is not 20/20 hindsight for me, when Orakpo fell to us I thought it was a nobrainer to pick him. I just felt this guy was NFL ready. I could not believe it when they picked maybin. Actually I could believe it, which is the sad part.

nothing like this thread to get me fired up on a monday morning. I remember sitting there on draft day and my jaw dropped when they passed on Orakpo as he was the player I hoped they would draft. Funny how my buddy who is a redskin fan was sitting next to me was extremely happy when the Skins took him.

Makes me want to call and yell at the Bills front office...anyone have the number?

nothing like this thread to get me fired up on a monday morning. I remember sitting there on draft day and my jaw dropped when they passed on Orakpo as he was the player I hoped they would draft. Funny how my buddy who is a redskin fan was sitting next to me was extremely happy when the Skins took him.

Makes me want to call and yell at the Bills front office...anyone have the number?

The funny thing is that this isn't a hindsight issue. You can look up draft day on this board's archive and see that a lot of us were both shocked and pissed that the Bills passed on Orakpo. There were however, a few guys that liked the pick, tauting Maybin as the best pure pass rushing DE with the fastest first step in the history of the universe. :wallbash::wallbash:

I think Maybin would be alot better right now if he had gotten more play throughout the season. They should have put him in at OL a long time ago. Its not his fault we had Dickboy

Was that a Freudian Slip?

I can't really blame them for not playing him more at the start of the season...He had that stupid hold-out and we still had a shot at a respectable season. After we blew our playoff chances (Mathematically i'm sure it was later, but i put that moment right after the Browns game) they should have had him in a lot more than they did. Get the kid the reps, even if he's not your best player at that position.